Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my friend and i were testing out a new, well used or whatever romanian ak purchased recently. first shot, maybe something wasnt assembled right or idk. had the clip in but just opened the bolt and slid one in the chamber and shut it...fired it and their were some sparks out of the end of the barrel, maybe somewhere else, shocked the **** out of me i blinked and missed some i think.

as far as the casing, couldnt find it...we were in tall grass. if you just shoot one round does it automatically fling the casing out?

i saw some youtube videos and they seem to shoot fire at night but i was making sure nothing was hurt. if you open the bolt it looks okay but to us okay might not be good. he was thinking the casing exploded or something, but it wouldnt go out of the barrel would it? it would be lodged in around the bolt.

probably just paranoid about ruining a high priced piece of weaponry, we are just good ol southern boys...used to shotguns and pistols. i have shot a ak, and bushmaster a looong time ago...and i have a sks "also pistols and a couple tactical 12's" but wasnt sure if this was normal, around the front stock, the upper tube had smoke coming out of it. better safe than sorry. sorry to sound ignorant.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
as far as the casing, couldnt find it...we were in tall grass. if you just shoot one round does it automatically fling the casing out?
Cut the grass. Try it again, you'll probably find the empty casing this time.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Its an AK, even though it is Romanian its an AK. Its a 99% that it is working just like an SKS. Might not be accurate, might not be pretty, but its working.

The only problem that you could have is case head separation, which is where the case splits at the extractor groove, leaving the case in the chamber, and the case head anywhere from inside the receiver to outside in the grass.

If it chambered a round after this happened it is fine, if it locked a new round into the old case stuck in the chamber you would know, the bolt wont close nor will it fire again.

As for the "sparks" its ammo, actually it is the lack of quality ammo. The barrel of the AK is long enough to burn about 85-90% of the powder in the case, when you get these arrant sparks, it is pieces of solid powder, or pieces that clump together during manufacture. It happens quite often, an AK with decent ammo should create a "even" flash signature, not a pattern that causes streaks or partial fireballs. Your flash suppressor may mask these traits, be sure that the flash you have is proportionate to your muzzle attachment.

It is possible with crap ammo, that the powder is not being burned completely and upon ejection a few sparks could come from the ejection port, this is actually fairly normal.

The upper gas tube will "smoke" sometimes as it has a pressure relief hole in it, unless it is smoking something terrible, this is also something fairly normal.

I am a little concerned as to the details of this shot, it seems like it MAY be slightly out of battery, but I would fire it more with different ammo to see if the problem remains. The chamber of the AK is strong, let a few fly and see what happens.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
?????? Is this the first time you have shot an Simi-semiautomatic Gun?? I'm not saying your a dumb butt it's ok if you haven't, we just need to know where your base of understanding guns are at..

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
So you purchased the cheapest ammo you could find? Expect part of the garbage grade powder to come out of the end of the barrel as well as the breach. That dirty powder will also gum things up if your not cleaning properly. Pull the gas piston and everything else like the youtube cleaning vids and get that corrosive primer mess cleaned up with some windex before cleaning the rest.

Then buy good non corrosive ammo. (not wolf because its got the same garbage powder) with a little good yugo or russian ammo everything will be fine.

Look up m44 at night on youtube and see what wasted powder looks like. ;-)

·
Registered
56 Posts
So you purchased the cheapest ammo you could find? Expect part of the garbage grade powder to come out of the end of the barrel as well as the breach. That dirty powder will also gum things up if your not cleaning properly. Pull the gas piston and everything else like the youtube cleaning vids and get that corrosive primer mess cleaned up with some windex before cleaning the rest.

Then buy good non corrosive ammo. (not wolf because its got the same garbage powder) with a little good yugo or russian ammo everything will be fine.

Clean? AK? What?!?! :D:

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I've shot I don't know how many thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo...

It works. (Not saying it's match grade or anything) but I have no problems using it.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Sounds like good advice from everyone. Clean'er up and try again. I agree with Brew that wolf is not the best ammo but it is made for commie guns. Don't use it in an AR. Rule of thumb is commie ammo for commie guns and NATO ammo for NATO guns.

Don't ever feel bad about asking about a question. The only dumb question is the one not asked when it comes to guns. :thumb:

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts

Agreed,except about the better ammo part. An AK can digest anything, Wolf is just fine in them. Anything better and it's like throwing pearls to swine, you know what I mean? That commie Wolf stuff is what AK's were designed for. It's all made in the same factory. Russian GI stuff,Wolf,Brown Bear,Silver Bear,Golden Tiger. The Wolf Gold is made in Bosnia or Sarejevo or some Balkan country, but the rest of it's all cranked out to the same specs' in good ol' Russia

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
just my opinion but, unless you buy an AMERICAN made AK, your probably going to get a piece of **** some kid in the middle east used to do allah knows what.... AK's are reliable, you could probably take a **** in teh chamber and it would work, but they arent made to be all fancy or presentable like the AR15's. what i mean by that is, when the AK is made, it was not a big deal if big fire balls came out of oyur barrell, or if it smokes, it was just made to go bang and never stop going bang. so dont really worry about it unless something is majorly visibily wrong, ie. half the bolt is gone and replaced a sharpie, or the barrel bent alot.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
just my opinion but, unless you buy an AMERICAN made AK, your probably going to get a piece of **** some kid in the middle east used to do allah knows what.... AK's are reliable, you could probably take a **** in teh chamber and it would work, but they arent made to be all fancy or presentable like the AR15's. what i mean by that is, when the AK is made, it was not a big deal if big fire balls came out of oyur barrell, or if it smokes, it was just made to go bang and never stop going bang. so dont really worry about it unless something is majorly visibily wrong, ie. half the bolt is gone and replaced a sharpie, or the barrel bent alot.
Ah, they work. They are also made pretty well, you'd be surprised. I think that if they were made any tighter they would lose that crucial advantage they have over the M16-reliability. If they were made all pretty and close-toleranced all you'd have is an inaccurate 7.62mm AR. I admire them, but every time I handle one,strip it down, I get the distinct impression that I'm handling something that was assembled at gunpoint.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Ah, they work. They are also made pretty well, you'd be surprised. I think that if they were made any tighter they would lose that crucial advantage they have over the M16-reliability.

i didn't mean that they werent good in their own way. the way its good just isn't my cup of tea...i would rather have accuracy and range in a gun, than a gun that never has to be cleaned. but thats just me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I'm with the Doc.
What's the question?

Ken......I have no clue what you are talking about either.
"Some kid in the Middle East".....what?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Um, no.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts

then you tell me how you know you are getting a good gun if its not made in america.... and i would be even more worried because its the same peice of crap some muslim is using to shoot at our soldiers. that just doesnt fly with me, using the gun the enemy uses against us...

·
15T :)
505 Posts
okay so my friend and i were testing out a new, well used or whatever romanian ak purchased recently. first shot, maybe something wasnt assembled right or idk. had the clip in but just opened the bolt and slid one in the chamber and shut it...fired it and their were some sparks out of the end of the barrel, maybe somewhere else, shocked the **** out of me i blinked and missed some i think.

i saw some youtube videos and they seem to shoot fire at night but i was making sure nothing was hurt. if you open the bolt it looks okay but to us okay might not be good. he was thinking the casing exploded or something, but it wouldnt go out of the barrel would it? it would be lodged in around the bolt.

probably just paranoid about ruining a high priced piece of weaponry, we are just good ol southern boys...used to shotguns and pistols. i have shot a ak, and bushmaster a looong time ago...and i have a sks "also pistols and a couple tactical 12's" but wasnt sure if this was normal, around the front stock, the upper tube had smoke coming out of it. better safe than sorry. sorry to sound ignorant.
just clean the barrel.........and paranoia will cease

1 - 20 of 24 Posts