Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
If you can lay your hands on an AK--then do so, and then stock up on hi-cap mags (see J&G in Prescott AZ).

If all you can manage is an SKS--then also lay your hands on this.
But do not use Tapco furniture (junk!).

Go this route....

1) Marcus mag adaptor.
2) Tapco 20 round mags modified for the Marcus adaptor.
3) Russian figerglass jungle stock for furniture.

ST

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP here.

FYI
Have a couple of AKs. Latest is an Arsenal and I think it's GREAT.

I just have no experience with SKS (despite holding an 03 FFL for about 12 years :(
I know some folks are infatuated with the SKS so I thought I'd ask.

·
Centurion
361 Posts
OP here.

FYI
Have a couple of AKs. Latest is an Arsenal and I think it's GREAT.

I just have no experience with SKS (despite holding an 03 FFL for about 12 years :(
I know some folks are infatuated with the SKS so I thought I'd ask.
Oh the SKS is an great rifle. It is the first one I purchased. At first I had big plans for it to. I was going to put the Tapco stock on, buy up a bunch of the 20 rounders, you know all the bells and whistles. What I later figured out was I could of just went with the AK for a little more and would of had everything I wanted to begin with. I dont regret buying it one bit. I just realize that there is no need to dump a bunch o dough into it.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
IF it wasn't for 922, you wouldn't have as much options with AK's or SKS as far as mods and parts go.

I have a Saiga conversion and a couple of SKS rifles. I prefer the SKS rifles. Maybe just so used to them, or I prefer a regular stock over the pistol grip.

When the magazine is empty, I want the bolt to hold open. I'm pretty sure there isn't much options for the SKS in this regard. I could be wrong, I'm in NY and there isn't too many options legally for the SKS.

When shooting offhand for accuracy, one thing you should do is hold the gun where it balances. With the SKS, this is right in the midle of the magazine. Anything longer than the stock 10 rounder and your job gets harder to do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you want an assault rifle on the cheap, then go with the sks you will save money and it should serve your assault rifle needs, but if you want an assault rifle you can customize to the hilt with optics and stocks grips etc then go with the AK47.

I owned a yugo sks for about a year and while i did find it to be a very acurate rifle i just hated almost everything about it, it could not accept a 30rd mag of any kind, i must have tried 20 different brands, none worked. that and it was so long the thing was like a spear with the bayonett extended.

So i sold my sks for a wasr 10/63 AK47 and i love it, just put a new stock set on mine and love having a rifle that accepts detachable 30rd mags without any problems.

My advice? get the AK.

·
I hold the high ground
378 Posts
If you can lay your hands on an AK--then do so, and then stock up on hi-cap mags (see J&G in Prescott AZ).

If all you can manage is an SKS--then also lay your hands on this.
But do not use Tapco furniture (junk!).

Go this route....

1) Marcus mag adaptor.
2) Tapco 20 round mags modified for the Marcus adaptor.
3) Russian figerglass jungle stock for furniture.

ST
Or just buy a SKS "M" or "D" for less than the price of a WASR and you will get a better quality rifle that accepts the AK mags.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Or just buy a SKS "M" or "D" for less than the price of a WASR and you will get a better quality rifle that accepts the AK mags.
I have an SKS D model, a paratrooper sks, a milled SLR95 ak, and two WASR 10's. Personally, I prefer the AK's. Accuracy wise the WASR's and SKS D are a push, the SLR95 is more accurate than either. The SKS D, while redesigned to use ak mags, doesn't do as well with them as an ak. You can have problems putting in a fully loaded mag with the bolt closed, holding the bolt open while changing mags is a bit problematic in anything but standing position. Stipper clips are slow, and I've yet to find an aftermarket sks mag mod that didn't suck. The SKS's are a little bit lighter than an ak, but only by about a half a pound. However, the setup makes the SKS's feel more front heavy to me.

While I like my SKS's, I'd take the AK any day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Like skpotamus says. if you can find a good sks m or d that can accept the AK mags then you will have AK47 like functionality for much cheaper than you could buy any AK47.

The only downside would be lack of customization on the sks but personally i think sks rifles look like crap customized. i prefer that wood antique look about them.

heres a few pics of a sks m - http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/sks/34633-new-norinco-sks-m.html

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I bought 2 tapco 20 round magazines and redone the stock by shaving the stock down to my liking and then refinishing it. I need a cleaning kit that goes in the rifle stock. I found a original Russian cleaning kits.The next was to refinish the bolt by doing the bolt modification and trigger job.

The 75 round drum I bought for kicks.The drum works great. I but the gun back to it original 10 round configuration, since I don't need this rifle for shtf. I have more modern weapons to select from.I still like the idea of being able to switch the gun back to a 75 round killing machine.With the drum mounted it would not be 922 compliant with out making a lot more changes. If the shtf who cares about being 922 compliant.lol

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I couldn't put no Tapco stock on my SKS. I like the wood stock after spending hours trimming it down. The wood has natural tiger stripes in it. The wood is beautiful. It shoots better than it looks.I been thinking about removing the bayonet and mounting a bipod in its place.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts