Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
magazine type? Pros, Cons and price?

I liked the AK polymer mag bulgaria, i heard it's military spec mags? vs Promag, Tapco and etc for commercial sales(civilian).

·
Banned
630 Posts
I purchased all steel when they were dirt cheap, when they were only 4.00 a piece....
mainly from Interordnance out of North Carolina....They used to have like new Austrian STG kits as well, bought quite a few of them for 149.00 a kit......

·
free man
626 Posts
The common Promag polys aren't thought of too well, at least from what I've gathered.

The very new Tapco polys(tried 1 and was impressed, so I got 4 more) in comparison are much nicer in both robustness and quality, imo. They don't wobble at all in my WASR 10/63 where the steels(have 11 currently) and Promag(only have 1 tho) do somewhat, ..but typically only when empty. They do seem tightish at first use, but after just a few in/outs they're as smooth anything else out there, and fit noticeably better overall then anything I've tried to date.

Having said that, most say just go steel because of the lack of confidence regarding long term durability of the plastic feed lips.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Steel mags only for an AK.

Unless the polymags are reinforced with steel, the locking tabs will break-off under the stress.

Steel mags do not fail.

T

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
The "circle 10" Bulgarian polymers are widely considered the finest AK mags around. The U.S. made Pro-mag polymers are just as widely considered so much junk. I can't comment on the new Tapco mags.
Any Russian,Chinese, or east block ( Hungarian,Bulgarian,Yugo,E.German,Romanian,etc.) steel mag is generally great quality. The U.S. made "National" steel mags are some serious crapola.

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Some of the NON US made Poly's are OK, Most of the Bakelites are Ok... but you will Never beat good old Com Block Steel mags...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steel mags only for an AK.

Unless the polymags are reinforced with steel, the locking tabs will break-off under the stress.

Steel mags do not fail.

T
Bulgarian Polymer Mags, do seem to be the top polymer out there because of steel feed lips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would love to say buy mags made in america, however in my experience(I use a full auto type 56 for work) they are crap. As in other threads stick with foreign mags.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
The waffle vs bullet bulgarian debate is merely a sales and pricing tactic.

The waffle mags are known to damage the projectile tips at times as even though they are milspec the springs come weak from the factory and allow the tips to dip down and glance off the steel. They do however come from circle 10.

The bullet mags do in fact have full steel reinforcement. Lips, plate adapter etc. They have been in production for over a decade. Our dealer seems to think two decades, but not.

This misconception has been played on for quite some time to the tune of profit. The milspec waffle mags are lower distributor cost than the bullet. There is less margin on the bullet, and by slandering it they get away with 5-10 dollars more selling a waffle, and the cost to them is less than a waffle. Allows for a double profit dip on both ends.

The fact is both work just fine.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
The waffle vs bullet bulgarian debate is merely a sales and pricing tactic.

The waffle mags are known to damage the projectile tips at times as even though they are milspec the springs come weak from the factory and allow the tips to dip down and glance off the steel. They do however come from circle 10.

The bullet mags do in fact have full steel reinforcement. Lips, plate adapter etc. They have been in production for over a decade. Our dealer seems to think two decades, but not.

This misconception has been played on for quite some time to the tune of profit. The milspec waffle mags are lower distributor cost than the bullet. There is less margin on the bullet, and by slandering it they get away with 5-10 dollars more selling a waffle, and the cost to them is less than a waffle. Allows for a double profit dip on both ends.

The fact is both work just fine.

I Don't know about all, but I know for a FACT that atleast some of the AK47 bulgarian mags with the outline of rounds on the side do NOT have steel renforced feedlips.

I've seen it when they break.

BTW, the projectile tip dammage is from the AK... not the mags.

ETA: The new generation Tapco mags are alot better (Than the first gen) but the jury's still out.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Steel.
Never and I mean ever buy anything that says Promag.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I Don't know about all, but I know for a FACT that atleast some of the AK47 bulgarian mags with the outline of rounds on the side do NOT have steel renforced feedlips.
Must have been older ones or first generation of the production. The new bullet mags have two holes in the top just like the waffles and you can see the steel lips above the follower when empty as well as see the steel in the two holes. On these the first thing I did was try to break the tabs off and they wouldn't nick or budge. I was leery at first too, but these held up to the beating just fine.

On the promag the tab just folder over about the 4-5th time it went in and didn't even make a noise or anything. Just broke right off like it wasn't even a part of it.

Over the long haul I have about half steel so there are no worries there. Not sure if I would go all polymer, unless they were the brand in the vid where they were running over them with the truck. Possibly those but they only make em for the AR right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

I've seen it when they break.

BTW, the projectile tip dammage is from the AK... not the mags.

ETA: The new generation Tapco mags are alot better (Than the first gen) but the jury's still out.
This is my bulgarian mags the bullet design. The feedlip broke while i was doing fast reload i kinda of yank it a bit hard.

The bullet design look way better than the WAFFLE, from my personal views. Sucks it doesn't have the metal feedlip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts