Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no expert on Russian arms. So I'll ask the experts here. My Arsenal SGL-31 came with the US made muzzle brake for the 922 compliance. I'm looking at possibly getting an actual Russian style.....or as close to the Russian as I can get but not familiar with the different style brakes.

Here is the US made Arsenal brake:

Here is an "East German" chrome-lined brake with cut "zig-zag" style:

Or how about something more modern like this Midway brake:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...brake-m14x10-lh-thread-ak-47-ak-74-steel-blue

Who has experience with these and is there any noticeable difference between them? Which is the closest to the real-deal Russian and does it make much difference?

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The midway one is a POS.
Thanks. Perfect kind of feedback I was looking for.

E German is good
Yours is probably fine, is it 24mm reverse thread or 14mm?
Honestly, I have no idea.....whatever the Arsenal comes standard with.

Site says:

"24x1.5 right-hand threads, muzzle brake"

I would check out К-VAЯ
I'm always on that site buying mags and parts when I can!

:thumb:

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Someone made one in stainless steel, I forget who, it was something like
USABreak. Anyone know the site?
They made one in 22mm for the Romanian front sight post which is different from the others that use 24mm.

I think your Arsenal is a good one.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have the arsenal,Russian and Bulgarian and cant tell them apart when shooting,they all functioned the same.
But if you feel the need
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=417c03c73c12fcaecdd4e1ab2853b887
Become a member here and you will find that what you seek for your AK.
There are bulgarians on there now for sale and there was a guy that was selling a dozen or so russians,both early (hammered) with and without collar and the newer type with the smooth finish.
I like East German AK parts because I feel they had some of the best quality parts.
So like already said Robert RTG is good to deal with.
There is also Apex,copes who are on this board alot etc.
Kvar is spencive but every part I ever got from them was brand freakin new and you can beat new when dealing with surplus parts most of the time.

I would just stick with arsenal and keep your U.S. parts count correct.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Having used the old school slant brake, AK-74 style, and another type I bought. One thing you will get with the 74 brake is alot more noise, as with any 'brake'. It does add unneeded length to a rifle, and on mine you have to remove it to get the cleaning rod out.

The recoil isn't really that bad where its really that noticeable having it on there. On auto you might see a difference keeping it on target. With so many slight variations out there I wouldn't put to much effort into finding a 'Russian' one.

Not sure how somebody would ascertain your compliance. I have never noticed 'made in USA' on these various parts. And who carries around a stack of receipts for parts they may have bought. Not that I have ever been challenged anyways.

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure how somebody would ascertain your compliance. I have never noticed 'made in USA' on these various parts. And who carries around a stack of receipts for parts they may have bought. Not that I have ever been challenged anyways.
My parts do have a "US" stamped on them. Even the muzzle brake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts