Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Hey I'm Drew
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my question is what would yall reccomend as far as my first semi-auto assault type weapon. I will have roughly 500-800 dollars to spend. Things im looking for are...
-Range
-Accuracy
-stopping power
-ammo availability (short and long term) - big one
-ammo cost
-cost and availability of parts.

If yall reccomend an AR type rifle please point out cheaper rifles.

Im looking fo shtf serious social use.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Your not likely to find an AR right now for $800. I just sold one for $1500!

The way the market is right now I would grab whatever you can get your hands on if you do not have any type of semi-auto.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Check out the CMP and order an M1 Garand for $500. Eight rounds of 30-06 and at least you will be getting a historic quality made rifle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can try to find a Gali or FN-Fal for around $1k. I just noticed ammo being able was a big thing for you. .308 is one of the least likely rounds to have a supply shortage due to it being a NATO round not used as a primary round in Iraq or Afghanistan and being a big hunters favorite.

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
Ok my question is what would yall reccomend as far as my first semi-auto assault type weapon. I will have roughly 500-800 dollars to spend. Things im looking for are...
-Range
-Accuracy
-stopping power
-ammo availability (short and long term) - big one
-ammo cost
-cost and availability of parts.

If yall reccomend an AR type rifle please point out cheaper rifles.

Im looking fo shtf serious social use.

Ak.

Everything else is out of your budget.

Check Classic Arms....

I prefer it over the AR.... Ar takes too many rounds to knock someone down and jams too easily.

·
Hunter
143 Posts
You can get a Ruger Mini 14 in your price range. I am a little bias though (big Ruger fan). The ammo .223 is readily available right now, and you can get some nice durable furniture for it to make it a lot mor tactical friendly.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
AK in 7.62. More of everything, perhaps with the exception of accuracy.
If it's your first firearm, I'd say go with something even more value, like an SKS, then use the remaining money on a good value shotgun.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I owned ALL the above (until last week then they were donated to charity, girl scouts).

Your best bang for the bucks NOW and maybe ever is a PTR91 in 308.

Another proplem solved.:thumb:

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Build an AR, I just built one for $750

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
The only AR that I would trust in SHTF scenerio would be a LWRC or the CMMP. The reason being, they are just like AK's. They are a piston driven system and can keep running like a AK. They are expenisve. The rifle below that would be a M1A, but if you buy a new one it'll cost you $1,500 or better. The next grade down as for accuracy would be a Romanian PSL. They're built just like AK's and will keep running. They shoot the 7.62x54, but you can't use 180 gr., only 150 gr or below otherwise you'll break the reciever. They are very accurate and uses 10 rd mags. They'll run you $800 and you want the Tenn. version which will be a "PSL 7.62x54 R C". In a actual AK, it's best to get one with a folding stock or underfolder for versitility. You can always put a folding stock on later though. My next rifle will will be the PSL, just cause the AK platform is so reliable. Also a PSL will out shoot a AR in distance.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
The only AR that I would trust in SHTF scenario would be a LWRC or the CMMP. The reason being, they are just like AK's. They are a piston driven system and can keep running like a AK. They are expensive. The rifle below that would be a M1A, but if you buy a new one it'll cost you $1,500 or better. The next grade down as for accuracy would be a Romanian PSL. They're built just like AK's and will keep running. They shoot the 7.62x54, but you can't use 180 gr., only 150 gr or below otherwise you'll break the receiver. They are very accurate and uses 10 rd mags. They'll run you $800 and you want the Tenn. version which will be a "PSL 7.62x54 R C". In a actual AK, it's best to get one with a folding stock or underfolder for versatility. You can always put a folding stock on later though. My next rifle will will be the PSL, just cause the AK platform is so reliable. Also a PSL will out shoot a AR in distance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
With your price restrictions, the AK is your only option. About any AR is going to be over $800 and it will only be a light club as you will have no money left for ammo. The SKS is a good choice, but the price difference between it and an AK is not as great as it once was. Since you are a new shooter, the AK will be plenty accurate enough. It's not likely that you're going to be able to make 600yd shots, so get something that will function great and is simple to break down and clean. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. I'm sure you could learn anything. The point is, they're simple to clean and operate, always work, don't break and go bang everytime. 60 million people can't be wrong, It's got to be the gun to have!:D:

·
Registered
280 Posts
get on gunbroker.com, dpms sportical ar-15 for $799.00 bid, several to choose, awesome unit for the price..comes with case, cleaning kit and 2 mags

1 - 20 of 33 Posts