Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve been wanting one for a while, not sure why, no real need, but I had read some pretty positive reviews of the RIA-imported, Czech-Republic-made revolver with a 3” barrel and six-round cylinder that takes moon clips. It will fire 9mm (and .380 ACP) without moon clips, but you need to punch the empty shells out. It’s supposed to be S&W K-frame size.

I won’t have hands-on for a couple of weeks, but looking forward to it. I’m not sure what role it will fill, it’s more of a fun-gun right now (plus I have thousands more extra 9mm ammo than .38.,357). Is there room in your arsenal for a 9mm revolver? I’m still tempted to get the Ruger LCR in 9mm as BUG, but this AL9.0 is larger. I don’t have any revolvers that use moon clips, so I’m interested to see how those work as far as speed reloads (yeah, I’ve seen videos…faster than regular speed-loaders for us reloading mortals).

Anybody have hands-on with this Czech 9mm revolver? I’ve read it’s setup to where you can remove the grips and manually adjust the main trigger spring to reduce the DA trigger pull…never heard of that before (outside of just replace the spring). It’s also supposed to fit S&W K-frame sized holsters.

Stock and stolen image...

ROCK6

·
Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
1,971 Posts
Looks pretty sleek. Like Jack, I don’t have that one in particular but I’ve had other moon clipped revolvers. I can’t say I like those over speed loaders. All the moon clips I used bend easily in a pocket and mess up the gun. You might want to get their own pouch to carry them in. YMMV though. Might be fun to shoot SMG loads out of it if the frame and cylinder can handle +p+

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the moon clips I used bend easily in a pocket and mess up the gun. You might want to get their own pouch to carry them in.
That's a good point and I've been looking for some smaller speedloader pouches for the full moon clips. I've got 15 TK Custom moon clips coming in, but need to find a smaller belt pouch to carry and protect.

ROCK6

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,674 Posts
After examining the ballistic differences between 9mm and .38 special I decided that having a 9mm revolver was redundant; when I could load (surplus) 9mm slugs into either .38 or .357 brass and have more load versatility in a .357 revolver... Why settle for mediocrity?
Edit; A 115gr 9mm fmj slug in a .357 can shoot very, fast, flat and accurately.

I used to use 9mm to help recover from the twitchies after shooting heavier loads/calibers, then my favorite 9mm pistol developed extraction issues. since then I have moved away from the caliber almost entirely.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
484 Posts
After examining the ballistic differences between 9mm and .38 special I decided that having a 9mm revolver was redundant; when I could load (surplus) 9mm slugs into either .38 or .357 brass and have more load versatility in a .357 revolver... Why settle for mediocrity?
I used to use 9mm to help recover from the twitchies after shooting heavier loads/calibers, then my favorite 9mm pistol developed extraction issues. since then I have moved away from the caliber almost entirely.

Enjoy!
One thing to be aware of if loading 9mm bullets into 38/357 brass- the 9mm bullets will be a tiny bit smaller and may not achieve proper neck tension, depending on your dies

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
A gun shop just over the border in Arkansas had a RIA Czech revolver in 22LR. I handled it. Seemed nice.
I think the price was decent as well.

This Czech company has been around for a long time. I've been meaning to check one out...

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A gun shop just over the border in Arkansas had a RIA Czech revolver in 22LR. I handled it. Seemed nice.
I think the price was decent as well.

This Czech company has been around for a long time. I've been meaning to check one out...
I've only handled one, but they seemed like quality revolvers. Don't expect mine to arrive until after New Years, but I have a dozen moon clips already :)

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Rock6 I didn't see this thread until just now. I started a thread on the 22 caliber guns yesterday so I hope I didn't step on your toes. Oops!

Reactions: stroo and ROCK6

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rock6 I didn't see this thread until just now. I started a thread on the 22 caliber guns yesterday so I hope I didn't step on your toes. Oops!
Not at all, I'm genuinely curious as to the reviews of the Czech-Republic ALFA series revolvers, so that help as well, thanks!

ROCK

·
Prepared in NH
12,874 Posts
Maybe this ........ Taurus 692 7 shot - swapable cylinders in 38/357 and 9mm
Of note, street price is much less than indicated on their webpage.

~n~
I have the 3" version that looks like this: Taurus® 692 357 Mag / 38 Spl +P / 9mm Luger Matte Black 3.00 in. Ribber Grip® (taurususa.com)

All the Taurus pricing has gone up a bit over the past couple of years. When I bought my 692, the Taurus retail price was lower than now, and I paid less than that older retail pricing.

I managed to get the 692 around the end of 2019.

Great shooter. Nice to have the option to go from 357/38Spl to 9mm with a very, very easy cylinder swap out.

I know that Taurus pistols and some revolvers had a very bad rep back in the 80's and 90's but they really cleaned-up their game with upgraded manufacturing processes since then.
(I have 2 Taurus 357, including a stainless tracker in 4", and a rossi 92 in 357, and a PT-1911 AL = and all are great shooters with zero issues ever).

·
Semper Fi
10,657 Posts
I briefly flirted with having my daughter pick up a 9mm revolver for home defense as she already has a lot of 9mm ammo I gave her. However after hearing about the possibility of the cartridge having the bullet jump the crimp and lock up the cylinder I dropped that idea.

Fun gun for range and plinking but not something to bet your life on.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I briefly flirted with having my daughter pick up a 9mm revolver for home defense as she already has a lot of 9mm ammo I gave her. However after hearing about the possibility of the cartridge having the bullet jump the crimp and lock up the cylinder I dropped that idea.

Fun gun for range and plinking but not something to bet your life on.
Yeah, I did a lot of research, but as long as you're using quality brass ammo, the bullet jump isn't a concern. I talked to two owners and any issues were related to cheaper ammo. It is something to consider, but I'll have to do my own evaluation and test out that concern.

ROCK6

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I can't figure out why anyone would want to fool with moon clips if they didn't have to. I have a Colt WW I army ordinance in 45 ACP and the only reason I keep it is for collector value. I hate messing with the moon clips. I would much rather shoot 38 Special or 45 Long Colt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts