Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've looked into both AK platforms and what I can't decide on is the fact that the 7.62 is more expensive then the 5.45 but 7.62 magazines are far more cheap and plentiful. Also all that I've the 7.62 ammo is fairly expensive commercially. Which one and why?
Thanks all,
Suburbprepper

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Either. It comes down to your econ. Realistically the 47s magazines just make it that much easier to get mags, but thats the only benifit. The 74 will be more accuate, has great wound ballistics, and overall can in the right weapon reach 600yards repeatedly and accurately. My next AK is going to be a very pricey 74, and I have been warned the mags are a few pennies, but good AK mags from US palms aren't cheap either.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Either is fine, but if I could start from scratch I'd go 74 and disregard the 47. I had too much invested in the 7.62 platform as far as rifles, ammo, and parts to scrap it completely so now I own both. It would be simpler with just one.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Either is fine, but if I could start from scratch I'd go 74 and disregard the 47. I had too much invested in the 7.62 platform as far as rifles, ammo, and parts to scrap it completely so now I own both. It would be simpler with just one.
I would agree to a point.
Like you I have way too much invested in my 7.62x39 rifles to scrap and start over.But I did get into the 5.45x39 and have the mags and ammo stacked to back them up.
Though I got when the getting was good on mags.I would hate to tell someone to get the 5.45 rifle right now do to mag costs for proper military surplus mags its hard for me to tell someone to invest in it.
To be fair I believe a well tuned 7.62 rifle will be hard to beat,my daughters do very well with theirs after some simple mods they are great rifles and very easy to handle.

How about this.
What do you want from a rifle?
Whats more important to you,mag cost or ammo cost?
etc.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I prefer the 74. More accurate than the 47, nearly zero muzzle rise, ammo is cheaper. Cons have been mentioned by the others: ammo and mags are harder to find, so stock it deep! Love my SGL31! :thumb:

Reactions: MountainRecluse

·
Registered
391 Posts
Buy the 74 ammo is cheaper and easier to store for long term. Mags are expensive, but I have tapco mags that work great and those are fairly cheap. Cheaper ammo means more practice and easier to stockpile, along with lower muzzle climb, better accuracy and longer range.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
5.45 surplus is cheaper than new 7.62x39 but new production is more. Personally I went with AKs in 7.62x39, .308, .223.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
5.45 surplus is cheaper than new 7.62x39 but new production is more. Personally I went with AKs in 7.62x39, .308, .223.
Not in my experience. I just checked Ammoseek and 5.45x39mm commercial (Silver Bear, for example) can be had for .19 cents a round. The cheapest commercial 7.62x39mm I could find via Ammoseek is .22 cents a round (and that was Wolf, not Silver Bear).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Not in my experience. I just checked Ammoseek and 5.45x39mm commercial (Silver Bear, for example) can be had for .19 cents a round. The cheapest commercial 7.62x39mm I could find via Ammoseek is .22 cents a round (and that was Wolf, not Silver Bear).
I still buy the Yugo M67 by the case for a nudge under 250 per case. Accurate, "hot" in a good way, my preferred choice with Golden Tiger being a nice runner up. Again, just one person's opinion, yours may vary.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was lucky to get e dozen magazines for my '74, good Bulgarian MilSurp, for $10 a pop from Aim Surplus about a year ago. Picked up a couple from Promag for about $14 at the Gun Show and they seem to work fine (although I'm not impressed with some of their other offerings, ahem, 10-22 drum that never frickin' worked!)

Got a great deal on ammo from an outfit in Phoenix. 12.5 cents a round, shipped. if you bought it by the crate. I bought it by the crate. Probably won't be running any time soon. U.S. Armory Corps, LLC They're out of stock, don't bother. I check daily.

Now, if someone would make a G-darn boxer primed round I can flippin' reload, I'd very much appreciate it! Are they listening? Even Hornady is buying Berdan primed steel cases from Barnul for their match type 5.45 loads.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I was lucky to get e dozen magazines for my '74, good Bulgarian MilSurp, for $10 a pop from Aim Surplus about a year ago. Picked up a couple from Promag for about $14 at the Gun Show and they seem to work fine (although I'm not impressed with some of their other offerings, ahem, 10-22 drum that never frickin' worked!)

Got a great deal on ammo from an outfit in Phoenix. 12.5 cents a round, shipped. if you bought it by the crate. I bought it by the crate. Probably won't be running any time soon. U.S. Armory Corps, LLC They're out of stock, don't bother. I check daily.

Now, if someone would make a G-darn boxer primed round I can flippin' reload, I'd very much appreciate it! Are they listening? Even Hornady is buying Berdan primed steel cases from Barnul for their match type 5.45 loads.
I hear you! I want to start loading for my 74, big-time! As accurate as it is with Silver Bear, I know w/ handloads it would be even better.

You do know there are folks handloading for it now, though? You can special order 5.45 dies and form 5.45 brass from virgin .222 Rem brass. You will also need a Lee bullet sizing die to resize .224 bullets to .221. So, it can be done, but it's enough of a pain in the arse right now that I haven't bothered....yet! :thumb:

·
Registered
356 Posts
If cost may be a factor deciding between the two calibers I would do the math on the initial investment (your magic number of magazines and amount of ammo to keep on hand) for each caliber and see exactly how much of a difference there is.

Unless the difference is that significant to your budget, I'd spend a little more now to get what I want. It will save you in the long run (think trading at a loss later to get what you actually wanted).

Again, I'd go with the 74 due to accuracy and lighter-weight ammo but there's nothing wrong with the 47 if that works better for you.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I stand corrected. But for exception of a couple of good buys, for the most part 7.62x39 and .223 Russian steel case are about the same though.

When I looked at 5.45 I couldn't convince myself and went with a .223/5.56 AK. Ultimately for me it was several factors. One, you have wider variety of ammo choices in .223/5.56, two you have domestic production, three you have half the military in the world using .223/5.56 whereas 5.45 really hasn't caught on, four where 5.45 is being phased out by former Warsaw Pact nations, the .223/5.56 is being phased in which could mean a more certain source of mags in the future, fifth an expanded Russian arms band would seriously dry up 5.45 ammo and mags in the future whereas .223/5.56 would still likely be available through NATO members using the AK format in that caliber, and lastly when Obama brings world peace in his second term there will be a ton of 5.56 surplus hitting the market.....lol.

In all honesty though I'll probably pick up a 5.45 in the next year. The small caliber AK is an awesome machine. 7.62x39 AKs are a great weapon. But when you go to the smaller cartridge and have basically zero recoil you can really put shots on target quick. The only downside is that I'll clear six mags in 30 min or so at the range.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I too have too much invested in 7.62x39. Starting out the 74 is the way to go. Can still put back bulk ammo cheaply.

I bought a couple dozen 74 mags back when they were cheap.

What are surplus 74 poly mags going for these days?

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
buy both... i did... went quality on the 7.62 (Arsenal SLR-107F), and cheap on the 5.45 (CAI build, thankfully never had an issue with FTF/FTE nor keyholing thank goodness, and can maintain almost 2 MOA)...

the circle 10 74 mags have gotten crazy recently i got 10 30 rounders and 2 45 rounders before they went way up... tapco makes mags for the 74, but i have not tried them out yet.

·
DILLIGAF
1,241 Posts
i had this same issue last august. heres what you should do in learning from my mistakes;

1. check the gear you currently have you will be using with it. see which one, and which layout(underfolder/sidefolder/fixed stock), works best for you.

2. which one has the better deal. this does not just the one thats cheaper, but also the one in which you will be getting things to make it better straight away. this includes things like g2 FCG and other aftermarket accesories as well as things such as chrome barrels and 922 compliance items.

3. make sure you can get ammo locally. the biggest problem with mine was that i could not get 5.45 locally, yet walmart sells 7.62. had i known this before ordering my ak74, i would have gotten a 47.

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Prices just went up big time for 5.45. Most online places are sold out.

With that said, I still would choose the AK74 in 5.45. That's just me. Love the rifle. Perfect rifle/caliber I believe for the SHTF prepper/survivalist.

And buy quality when it comes to 74's.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Prices just went up big time for 5.45. Most online places are sold out.

With that said, I still would choose the AK74 in 5.45. That's just me. Love the rifle. Perfect rifle/caliber I believe for the SHTF prepper/survivalist.

And buy quality when it comes to 74's.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/545x39

Samuel Gant has 44 x 750 round cases of silverbear (which is non-corrosive, and the only thing i shoot out of my 5.45) for $137 a case... that is 18 cents per round...

not great when compared to mil-surp stuff, but i have had great reliability and no worry with corrosive primers

·
Registered
248 Posts
I disagree with everyone here that has posted thus far (Besides the person about having it in .308, .223 and 7.62x39).

While the 5.45 round is better in a few ways then the 7.62 -- Its harder to find, Your basically going to be relegated to ordering it in bulk online.

I buy ammo online, but I don't choose non-popular calibers that can't be bought at the local walmart either. You can buy 7.62x39 @ 5.00 a box all day at wal mart or a local gun store and its a .30 cal round.

I prefer to stick to standardized rounds, .223, .308, 7.62x39, etc, etc. Personally I would pick a Saiga in .223 before I ever considered an AK74, think about it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts