Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have finally settled on buying an AK-47 for my assult rifle. (Please no AR comments) But I am completely confused on what to buy! First off the reason I decided AK-47, is the price, the stopping power second, and lastly I don't need to be able to hit a fly at 300yards ( where I live it just doesn't seem like I will be engaging anything out that far). So with price in mind who sells the most reliable AK for the best price? Any help would be greatly appricated. i.e. websites or referances welcomed.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
I own 2 inter ordnance AK47's that are fully made U.S. rifles with some things like the stock and trigger group that comes from Tapco, I paid $450 for each of them, and I have only have 1 complaint, The Gas piston are not chromed well. Some of the earlier rifles made by this company were parts kits fused with U.S. receivers, But are no longer made that way, http://www.ioinc.us/home

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have experience with or have heard good things about:
Saiga conversion
any Hungarian Ak
any Norinco or NHM chinese Mak90
Any yugo Ak
Romanian GP1975
Any Bulgarian AK

Next AK i buy im sticking to these if not a custom build by a reputable builder like Arsenal, Red Jacket, Rifle Dynamics or Krebs Custom.

You can find great deals on

classicarms.us
jgsales.com
centerfiresystems.com
aimsurplus.com

if you go the wasr route, henderson defense has "Certified" wasrs which are supposedly pre inspected and pass checks before being placed into inventory.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
My favorite of the ones I have own or have owned is my Yugoslavian underfolder. I purchased it last year for about $450 and it is built like a tank. The underfolder stock allows me store it in a much smaller space and even fire it from the folded position if necessary. It came with black poly furniture.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I bought mine on the cheap.

GP 10/63 WASR

Saiga that I converted. If your a DIY guy, it's a fun project and you'll be very familiar with how your rifle works.

If you've got a higher budget you could get a custom build from a place like this http://www.rifledynamics.com/services/ak.php Their stuff looks good to me, but it's out of my budget.

Good Luck

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I second the Yugo M70.

The cheapest, best options off the shelf are usually Yugo m70s, or pap, mak90s, Saigas, Hungarian and maadis imho...

The only "bad" AKs are really just the Romanians, but by and large, most of them are just fine and do the same job just as well...

There's really nothing to "avoid" and nothing that is far and away better than anything else either. Check over any Ak you intend to buy and you'll be fine with anything...

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts
If you don't pony up the money the first time and buy a quality item, you'll regret it, end up selling it for a huge loss, then spend the money you should have in the first place on something nice, unless you're soured and vow never to own an AK again because of the bad experience. These are things I learned the hard way 30 years ago.:) I wish you the best of luck on your purchase.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
If you don't pony up the money the first time and buy a quality item, you'll regret it, end up selling it for a huge loss, then spend the money you should have in the first place on something nice, unless you're soured and vow never to own an AK again because of the bad experience. These are things I learned the hard way 30 years ago.:)
wow new to the gun world are we?

a WASR10 was $300 a few years ago, now they are worth $500+. dammit why did i not listen to the AK snobs???!!!!!

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
Trixie we still have them for around $350 in these parts ;)

I would say get a Saiga and convert it or find someone in your area that will show you how its done.

Or if you find a MAK-90 pick one up, preferably one that hasn't been all shot out, they are getting old ;)

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Ignore Guerrilla...

Apparently 30 years ago he bought a rusted up ak in africa, that was put together in the Kyber pass from the worn parts of 50 different AK47s from the soviet invasion...

That or he has no idea what he's talking about...

but wasr 10s are bottom of the barrel, and they are still $350-400 around here. Granted they were $275 with all the neat accessories only 10 years ago. But then again, a Russian SKS was only $150 then too...

Inflation, not value trixie...

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Ignore Guerrilla...

Apparently 30 years ago he bought a rusted up ak in africa, that was put together in the Kyber pass from the worn parts of 50 different AK47s from the soviet invasion...

That or he has no idea what he's talking about...

but wasr 10s are bottom of the barrel, and they are still $350-400 around here. Granted they were $275 with all the neat accessories only 10 years ago. But then again, a Russian SKS was only $150 then too...

Inflation, not value trixie...
they are $399 at the store here. more like $600-$700 in classified ads.
ive never had 1 single problem with my wasr in the 4 years ive owned it.

considering it has NO practical use until/unless the SHTF.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
they are $399 at the store here. more like $600-$700 in classified ads.
ive never had 1 single problem with my wasr in the 4 years ive owned it.

considering it has NO practical use until/unless the SHTF.
Do you live in Cali or something? Those prices are truly ridiculous, only a foolish or unknowing victim would pay that for a wasr.

And yes, it DOES have practical use. The Ak is a GREAT coyote gun, ranch rifle, deer rifle, and a generally fun DIY gun. I've had some problems with my wasr, but it's a fun little gun to play with and fix up. I haven't had any issues since I fixed a few things with it.

Afaik, most current wasr 10s, 10/63s,and GPs are problem free. But still not worth anywhere near $500...

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
If you want a top-quality AKM... go out and purchase a short barrel Saiga in 7.62 and do the conversion. It is easy and cheap.

When you are done you have a brand new rifle without any used, reclaimed, reconditioned parts from the last Century.

The Saiga is the best AKM on the market.
You cannot beat the quality.

ST

1 - 20 of 78 Posts