Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Sold the AR awhile back and got the black rifle bug again. This time I'm getting an AK. In AR world Magpul mags were boss, but I haven't been able to find what the Ak gold standard is.

FWIW I like 5 shot and 30 shot equally for different reasons.

Metal or plastic doesn't matter, whatever is more reliable and won't fall to bits after a couple runs.

Thanks!

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
First and foremost, as much as it pains me to have to say this : Avoid ALL American made AK mags !!! Stick with Russian,Chinese,East Block metal mags.
But, the synthetic Bulgarian "Circle 10" waffle mags have long been considered the best that have ever been made, your "Gold Standard". I love mine, as do all others that own them ( from everything I've ever heard or read).
But they'll run you significantly more than metal mags, and won't really work any better.
Last I checked, AIMsurples and Copes distributing has some great deals on east-block steel mags, like under $10 bucks. Even the uber-cool Russian bake-lite mags are easily found and relatively cheap these days, as are the Rusky steel 40-rounders (also cool to have ;) )
After the Assault-Weapon Panic of '08, it's now largely a buyers market again, so shop around, don't get impatient.

edit: Here you go, brand new steel Bulgarians from AIM for $8.95 each, $7.95 if you order 10+. I have some of these, and like they say in the ad, they're pristine and top-quality. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47Bulg&groupid=15

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thanks for the replies. Very interesting that USA made mags do not come recommended.. Different dynamics I guess with the Ak but nonetheless...cheap too.

This just keeps getting better and better, I love the Ak already.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
wow thanks for the replies. Very interesting that USA made mags do not come recommended.. Different dynamics I guess with the Ak but nonetheless...cheap too.

This just keeps getting better and better, I love the Ak already.
I've heard decent things about one U.S. brand, "Us Palm" or something 'nother.

http://www.uspalm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=1

There was a thread on them last year which had some decent reviews IIRC, but they had poor feed lips or something and weren't strong enough to survive falling...

Wouldn't buy them for $30 though...No way. Wouldn't catch me dead with them for that price. That's two or three good mags right there...My 47s will always use steel thank you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Bulgarian "Circle 10" polymer mags are the gold standard. 30 rounders and 40 rounders are equally reliable.

My personal favorites though are the Hungarian 20 round "tanker" mags.

I would add too that the Chinese mags do not have the rib on the back, but are very good mags as well.

You basically can't go wrong with any commie surplus mag.

·
Mad Man with a Box
4,823 Posts
Bulgarian "Circle 10" mags.

FYI, they also function perfectly in AK mag compatible SKS rifles which are more picky about magazines.

And as said before, avoid american-made mags, unless you have to play the 92(r) game.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i have been stocking up on Hungarian 20 round tanker mags, and Bulgarian New Steel Mags (check aimsurplus, only 7.95 each brand new when you buy 10 or more), and also occassionaly the yugo steel mags.

Any comblock steel mags are good to go.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I've never had any problems with any of the steel military mags. I bought piles of them back when they were a couple bucks each. Most are Chinese.

I have some of the Bulgarian waffle pattern plastic mags and I like them the best of all, but consider them to be range mags. The steel AK mags are so well made that I just trust them more.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Get the regular old doo-dah military metal bulgarian surplus mags.
They have a ridge going down the back of them.

Or....

Get some Chinese intermediary mags.
These have no ridge on the back--and are rounded smooth.
They have a better feel and slide in easier into a mag pouch.

I saw a big box of these kind at a Nevada gun show for 10 hondos each.

The Bulgarian types can be had from 5 to 15 hondos per copy depending upon where you get them.

I suggest getting them at J&G sales in Prescott AZ--best place.

ST

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also would agree with everyone else. Bought some old beat up ones for cheap and fixed them up and they all work just fine now. I do have a questing to add though, how many mags do you think one needs? I know it will vary, just your thoughts. (I am curious and thought it might be helpful to OP as well)

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
+1 to the above posts.

Steel communist are the way to go. The Hungarian 20rd mags are great for shooting from a bench.

I would recomend you try one or 2 Yugo bolt hold open mags before you stock up on them.

I have one that doesn't work in any of my rifles.

While you are at it look for some wind up drums. I have 2 chinese 75rd drums. Nice having 150rds ready to go under no spring tension.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
While I have no objection to Bulgy circle 10s, what makes them so much better than all the standard AK mags? I mean, they are polymer afterall, and you'd be hard pressed to find any foreign AK mags that don't work...

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of various Bulgarian mags in 5.45 and 7.62, including a mere one waffle mag, but I've never considered them "Gold"... I personally don't want to spend twice as much for an AK mag that works no better than a surplus mag, especially from the same Country, and same high quality. (I.E. aim surplus's Bulgarian mags right now...)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts