Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this topic has most likely already been brought up atleast 3 times, but my current situation changes the average question. I live in Taxachusetts and being a college student Im not ready yet to move to beautiful New Hampshire. I've really been looking for a 5.56/5.45 plinker/social worker to buy in my state. However, because I live in a Kommunist state, I can only go with "pre-ban" magazines/rifles. I cannot afford a "pre-ban" rifle in my state due to prices being around 1100 and up.. That being said Saiga's I BELIEVE ( and correct me if Im wrong) are MA legal in current stock configuration. A Class A license allows you to purchase "pre-ban" magazines, the reason the 5.56 comes into play. Galil and AR-15 "pre-ban" magazines are MUCH easier to find than "pre-ban" AK74 magazines, (Im not sure if "surplus" is considered "pre-ban" and correct me if Im wrong) I havent been able to find a 5.45 "pre-ban" magazine easily. Let me also state that I'm on a tight budget, 5.45 is MUCH cheaper however I do plan on investing in a simple hand reloading set up in the near future. (Hopefully Santa will get me what I want this year:upsidedown:)

Putting reloading into perspective, Im not sure how cost effective reloading 5.56 is, and by that I mean how the prices compare to 5.45 surplus. 5.56 is EVERYWHERE and thats a big thing for me, I like being able to "buy it cheap and stack it deep" in the case of 5.45 but if It'd be better to buy ammunition locally whenever I can ( a box or two here or there) and reloading will be cheaper than running 5.45. I know this is alot to ask but I just dont know where to start..any input is GREATLY appreciated.:)

·
FO
2,057 Posts
You sure relaoding 5.56 is cheaper? In my research, unless you shoot a LOT, already own the equipment, even 5.56 doesn't save you much? I could be very wrong.

I do (buy) 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 & most recently 5.45 .... that stuff (5.45) is hard not to buy, 2100 rds to my door for 280? I havent bought 5.56 in a while, I've put a LOT of 5.45 in house in the last month, similar round, but a LOT cheaper.

Not even sure about reloading 5.45, does anyone even make it in brass?

·
Parapup
692 Posts
I reload 5.56 and I find that I actually spend 3 cents more per round making it then I could buying surplus m855 (I am using 77gr SMK heat seeking exploding tips however)

5.45 is dirt cheap, and its such a cool caliber I love it. I am not sure what you mean by preban magazines, does it have to be manufacturered prior to a specific year? I have been using these and they work great, hopefully they are old enough for your purposes

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/50/products_id/851

IMO, if you are legally able to, go with 5.45

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Izhmash's website states the 5.56 AK is 23 percent more accurate than the 5.45. But the also state that 5.56 is less lethal unless fired from a 20" barrel.

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Izhmash's website states the 5.56 AK is 23 percent more accurate than the 5.45. But the also state that 5.56 is less lethal unless fired from a 20" barrel.
I was looking for some detail on that, have a link? No doubt, my AR shoots tighter groups than my SGL at distance, doesn't seem to be THAT much difference though. Both will do COM and ranges that I'd use the for.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
You sure relaoding 5.56 is cheaper? In my research, unless you shoot a LOT, already own the equipment, even 5.56 doesn't save you much? I could be very wrong.

I do (buy) 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 & most recently 5.45 .... that stuff (5.45) is hard not to buy, 2100 rds to my door for 280? I havent bought 5.56 in a while, I've put a LOT of 5.45 in house in the last month, similar round, but a LOT cheaper.

Not even sure about reloading 5.45, does anyone even make it in brass?
i reload 5.56 for about 14 cents/round... when it was up at 40 cents/round for brass stuff i was loving life... it has come down since though

dont bother justifying 5.45 in terms of reloading... if you can find brass, which you wont, you will have an even harder time finding bullets...

just buy both... reload for 5.56 and plink with 5.45, i have both, they are a good time

·
skogbeskytter
911 Posts
IMHO easy.

If already have 5.56 and don't have money to stack multiple rounds go 5.56

If starting fresh 5.45 and stack it very deep, same for 7.62

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last main concern is magazines. I can have "High-capacity" magazines but they must be pre ban. If I went with 5.56 I can easily find Galil magazines that would fit and are pre ban. However I do not know if military surplus magazines are considered pre ban? Im leaning to 5.45 but if I cant use surplus mags its useless to me.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
My last main concern is magazines. I can have "High-capacity" magazines but they must be pre ban. If I went with 5.56 I can easily find Galil magazines that would fit and are pre ban. However I do not know if military surplus magazines are considered pre ban? Im leaning to 5.45 but if I cant use surplus mags its useless to me.
I'm in NY, and we're supposed to do only pre-ban mags, but people at shows still sell brand new post ban mags. Pre-ban can be found around $15-$20 a mag usually, but post are often cheaper. As long as you aren't gonna get caught I wouldn't see a problem getting post-ban stuff. *NOTE* I am NOT condoning breaking any laws. I don't need anymore infractions :rolleyes:.

And stick with a real Russian caliber for Kalashnikovs. 5.45 or 7.62. I have a 7.62 and I love that thing. I can also find a magazine for it with less than no effort, for what it's worth.

·
Parapup
692 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after really thinking about it, Imma go with the 5.45. The AK was designed for it, and after reading bout the damage the 7N6 surplus can do I really prefer it over a 5.56. Now that my magazine situation is taken care of, I am goin to stack it deep and cheap. Does anyone know if I can actually convert a Saiga rifle in Mass? Being that all I add is AK furniture, and a pistol grip? I was thinking of getting the muzzle brake/compensator and getting it pinned. I'd be sure to stay 922R compliant as well. Im really thinking of getting one in 7.62 too. I dont think it will replace the Rusky but I do think it would be a nice option.:cool:

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
Agreed! Good plan!

IMHO easy.

If already have 5.56 and don't have money to stack multiple rounds go 5.56

If starting fresh 5.45 and stack it very deep, same for 7.62
5.56 is the American way? 5.45 is very cost effective.
Get what you can afford to get for your group or family!:eek: Think big! 20-40k rounds. What can you afford?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Does it matter? How are they going to prove something is pre or post ban?...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 5.56 and love it very acc. But when i get the money im getting one in 5.45. To me its wha you can afford. Ammo is cheap for the 5.45. So id go with it. Mags for the 5.56 is expensive. That and the 5.56 is a strait walled cartrige the 5.45 is a angled walled if your gun gets dirty the 4.45 will chamber better. Thats why the ar and m16s have the bolt assists. For fould or dirty chambers. My ak stays cleaned so i dont worry about it.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
I reaload everything but 5.56 or 7.62x39,....just don't see where I'd save very much.

Also,..I'd stay with traditional 556/223 little more common in a shtf situation. It'd be easier to resupply.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Polish steel 5.45x39 mags at 44mag.com:

http://www.44mag.com/product/steel_5-45x39_ak_magazine/ak_magazines

There pre '94 production. I haven't bought any from 44mag.com, but I have bought AR mags form them in the past and there a great company. I do have 3 steel Polish AK mags I bought at a gun show for $15 a piece and they looked pretty much like the ones in the picture on 44mag's website. I intend to re-blue or paint the steel, but they function flawlessly so far.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
What ammo is cheap for 5.45?

FMJ/ball ammo?

If the purpose of the firearm is for self defense, then don't buy FMJ/ball ammo for anything but practice. Get expanding projectiles. Compare expanding projectile ammo cost for 5.45 to 5.56 - if you can find the former. I can certainly find the latter with expanding projectiles.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
What ammo is cheap for 5.45?

FMJ/ball ammo?

If the purpose of the firearm is for self defense, then don't buy FMJ/ball ammo for anything but practice. Get expanding projectiles. Compare expanding projectile ammo cost for 5.45 to 5.56 - if you can find the former. I can certainly find the latter with expanding projectiles.
Hornady makes 5.45x39 vmax ammo:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...-CA46-E011-9D00-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

And I've been told that 5.45 hollow points tend to not feed well, so I guess the vmax ammo would be the only good option for a true self defense application. But don't forget that 5.45 FMJ ammo tumbles more than than the 5.56 FMJ when it hits flesh and breaks off into fragments when it hits bone due to its hollow cavity at the end of the bullet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I vote 5.56. I've owned 3 Norincos in this caliber. Every one of them dented the crap out of the side of the brass when it ejects. I don't know anything about reloading, but it seems like this would be a problem.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts