Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Tennessee Guns Bulgarian AK-74. The first time I took it to the range, I was pretty happy with it. I had a round get stuck in the chamber, but I just whacked the charging handle with a hammer and it popped out. I don't think I had any failures to eject, and I put about 250 rounds through it. The next time I went to the range, I couldn't seem to get more than 2-5 rounds through it before I would get the empty brass jammed into the chamber with the new round or an empty brass sticking out of the ejection port. Every once in a while we could tear through a mag without a problem, but most of the time it was a grind. We still managed to get about 500 rounds through it. I rotated my mags (mostly surplus) in such a way so I'm pretty sure they aren't the issue, and I had problems when using Hornady, TulAmmo, and Russian surplus ammo. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. When I got home and pulled it out to clean it, I noticed the little lever that holds the gas tube on was flipped up and the gas tube was able to move around. I don't know if I didn't put it back right after cleaning it or it came up while firing or as I was pulling it out of the case. Could that have been it, or was it most likely something else? the extractor seems fine and "springy" and I can't find any obvious problems with the individual parts of the gun. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had the same problem on a tantal. Chamber was too tight. I assume the drunken monkeys at century did their usual job on yours too. You'll have to call century(or whoever made it) and get them to fix it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A tight chamber causing failures to eject? It seems to be extracting just fine, and it only got stuck in there once. It seems strange the chamber could be the issue. Also, it's an original surplus Bulgarian AK-74 barrel, so it seems strange to me that the chamber would be messed up.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
A tight chamber can cause issues if there is dirt/carbon/burned laquer from the steel cases in it. When the chamber is crudded up, the gas piston expends most of it's energy pushing the op rod/bolt to the rear unlocking and extracting the case leaving little remaining energy to fully cycle the bolt, resulting in a short-stroke. When was the last time you cleaned the heck out of the chamber with a chamber brush? I doubt the issue is the gas tube being unlatched, because AK gas tubes are fairly loose normally, defiantely not a "sealed" gas system. Work on the easy stuff first before you start looking into possible parts failures.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A tight chamber can cause issues if there is dirt/carbon/burned laquer from the steel cases in it. When the chamber is crudded up, the gas piston expends most of it's energy pushing the op rod/bolt to the rear unlocking and extracting the case leaving little remaining energy to fully cycle the bolt, resulting in a short-stroke. When was the last time you cleaned the heck out of the chamber with a chamber brush? I doubt the issue is the gas tube being unlatched, because AK gas tubes are fairly loose normally, defiantely not a "sealed" gas system. Work on the easy stuff first before you start looking into possible parts failures.
I went at it pretty hard with my 5.56mm chamber brush, but I guess I can do it some more. It's difficult to get the rod and brush straight down into the barrel with the AK, unless there's some trick I don't know.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Give TGI a call...their AK74s are suppose to be built pretty well. I don't have one yet, but I'm looking to pick up another AK74.

If your gas tube locking lever was loose, I would say that could be causing the issue since there isn't enough gas going to your gas piston tube.

Have you fired it since securing the gas tube locking lever?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
First check your front sight. Several people have stated TGI seems to be the bottom of the barrel AK sometimes, passing over the WASR for make it look like AK it should work mentality.

Make sure your front sight is vertical so the gas tube and hole in barrel aren't being blocked. Take the recoil spring out pull the bolt and let it fall down(barrel pointed down) to see if its locking smoothly enough. Take the gun apart get some break cleaner and drown the hell out of gas tube and lube the hell out of the thing, you can even use automatic Transmission fluid. If the gun is made right the rifle can fire and cycle without a gas tube provided the piston would go back in the hole (it usually wont), so don't focus on the gas tube unless it is binding the piston during the fall. Also make sure there is some tension on the extractor and ejection pin.

Beyond that have you been shooting steel and brass ammo? Many times people shoot steel then get FTEs with the brass from improper(IE heavy) cleaning of the chamber then blame it the steel cartridge coating when its actually powder build up. Gladius on this forum did a great explanation of that.

If I think of anything else I will pass it on.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent them a message and this was their response:

We haven't seen any of these in over a year so our memory has faded
somewhat as to any issues we had. The only quirk that we could remember
these having was the ejector being too high and the body of the receiver
being bowed slightly in the center where the ejector is located. Both
issues are addressed by moving the ejector up till it is parrallel to the
top rail and then squeezing the sides in with a rubber mallet till the
ejector rides close in the bolt as it slides by.

The round getting stuck in the chamber may be due to a burr in the mouth
of the chamber. Only way to fix that is to use some dye-chem on a spent
case, inset and eject, then look for scrapes in odd places and use a
dremel (carefully) to smooth it out.

Hope that helps

TGI

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it to the range again and had the same issues. I even checked the cases like TGI said and I didn't see any odd scrapes on them. One weird thing is that when I used my new Tapco 10-round mag I never had any issues. The Tapco 30-rounders still had issues, though. When I was cleaning it I noticed that the extractor was incredibly stiff, so much so I couldn't even move it by hand, so I ordered a new one. Maybe the extractor isn't letting go of the brass?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You might be able to order a spare cover and extractor from Apex. It sounds like the case might be hitting the dust cover or ejecting at an awkward angle. I would try swapping these two parts for initial diagnostics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts