Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this Wasr 10 with no coating or any refinishing. The handguard/lower and buttstock was just smooth sand down stocks. Need help/tips, type of supply and how many coating is needed to refinish the furniture?

thanks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I used a wood stain in cherry and went lighly on the but stock as it soaks it up fast and will get really dark. The forgrip I did the same. Just take it and lightly sand it smooth and then stain it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Get a polymer stock and you will be happier because you will not have that pin in the front grip that brands you when it gets hot from the barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rubbed mine down with about 6 coats of lemon oil, and then about six coats of paste wax, for water proofing/durability... Now its soft as a baby's butt and has that nice wood look and feel... Plus the wax instead of stain brings out the natural color of the wood, which is beautiful imo...

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I sanded the wood until it was smooth, used the stain of my choosing "classic american oak" I think...applied enough coats to suit my liking, and applied polyurothane.

Just get the stain+poly of your choice and it'll tell you what to do one the label....Only Tim Allen could fudge this up.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Go to lowes or home depot and take a look at their stains they have on hand. find a color you like. It's that easy. while you are there pick up some sandpaper and a few brushes.

dont forget a good sheelack or a nice sealer to put on top.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,481 Posts
Spar varnish makes a great, easy to apply water resistant coating for stocks. You can get a small can of it cheaply in any Lowe's or Home Depot. If you want to stain the wood, look for it there too. Use water based. It applies more evenly.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Sand it smooth.
Stain it the way you want (light coat applied with a rag--then excess wiped away)
Use a waterbased stain.
Then take water-based Varathane floor finish and give it three or four coats.
Make sure it is flat finish Varathane.
It think the stuff is called "diamond coat" by Varathane.
You can get it in small pint sized cans--you won't even use this much.

When it is cured up--go over the finish lightly with some steel wool to smooth out the brush marks, bubbles, etc.

This will give you a perfect durable finish on the furniture.

Here's a photo of the finished product.
This is a project that I did on my Saiga.
Note the cut-off forward hand grip and the reshaped lower handguard.
This is Romanian furniture reworked and refinished.

The cut-off hand guard will give you an idea of the "before."

ST

Attachments

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
I sanded it and used red mahogany. Finished it up with a couple coats of polyurethane
Did the same. My pics died though.

Get a small can of stain from your local hardware store. After sanding, wipe it one with a rag, and quickly wipe it off with another rag.

If you don't wipe it off, it will turn the wood almost black.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
If you want to dump the front handle just hack it off with a hand saw leaving lot of room for shaping.

I shaped mine using a drill press and a drum-sander in the bit.
I used 60 grit and worked it down close to the shape I wanted.
You have to be careful not to take off too much.

When you get it close--then work it by hand with 60 grit until you like the contours.
I just copied a forward grip I saw off the internet and approximated its shape.
Make sure it is symetrical on both sides.
Examine it looking down the front/back periodically.
Do not take off any material from the ends where it fits into the grip retainers.

When you get it about where you want it, do a finish sanding (by hand) with 100 grit.
That's it--don't go crazy.

You could also use sealer coat before you apply the stain.
This will keep the stain from bleeding ouit in any soft spots/defects in the wood (recommended).

Then apply the finish coat as instructed above.

ST

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah I really don't like those funky verticle wood grips on AK's. I'd rather have a plastic mall ninja AK than those funky things.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
i'm just guessing, but those grips were probably designed to help during full auto fire.
since mine's a semi, it's gotta go.:)
They offer better heat protection over the std forearm. They grew on me. I originally wanted to cut it down but after awhile, I found I liked them.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I sanded and prepped mine and then stained it with 2 coats of walnut finish and then about 4 coats of clear satin wipe on poly. it came out real nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts