Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im moving to bremerton wa and was wondering if aks are leagal there and if they would be good for small-med game.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Personally, I would call a local game warden before hunting with a certain rifle or caliber.

The 7.62X39 has the same bullet diameter as a 308, 30-30, 300 winchester magnum or 30-06.

The diameter of a 7.62X39 can range between .308 - .311, the calibers listed above have .308 bullet diameter.

The 7.62X39 is well suited for deer or wild hog size game, with ballistics very comparable to a 30-30.

I can not offer a first hand opinion on the accuracy of a 7.62X39 because I have not done any real 100+ yard target shooting with my Romanian WASR-10 or SKS. This caliber has a history of not being as accurate as your American or European designed calibers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info but i might just get the ruger hawkeye in 30-06 to be safe. thanks again.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Not sure if an AK with a 5 round clip is legal or not but the 7.62 x 39 round should work pretty good if you dont hunt very far west of the I-5 corridor. I was stationed up there for a while and did some hunting but it was all with a Compound Bow (Whidbey Island has a phenominal Archery Range and Club!). 30-06 should cover you well irregardless of where you hunt in the state in style.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
why do you even need a ak-47? they are fairly powerful but arent very accurate, i know because i go shooting with my uncels and their marine friends and if you are shooting medium game you should get a AR-15 A2, i have been shooting that for 4 years and there has never been a time when it didnt go bang when i needed it to. plus its loud enough to scare the **** out of any one trying to break into your house(probably louder than a 10 gauge if the ar-15 has a short barrel and no flash supressor). but goodluck.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
why do you even need a ak-47? they are fairly powerful but arent very accurate, i know because i go shooting with my uncels and their marine friends and if you are shooting medium game you should get a AR-15 A2, i have been shooting that for 4 years and there has never been a time when it didnt go bang when i needed it to. plus its loud enough to scare the **** out of any one trying to break into your house(probably louder than a 10 gauge if the ar-15 has a short barrel and no flash supressor). but goodluck.
You really need to hit the books, and maybe get a little "REAL" exp.
Are your parents home?

Reactions: croscoe and sachson

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
The 223 is NOT legal in Wa State for deer (it was legal in Oregon). The 7.62X 39 is/was legal for deer and I know of one elk that was killed with this round, though I do not know how many rounds were needed to kill it! Game laws change from year to year so ALWAYS check the Current game laws! A 30-06 is legal for all large game in WA State.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Other than the 'high' mag capacity, the AK or SKS would be FINE for deer in woods hunting. 30/30 has worked for years!! Might not be as accurate at 150 yards as a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 but those are 1890's ''assault weapons.''

1 - 12 of 12 Posts