Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation, I have a SAR1 Romainian AK47 and "might" consider swapping it to a fella for a Remington 700pss in .308. I already have a FNFAL, AR15, Ruger 10/2, etc and would like a nice bolt gun. Whats everyones opinion on whether the swap is a good one. THe 700 ha had 3 rds through it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bad info... it is a Rem 770 synthetic stock/blued barrel. Not sure how a 770 is diff from a 700

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
Both are used everywhere,depends on your flavor.For me if im on the move alot i prefer the semi,if im ina hide or one spot for long periods i prefer the bolt accuracy.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The 308 would be a great choice to cover any long range issues you might encounter since you already have the short and medium ranges covered well.
I'd do it! Just replaced a 308 bolt action I let go years ago. Never again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds like you got the volume coverd at short to medium range, but is a sar1 ak hard to replace ,you should be able to pick up a 700 in 308 prety easy.

·
workin on it
1,392 Posts
Could be good swap

Here is the situation, I have a SAR1 Romainian AK47 and "might" consider swapping it to a fella for a Remington 700pss in .308. I already have a FNFAL, AR15, Ruger 10/2, etc and would like a nice bolt gun. Whats everyones opinion on whether the swap is a good one. THe 700 ha had 3 rds through it.
Sounds like a logical decision to swap. Make sure your even on the trade or pony up cash. You may have more invested in the AK than the Remy. If that is one of the special packages, they have scopes mounted on them, but believe I have seen these run in adds for less than 5 bills.

308 is a good all around centerfire caliber that will deliver for hunting, defense. Ammo will be plentiful for some time. Look into it and see reviews on the rifle. Remy stuff, even intro stuff is good quality. They may have less in the trigger, stock, etc. Good luck with your trade, hope you get what you are looking for.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
If i was in your situation i'd get a Saiga .308 and convert it to pistol grip, basically be like an AK with .308.. but thats just me.

·
Unseen
667 Posts
The Remington 770 is Rem's bottom line bolt action rifle. IMO you would be a fool to make that trade. The Rem 770 will run you about $350-375 brand new, where as a used SAR is going for $600+. If you really want a bolt action rifle, sell the SAR and buy a Rem 700, or find a Rem 700 to trade for. The difference in quality between the 770 and the 700 is apples and oranges. The 700 is a far superior rifle and action. I have owned and shot both, and there is no comparison when it comes to feel and durability.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
I don't know how much you might have originally overpaid for the AK, but
if the guy wants to do an even swap w/ no extra cash for his 700, then
you will be the one getting the better end of the deal.

Top it w/ quality rings and a nice scope and you will have the most accurate
weapon in your collection. The 700 is a tack driver w/ the right load. We use
the original US made Leupold mil-dot scopes on ours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Disclaimer; I've not actually shot a 770.
With that being said, I'd be more inclined to go with the trade if it was a 700, not a 770.
I looked them over myself & thought they seemed like a good deal & did some research on them. Seems to be a LOT of negative feedback on them. Plus I got some hands on with an accutrigger Savage, & well, I'm no longer looking at the Remmies. Those Savages are crazy accurate!
Unless your AK is a total lemon, the other guy would probably be getting the better deal on this one.
The 770's seem to be going for 375 with a scope brand new. How much did u pick up the AK for?

·
Registered
210 Posts
You have some over-lap in the AR-15 and AK-47 for semi-auto 0-300 yards.

For SHTF, a .308 would add a level of distance and power you're lacking. .223 and 7.62 X 39 may not do the job over 400 yds and won't do any good against bad guys behind trees or cars doors. .308 will.

You may also have a tough time getting within 200 yds of a deer once hunting becomes a survival game that every other Tom **** and Harry is playing. In that day you may be very gladd of a bit more range.

That said, I wouldn't trade. Save your money and buy a .308. They're not hard to come by. Take it from an "old guy" be patient and wait or you'll end up with a bad case of swapper's remorse.

Best,

DD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think I am gonna hold off. I have a FNFAL (.308 battle rifle) already and can hit a gong at 400yrds with iron sites with it so I have long range taken care of. Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
If i was in your situation i'd get a Saiga .308 and convert it to pistol grip, basically be like an AK with .308.. but thats just me.
couldnt agree more have the saiga 308 lomg barrel and love it. sh ei sbig ad she is heavy but SHTF she is coming with me. $50 for 1 mag kind hurts so mke your shots count

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
couldnt agree more have the saiga 308 lomg barrel and love it. sh ei sbig ad she is heavy but SHTF she is coming with me. $50 for 1 mag kind hurts so mke your shots count
Lookup the FAL...

got 10+ mags for it, REAL accurate gun. I had a Saiga in .308 and swaped it for a Saiga 12 as I already had a .308. That Saiga .308 was a real fun gun, pretty accurate also.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hunter avoid the 770, like AR nuts avoid AK's.

Would much rather sell the AK and then buy a Stevens 200 (base model savage) and use the remainder to get a good scope.

Romanians from my limited knowledge of AK get more money than the base model AK's. May not be a stretch to sell it for 500-700 range depending on area.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts