Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in May I had bought an AMD 63 parts kit from gun broker for 170$ with the intentions of building an AK from the kit. I had read everything I could find on the subject but had doubts about weather I could do it with the tools I had. It seemed pretty straight forward but I had no spot welder just an 90 amp gasless wire feed welder to weld the lower rails onto the receiver and no press . I tried using a laser cut receiver blank and did not like the results besides the thing had no magwell dimple I had to also build this too. So I decided to build a grass hopper jig to bend a flat cost was aroung 80 bucks. Well I built it and beefed it up a bit figuring it would need it. It did. I ended buying 8 or 10 flats all together. Five were scrap the others were usable(the trick is to hammer the hell out of it while pulling it thru the jig) Now came the drilling part I drilled out the rivets in the front and rear trunnions to tap them and build it with 10-24 cap screws. I must have Broke 4 taps trying this no go. This was really pissing me off. I'm a machinist I should be able to do this asleep. Screw it I welded it. Drilled out the front trunion rivet holes to 3/16 put the receiver over it lined everything up and layed 4 nice beads in the holes and kept the mig gun at a 90 degree angle (straight into the drilled holes). They came out fine!! Hey it worked and I closed my eyes when I welded the beads cuz my welding helmet head strap was busted! The holes near the mag well were tapped so I screwed in the short 10-24 screws and tacked them welding it from the magwell hole They came out great also the weld just covered the whole thread like a tiny mushroom. The rest of the build I just used screws and sealed them with west systems epoxy and high strength filled mixed in for good measure.The first rifle took 4 months to build I bought another kit from apex this one took a week to build and my buddy wanted one this took 6 hours to help him make it. What I learned was there is ALWAYS another way of doing things. 1 use flats with all the holes drilled and the rails allready bent and machined this with save you one big big exedrin moment. 2 A weld is much stronger than a rivet or screw I used .030 wire .023 would have been better I think. 3 Dont spend big bucks on a expensive paint or coating I went to lowes and bought flat black 1200 degree grill paint for 3.99 and painted all the metal execpt the mags it looks really nice. 4 I have a nice fire pit in my back yard I cook Kielbasa on it this is how I heat treated the lower rails. I made up 6 sets . The receiver was heat treated the same and it did not warp and had a vary nice case coloring blue. I fired bolth gunsover 200 rounds of wolf ammo no jams. And finally weld the lower rails on instead of spot welding them. I welded them on befor I bent the receiver in the bending jig this gave me really good access to put on nice heavy welds to hold them on much better than any spot weld so steel cases are no problem stripping off the ejector rail. First gun cost around 500$ the next was half that. If you really want one hurry up and get a kit befor they are gone. They are still available I saw some on the net today besides they don't need to be registered so the Gov dosnt need to be in on your build. I built these guns in a dirt floor garage by the way.... I'll download some pictures next week.

Mikey

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Did you temper the receiver after heating it?The only way I'd try a weld-build would be if I had access to a TIG welder.Rivets are still the best way to go,in my opinion.Not saying a weld won't work.If I was a machinist,and had access to mill and lathe,I'd just reverse engineer a milled receiver,and build upon that.You could even just machine off the ends of a cut receiver,build a center section,and tig it together.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
You could even just machine off the ends of a cut receiver,build a center section,and tig it together.
This is considered the part of the kit that is the "machine gun" and the only way you are allowed to reconstruct it is with a physical BATFE approval. You would have to send it to them after reconstruction to verify one of two things, 1 is that it only accepts semi auto parts. 2 would be that it accepts no parts to make a real firearm (dummy only.)

For starters, they NEVER approve reconstructed receivers. (NEVER)

Also it is hard to get approved for a dummy gun built on exact parts (HARD).

Personally you can build an exact copy of XYZ receiver and never have to worry. SOOOOO get a hold of a complete semi auto milled receiver and reverse engineer that baby. Then post a copy of the plans in our downloads section :)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I would agree with you,if you actually used the original center section.The section that was cut out,if you could even find it.The front and rear stubs are trunnions at most.
Heres a thread from AKFILEs that dealt with this issue,even has an ATF letter for reference.As far as I know,ATF hasn't amended this letter,but who knows.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/building_a_firearm.pdf
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41835

It looks as long as you don't incorporate the ability to accept the happy parts,you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
AGI has a great video that I ordered called "Building the AK Semi Auto Rifle". I'm not affiliated with them, but I've got 18 of their videos that I've purchased. AGI has some good stuff and their AK Build is no different.

I learned that it takes a lot of force to push that barrel into the trunnion. He also uses help to hold the receiver while he's riveting it. I gather (haven't built one - got it for the info) that if you drill it has to be just right. Probably better to buy a pre-drilled flat. Some things aren't needed but can help, like a bucking bar, rivet cup, etc. It's also a good idea to check the head space. And when you test it set it on a tire and rope it down.

And he actually tested his without first 'tiring' it and without the pistol grip! Yep, just the stock and tilting it away from himself. Worked like a charm, but he's a pro of course.

I was going to do a few builds, but kit prices are getting expensive and I've eyed a nice Yugo M70AB2 that I'm going down today to get. But I'm fascinated by the art of the smith.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If its the same agi video I saw,the guy used the caveman approach to building.A hammer to fold the flat over? And the rails?He doesn't full heat treat it either.The receiver ends up with hammer marks all over it.The best bet is a jig,with top rail bending capabilities.If you use a flat.Get an NDS receiver,never look back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amd63/m63

finished project: cammo acu marine pattern stock set with a galil fore end ,t-6 stock,and saw grip, custon green engine paint, g2 trigger, tapco muzzle brake .

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I have a build question. Its not legal to sell a home build but its legal to build one.

What do you do with them when you no longer want them? Or will they come around and collect them all anyways, and they already planned for the builds?

Can you will them to your children?

It just seems asinine and mentally feeble to make a bunch of stupid laws like that that are against each other, not clear, and wide open for lawsuits.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Did you bead blast the barrel and action before painting? Heat it?
I've done numerous coatings on diffent firearms,and always found it advantageous to blast and heat,prior to coating.And degreasing,geez,degrease the blazes out of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts