Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best type of Muzzle Brake/Flash Suppressor for an AK variant (the threaded barrel types)? I have been looking at a few different kinds, but there isn't much information on them. I was wanting something that would reduce the lift and most of the flash for night time firing. I know that the AK doesn't really need the reduction of recoil, but I have a threaded barrel. The threaded barrel needs something on the end of it, as of now it's naked. Also, please do not tell me how many US parts I need, that's all taken care of. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

·
free man
626 Posts
Those looooong 74 style brakes work well and look cool, but are really designed for full auto. In the meantime the rifle is 2-3" longer, which makes the it needlessly longer for vehicle use and such.

The US birdcage style also acts as a brake(bottom slots are closed), fwiw.

Fwiw again, some like to keep it more retro, like this Chinese variant copy(US made $17.95) maybe(altho its a flash only)...

http://dpharms.com/ak47-84s-style-muzzle-brake-p-286.html?osCsid=394e97a62d25e71779e8d7b91e873708

·
Banned
97 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Does this muzzle brake suppress any of the muzzle flash? Thanks.
Freerunner,

NO.

All a muzzle brake does is REDIRECT the muzzleflash in a different direction so it doesn't cause the front end of the firearm to rise as much.

If you want suppression of flash, you will need a 'suppressor'. Also known as a silencer. That means you must go through the ATF, pay the $200 per copy and pass their background check. Which can take as long as six months.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
A silencer is different than a flash suppressor. You can get a flash suppressor without a tax stamp.

Some muzzle devices are flash suppressors and some are brakes/compensators. The brakes reduce recoil and/or muzzle rise.
Freerunner,

NO.

All a muzzle brake does is REDIRECT the muzzleflash in a different direction so it doesn't cause the front end of the firearm to rise as much.

If you want suppression of flash, you will need a 'suppressor'. Also known as a silencer. That means you must go through the ATF, pay the $200 per copy and pass their background check. Which can take as long as six months.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Flash suppressors aren't all they're cracked up to be, they suppress the muzzle flash, not eliminate it, thus still making you visible at night. The only true item that will almost if not totally suppress a flash is a silencer becasue the flash expands out behind the first few baffles keeping it from exiting the end of the can. Get a good compensator, rapid well placed shots on a target are more important than hiding the flash b/c they're gonna know really quick where you are anyway.

Reactions: Plagued707

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
A silencer is different than a flash suppressor. You can get a flash suppressor with a tax stamp.

Some muzzle devices are flash suppressors and some are brakes/compensators. The brakes reduce recoil and/or muzzle rise.
I hink you mean that you can get a flash suppressor WITHOUT a tax stamp.

A Reguar suppressor (Silencer) requires a $200 tax stamp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Flash suppressors aren't all they're cracked up to be, they suppress the muzzle flash, not eliminate it, thus still making you visible at night. The only true item that will almost if not totally suppress a flash is a silencer becasue the flash expands out behind the first few baffles keeping it from exiting the end of the can. Get a good compensator, rapid well placed shots on a target are more important than hiding the flash b/c they're gonna know really quick where you are anyway.
I don't know about that, this one seems to work pretty well.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If you do not need muzzle flip compensation or a muzzle break, then dont buy one! The Ak74 style muzzle break is LOUD!! The muzzle break/flash supressor combo units do both poorly. Decide what you want. If you want flash reduction then go with a smith vortex. If you need muzzle flip compensation, then get an AK47 brake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts