·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Kahn, take a deep breath and relax. Ok now post.:D:

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,837 Posts
Instead of buying used or a "new" put together by moneys in a back room, get a Saiga that is new and manufactured by the same factory in Russia as the one who makes production AKs. You can get one for $299.00 and add the conversion kit to make it a full ak for about $170.00, total cost $469.00 for a new AK47. Look at Classic Arms in North Carolina. Shoot for $479.00 they will do the conversion for you and send you a brand new AK47!

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
A few years ago you could get an SKS for $75, now at $300 they are not quite as good of a deal. Go a head and get an AK for $500 and be happy. If I had only an SKS, I would be just fine with that, good gun. If you can find a SKS for cheap, buy it, if not get an AK.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A few years ago you could get an SKS for $75, now at $300 they are not quite as good of a deal. Go a head and get an AK for $500 and be happy. If I had only an SKS, I would be just fine with that, good gun. If you can find a SKS for cheap, buy it, if not get an AK.
+ 1000 on this^^^^

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
If you could still get an SKS for a reasonable price, then an SKS would be worth it. As far as finding an AK, go to a few gun stores. One of them will have some in stock.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If it's a choice between an SKS and an AK, then an AK is better. Period.
If it's a price question, then things get tricky.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
AK. And even better: AK74... :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ak all the way! I have two that are always reliable when needed. Price verys but you can still find a great one for around $500. Ammo is cheap and available also.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Kalashnikov, the guy that designed the AK-47 swears the 7.62X39 is better than the 5.54 or 5.56. To be honest I belive he is right, the only reason that I have an AR-15 is that I want interchangeability with what the cops/military carry and the short barrel on the AK-74/5.56 will not give me the muzzle velocity that I am after only a 20 inch barrel will.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I prefer the AK47 myself.....Educate yourself on the guns and then go into a store and handle them....See what you ultimately can afford.......
Another site that can be helpful to you is www.ar15.com when your on their front page look in upper left corner and click on AK47....ALOT of good info there....Use the search feature on our forum here alot of threads are on this subject.....:thumb:

·
Always have an exit
3,711 Posts
As you can read from the above post....... most with wits about them go with the SKS and I agree.

The AK is OK if you are missing your front teeth, going bald, have a beer belly and married your sister in a secret shotgun wedding while the father of the bride is the preacher. BTW, they paid for the wedding with food stamps.

Please do not fall into this stigma, show some class and brush the lower class aside.

Do not go on your honeymoon to some back wooded single wide trailer location that does not register on any GPS location and sports a toilet paper hanger as the main feature.

SKS is the only respectable thing to own, any other 7.62x39 platform is welfare wrapped in western culture with the warm glow of Kmart lights.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
As you can read from the above post....... most with wits about them go with the SKS and I agree.

The AK is OK if you are missing your front teeth, going bald, have a beer belly and married your sister in a secret shotgun wedding while the father of the bride is the preacher. BTW, they paid for the wedding with food stamps.

Please do not fall into this stigma, show some class and brush the lower class aside.

Do not go on your honeymoon to some back wooded single wide trailer location that does not register on any GPS location and sports a toilet paper hanger as the main feature.

SKS is the only respectable thing to own, any other 7.62x39 platform is welfare wrapped in western culture with the warm glow of Kmart lights.
I don't care who ya are...that's funny right there..:D:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts