Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a romanian WASR 10, and it has a tapco galil handguard. How do I remove the top vent part so I can take the gas tube out? I'm trying to fully field strip it so I can clean it. I can't figure out how this handguard was installed, and I can't find instructions anywhere. Thanks.
D. Cheshire:confused:

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
There's a little lever on the upper,right side of your receiver. Push that clockwise (forward) as far as it will go. You may need a pliers, they can be a little difficult. Then the upper grip and gas tube should pull off upwards and out.

·
SKS Enthusiast
28 Posts
You just pull the little grate looking part on the top up and out. It's snaps right out, real easy. :) I had to install one of those hand guards on a rifle I gave my brother.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks AK Dan

Thanks. I'll try that next time I clean it. I have a century arms wasr 10/63. The dealer installed the tapco galil handguard. the piece that has the sling holder that attaches the sling on the barrel that slides against the handguard comes loose a lot. It has a lever that is supposed to lock it in place, but it won't budge when you push it flush against the handguard. it always comes loose and slides up and down the barrel. I guess this tapco handguard does not fit my gun very well. Also the cleaning rod pops out after shooting 2 or 3 rounds.
Thanks for the suggestions. My gun looks a lot like the one in your picture.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Thanks. I'll try that next time I clean it. I have a century arms wasr 10/63. The dealer installed the tapco galil handguard. the piece that has the sling holder that attaches the sling on the barrel that slides against the handguard comes loose a lot. It has a lever that is supposed to lock it in place, but it won't budge when you push it flush against the handguard. it always comes loose and slides up and down the barrel. I guess this tapco handguard does not fit my gun very well. Also the cleaning rod pops out after shooting 2 or 3 rounds.
Thanks for the suggestions. My gun looks a lot like the one in your picture.
The handguard retainer is not locked in place then. What you have to do is slide it forward, look for the little notch on the top of the barrel and slide it slowly over that and stop it so that the lock (the little lever on the right side is over that notch). Then you rotate that lever 180 degrees to the rear of the weapon, it should move without forcing it, use the hole on the cap of your cleaning kit to turn it, if it is difficult to move backwards wiggle the retainer forward and backwards a little till it turns with ease.

As far as the cleaning rod popping out, make sure that the rod has an end on that fits in the cup below your front sight and make sure that it is seated in that. if all else fails you can do what I am doing with my saiga, cut the rod so that it will just fit in the handguard and tack it to the FSA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts