Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are underfolders? How do they feel, how durable is the stock? If I dropped it right on the stock, would it screw it up?

These questions answered and any feedback on underfolders would be appreciated.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
How are underfolders? Stock sux... Uncomfortable when you shoot alot... Shoots loose.How do they feel, how durable is the stock? If I dropped it right on the stock, would it screw it up? Possable... but no more than awire sidefolder.

These questions answered and any feedback on underfolders would be appreciated.
For a low roundcount gun... it'll work and looks cool.

IF your gonna shoot it alot...

Get a sidefolder/fixed stock.

I bought one just for the collection b/c I didn;t have one...

Traded it away I disliked it so bad.

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
I thought they were very uncomfortable never shot one but held them a few times, also don't think the stock would hold up well to abuse as mentioned above.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
The cheek weld on an under folder is minimal, the side folder is a bit better.

The under folder is a way more compact than a side folder when collapsed.

Both have a a hinged stock the side folder will often feels a bit more solid when extended.

It's a matter of preference more than anything else...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Vector underfolder. It is uncomfortable, hard to get a sight picture (you have to really crane your head over) and just feels weird. That being said, I am soo glad I bought it a couple of years ago ($459) new! It is Cool looking, great finish and assembly and the most compact rifle I own. Good luck finding one for a decent price right now. BTW, if you drop it on the stock, it will be fine it is a really stout construction.

Regards.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
So why do you suppose the underfolders command such a premium price?

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I have one of the Yugo underfolders. I never really liked it till I chased down some original teak foregrips to replace the black polymer, and then added an old Russian bakelite magazine and a green canvas sling. Now it's so cool, it looks came it came right off the set of "Blackhawk down" !!
As to why the UFs seem to be in greater demand, I guess it's because they generally cost a hundred bucks over a fixed wood stock version, so less of them were put out on the market. Again, just guessing.
AKs all seem to have pretty miserable cheek-weld, with those tiny wood stocks. After wrapping the left arm with paracord, as so many do, it feels a little better on the cheek.
The best cheek weld I've seen on any AK is from the Choate, one-piece synthetic stock I have on a converted Saiga. It's rock solid and shoulders up like a real rifle. Pretty cheap,too, as I recall.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only reason I would like an underfolder is because I can stash it away into more convenient places, and the weight reduction with it. I'd like to shoot one and get a feel for it. I also like the AK74 style side folding stock, it looks pretty cool too, but if i shot it folded, it just seems like it would feel awkward.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Have had 4 of them. It takes some getting used to. The stock is okay against your shoulder. As someone above mentioned they were meant for up close and personal work. They are very hardy stocks and will hold up well. No problems with them. Had both chinese and polish in past. I prefer a fixed stock in most cases.

·
Broken Richaed Grunt
589 Posts
Dittos on no cheek hold, I replaced the rifle with a fixed stock. Like my SAW(M2449) the stock gets cold....

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Only have the wifes M1 carbine in underfolder. Takes a bit of getting used to but its just fine. Different but not bad. Can hang slung over your shoulder under a winter coat. Sturdy but gets cold in the weather.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only have the wifes M1 carbine in underfolder. Takes a bit of getting used to but its just fine. Different but not bad. Can hang slung over your shoulder under a winter coat. Sturdy but gets cold in the weather.
hide it under my coat eh *devious smile* come try jack me punks and see what happens

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(QUOTE)"if anything I figured they'd be cheaper"

Nope, it's made of several pieces of stamped steel, more expensive materials and likely requiring more labor than a simple wood bustock.
As I recall, back when I was considering a Polish Vector, back when they still came with chrome bores ( and like a bonehead, I didn't get one:mad:) the price of the underfolder was about a hundred more than the standard stock.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Under heavy use they won't stand up....They were copied from the Schmiesser MP-38, MP-40 German WW2 Design.....If you have ever held MP 40, the underfolder is very loose, 3 inch play vertical slop...

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(QUOTE)"if anything I figured they'd be cheaper"

Nope, it's made of several pieces of stamped steel, more expensive materials and likely requiring more labor than a simple wood bustock.
As I recall, back when I was considering a Polish Vector, back when they still came with chrome bores ( and like a bonehead, I didn't get one:mad:) the price of the underfolder was about a hundred more than the standard stock.

Dang! You know what really ticks me off? The fact that once I'm actually able to purchase any guns, they go through the roof in prices, just my luck.
:mad:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Under heavy use they won't stand up....They were copied from the Schmiesser MP-38, MP-40 German WW2 Design.....If you have ever held MP 40, the underfolder is very loose, 3 inch play vertical slop...
Not sure about the MP40s, but the Polish, Hungarian, Chinese etc AKs are well made (for what they are) and tend to lock up tight even with typical third world maintenance. I saw them in Iraq that still functioned after being run over by a M1A1 tank (method used to crush a lot of the confiscated guns in the early part of Iraq). That said, you'll get a much better cheek weld with a fixed stock- especially an extended version such as the one K-Var sells (it's one inch longer than factory but otherwise it looks the same).

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure about the MP40s, but the Polish, Hungarian, Chinese etc AKs are well made (for what they are) and tend to lock up tight even with typical third world maintenance. I saw them in Iraq that still functioned after being run over by a M1A1 tank (method used to crush a lot of the confiscated guns in the early part of Iraq). That said, you'll get a much better cheek weld with a fixed stock- especially an extended version such as the one K-Var sells (it's one inch longer than factory but otherwise it looks the same).
:eek: Ran over by a tank! Now thats tough!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts