Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about getting an AK pattern rifle, I like the ak 74. Pros and cons of the 74 vs the 47? Thanks. Any advice on good brands, ammo, mags, etc? Don't know all that much about aks and I'm on a small budget but want quality. Any help is appreciated thanks

·
Bugged out already
3,937 Posts
I have both the AK 47 and the AK 74. I love them both, but offer that I think the 47 is the better option simply due to better availability of guns, parts, and ammo.

I have a WASR, Saiga, and a CAI made AK 47 and a Saiga AK 74. All perform brilliantly with over 1000 rounds each (some much more) without any issue. I'm probably more partial to my Saiga's but my CAI 39v2 pistol is super accurate equipped with a red dot and the most fun to shoot. The WASR is what I have at the cabin to protect against wolves and 2 legged critter.

I got the AK74 literally days before the ban on certain bullets and was able to get ammo cheap for it. The ammo is still pretty cheap and plentiful, but I worry some about future availability. You can get parts, magazines, etc for it, but often you need to order online. With the AK47, most gun stores that sell AKs have what you need.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have both the AK 47 and the AK 74. I love them both, but offer that I think the 47 is the better option simply due to better availability of guns, parts, and ammo.

I have a WASR, Saiga, and a CAI made AK 47 and a Saiga AK 74. All perform brilliantly with over 1000 rounds each (some much more) without any issue. I'm probably more partial to my Saiga's but my CAI 39v2 pistol is super accurate equipped with a red dot and the most fun to shoot. The WASR is what I have at the cabin to protect against wolves and 2 legged critter.

I got the AK74 literally days before the ban on certain bullets and was able to get ammo cheap for it. The ammo is still pretty cheap and plentiful, but I worry some about future availability. You can get parts, magazines, etc for it, but often you need to order online. With the AK47, most gun stores that sell AKs have what you need.
I order EVERYTHING online so that's not an issue

·
Registered
186 Posts
47s are cheaper and parts for them are generally cheaper and more plentiful. Accessories, mags etc are much cheaper and more available. If you walk into any gun store parts nd mags by availability go: AR then AK47 then 10/22 then maybe a couple AK74 pieces. Few gun shops carry them. The only exception being in the next town over, there is a gunstore/ range owned by Russians. There the order would go: AK 47 then AR then AK 74 then SKS then 10/22.

Ammo is about the same price but you have more options with 7.62. Having said that 7.62 is also heavier and are less accurate at longer ranges. The 5.45 is Russia's answer to NATO's 5.56. It is a lighter, faster and flatter shooting round than 7.62 more "modern" if you will

Depends on what you want the rifle to do
I would say for HOME defense and plinking. Go with the 7.62. Better ballistics at close range.

For longer ranged shooting or for long treks (bug out) where weight is crucial you will be better served with the 5.45. I personally prefer the 7.62. Although I don't own a 5.45- I have shot several. Just MHO YMMV.

Just something to consider (I did when deciding to go AR or AK) the max effective range for 7.62 is about 300 yds but has something like a 2 1/2 foot bullet drop with no wind factor. I think they claim it will reach out to 500 yards but I wouldn't even bother. I've never tried to shoot past 200 myself. Out of 30 rnds 24 hit a silhouette with an RDS on a benchrest. But then again- if the BG is 200 yards away why can't you just... run? Better to avoid a firefight unscathed than win one and receive a bullet hole for your troubles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea I just ruled out 556. What about 5.45
5.45x39 is a good choice and the cheapest price per round for ammo. The caveat is that you must buy a lifetimes supply of ammo now while the 5.45x39 7N6 ammo is still easily available for a quarter a round or less. 5.45x39 surplus ammo is what B.O. recently banned the importation. Right now you can get that ammo cheap but later ??????

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Incorrect. According to Ammoseek, the least expensive 7.62x39 is 1c less per round than the cheapest 5.45x39. The argument for 5.45x39 being the most cost effective is wrong.
I wanted to say thanks. I usually don't buy online, most of the time I get my ammo ( none is 5.45 ) locally.. When I do buy online, I usually start with the criteria of "cheapest", but often I would choose something more to my liking- better ammo vs cheapest. Sometimes though, local places are quite close, sometimes better in that regard.. In those case, I buy locally. A few cents per round difference, in the big scope of things, is irrelevant- online or locally.

Around here locally, well, I haven't seen AK74 ammo at all. As the OP is OK with buying it online, well my 2¢ would be for him to buy it cheap and stack it deep.

If the OP has the urge to get an AK74, I say- get one... Would I ? Currently, no.. Well, I said I would not get an AK47, but I have. Do I think that other platforms are easier to buy, buy for, sell, etc ? Yep. AR's are far easier to buy -n- sell. AK47's are far more visible than 74's. But if you have the urge to get one, don't let us change your mind- go for it.. Heck, maybe the reason I don't see 74's is that the owners don't want to part with them? Who knows. .. Feed your urge ! ;)

·
Deal Finder
241 Posts
I've got a 74 and a 47.

1. People talk about parts availability a lot, but I've never had to replace a part on either rifle. I probably never will.
  2. The 74 is more accurate to a longer distance.
  3. You can carry quite a bit more 5.45 ammo than you can 7.62.
  4. The recoil is less on the 74 than my 47 and my AR-15.
  5. Ammo availability could be an issue, but it isn't at the moment.
In the end, it's your decision. Do what you want man!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Definitely get a 47 first, than get a 74 or 5.56.

The 7.62x39 is a great general purpose round and has some good power. Its' availability isn't currently at risk. 7n6 is a lot of quality for the dollar though. But 7.62x39 is the quintessential ak round, start out with it, then you can branch out into different calibers in the platform and appreciate them for what they are. When I wanted an ak in a different caliber, I went .223 for commonality purposes. .223/5.45 shoots very soft out of the ak, and has more range than 7.62x39. But that 30 cal pop is loads of fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts