Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
I have one and really like it, for a folding stock it's very well made, has solid easy to use lock up, and best of all you can still get a god check weld on it. The only issue I've seen from one is under extreme cold while being slammed on the ground the hinge pin area broke. Also I saw one break in a test where it was ran over with a truck again at the hinge pin area.

Other then those two failures it's a really well made stock with solid lock up no wobble and I personally love it.

·
Awesome
17,072 Posts
uuh, the modern AK already has a side folding stock as used on the AK74M and AK-100 series weapons.. why would you go with some cheap plastic with an equally cheap plastic hinge? and if you want a right side folder that uses the fixed stock trunnion, allows for optics to remain mounted but will still clear the ejection port i have the bonesteel arms galil style side folder on one rifle

"no compromise?" like hell it aint

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
Got one, love it. Adjusting the LOP when its new sux though, its a real pain. Its really stiff sliding in and out. It loosens up eventually

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
When I had the gunsmith do work to my AK i fondled Half a dozen aks all with different stocks.

The Zhukov side folder is alright, but the magpul fixed stock, to me, seemed more comfortable and durable.

·
2,327 Posts
uuh, the modern AK already has a side folding stock as used on the AK74M and AK-100 series weapons.. why would you go with some cheap plastic with an equally cheap plastic hinge? and if you want a right side folder that uses the fixed stock trunnion, allows for optics to remain mounted but will still clear the ejection port i have the bonesteel arms galil style side folder on one rifle

"no compromise?" like hell it aint
You've obviously never handled one. And while the Bomesteel arms stock is very nice they're not always available and 50 bucks more for something that is just as durable with less mounting options and adjustment points. This isn't the early 1900s plastic is actually rather durable these days.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
You've obviously never handled one. And while the Bomesteel arms stock is very nice they're not always available and 50 bucks more for something that is just as durable with less mounting options and adjustment points. This isn't the early 1900s plastic is actually rather durable these days.
One of the Marines attached to us (think it was one of the SMAW guys) broke (and with this weapon made it nonfunctional) his but stock but stroking a Haji.

At least with metal you can pound it back into place, and have more options to "rig it"

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
One of the Marines attached to us (think it was one of the SMAW guys) broke (and with this weapon made it nonfunctional) his but stock but stroking a Haji.

At least with metal you can pound it back into place, and have more options to "rig it"
I can tell you from experience that ComBloc side folding stocks bust when you butt-stroke someone too

·
Awesome
17,072 Posts
ive used them, i just dont think theyre some kind of phenominal god mode product because magpul makes them.. its just another plastic stock to me and where im from it gets a hell of a lot colder than when those tests were done that you mentioned... ill go with the metal stock. it has a QD mount, its not adjustable but ive never cared about that

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
ive used them, i just dont think theyre some kind of phenominal god mode product because magpul makes them.. its just another plastic stock to me and where im from it gets a hell of a lot colder than when those tests were done that you mentioned... ill go with the metal stock. it has a QD mount, its not adjustable but ive never cared about that
Who said Magpul products were Godlike?

·
2,327 Posts
There is a thread on Ar15.com has a ton of info on the whole thing including responses from Magpul on the whole cold weather thing. They're currently of the opinion that there may have been something wrong with the stock or somehow the testing induced water into the mechanism in an unusual way. Keep in mind when Rob at AKOU tested the stock he hammered it into steel a bunch of times without it breaking. (I'd link the test and thread here but it has pesky naughty words in it, hit up google.)

Personally I don't see an issue with not liking the stock because you don't like it or because you would rather it be metal, but there is no way you can tell me an aluminum stock would hold up just as well to the same abuse. Gear breaks, folding stocks are always going to be weaker then fixed stocks. They just happen to fill a niche and when used correctly they have a place.

The question here was has anyone used one and did they like it. I have, I did, and while I'll agree there are better options for the price and what you get I think this is a very good option.

·
Bonedaddy
213 Posts
I used the East German side folder for years but have switch to the AR style adjustable on my AK so its is the same as my AR

The East German was beefy and well made still have it boxed for the next rifle

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
i have both an MOE on a 7.62x39 and a zhukov on a 5.45... i like them both, but the zhukov does have adjustable LOP which the MOE doesnt.... both have the same profile butt plate so they feel nearly identical in the shoulder....

both take the magpul cheek risers.... so i look at it as to what fits your use case... the folding is nice to fit in tight spaces and the MOE stock is just plain solid...

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
i have both an MOE on a 7.62x39 and a zhukov on a 5.45... i like them both, but the zhukov does have adjustable LOP which the MOE doesnt.... both have the same profile butt plate so they feel nearly identical in the shoulder....

both take the magpul cheek risers.... so i look at it as to what fits your use case... the folding is nice to fit in tight spaces and the MOE stock is just plain solid...
Im not a fan of folding stocks and would prefer the Zhukov to be solid but love the adjustable LOP. I wish they had made the MOE mirror the Zhukov, just not folding

·
2,327 Posts
Really the adjustable LOP is what sold me on the Zhukov, nothing else on the market offers that on such a solid platform.

Did you mean "good cheek weld" or am I missing something?:confused:
It's like the hand of god gently caressing your cheek every time you shoulder the weapon. :thumb:

Yes I meant good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts