Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are some good 20 round AK-47 magazines?

I have an upcoming hog hunting trip with my stepson. He goes out on some public hunting lands near the Angelina River here in Jasper Texas. The underbrush can get rather dense, so I thought about buying some 20 round magazines for my AK-47.

Gun mag warehouse has some Korean 20 round AK-47 magazines.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/korean-ak-47-7-62x39-20-round-steel-magazine.html

Has anyone used Korean AK magazines?

Does anyone here have 20 round AK-47 magazines? How do they function?

UPDATE:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
I've used Korean 30 rounders and they were flawless. But I've never tried their 20s. They do make a good magazine in general though.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Another vote for the Hungarian. I bought several from Tapco years back for $4. Wished I'd bought more. Very reliable and much more bench and prone friendly.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I have experience with the Hungarian mags and the Tapcos. I prefer the Hungarians but they are almost impossible to find these days. The Tapcos haven't really given me any issues but then I don't beat them very hard- just a little range and hunting use. For the money and ease of finding them the Tapcos are a good choice.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The Korean mags won't fully insert into my O-Pap.
I avoid them for this reason, but I have more than one AK type rifle.
I don't want mags that won't work in them all.

They may work just fine in your AK.
(Polish mags don't work in my O-Pap either BTW)

If you can find the Hungarians they are what I'd buy, and like others have said, don't dismiss the Tapco's.
The Tapco's are a bit bulkier, but everyone I have ever tried works.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
I have several of the Hungarian 20 round tanker mags, they work great, never tried the Korean mags, Tapco also makes 20 round mags too. The Hungarian mags are pricey, though as I'm sure the surplus on them has dwindled...

Hungarian mag markings

Close-up

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
The only ones that I have are the Hungarians too. They work very well and are my preferred magazine. (over 30 rounders)They are getting harder to find and more expensive. Here is a link to some for $27.95. That's too rich for my blood but,..... 20rd Hungarian Mags

Al

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Call it a 4th or 5th vote for Hungarian 20rd mags.
I have 2, I bought way back in the day.

Good to use from the bench.

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
I've used Korean 30 rounders before with no issues. I might have to pick some of these up 20 rounders are always nice to have and that's a good price in today's market.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,927 Posts
+1 on the Tapco. I have a number of them and all of our AK's like them. I also like their 10 rounders as they are just the right size to not extend past the grip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
5-10 round conversion

The 5 round metal mags can have their followers shortened to allow them to hold up to 10 rounds. If the follower is shortened too much it can tilt on the last round. I use these for hog hunting.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I went ahead and bought some of the Korean 20 round magazines after I watched Kevs video on Youtube about his.

The magazines are kinda' too shiny so, I painted them with Krylon Ultra Flat Black.

They are built quite well and comparable to my 20 round Hungarian magazines. I tested them in my WASR and my SKS D model. They fit tight in both and lock up nice. Both rifles fired flawlessly with them. I will be buying more.

Al

Reactions: Aceoky

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I've always heard the Hungarian 'tanker' mags were the mac-daddy of the 20-rounders, and used to be kind of collectible (like the Russian 40 rounders and bakelites) back when they got difficult to find. Some of the guys on the AK forums would post pictures of their stash, just to rub it in the noses of all the guys that couln't find any,LOL.
I'd assume the Koreans and Tapcos are GTG if some of the guys here are endorsing them, but I'd still stick with the Hugarians if they're available, and reasonably priced. I know they're solid and reliable (and eastern Europe already has a well-established history of getting AK stuff right).
BTW, a few years ago, Sportsmanguide was selling some supposedly authentic Hungarian tanker mags, and i had some on order. But then I read somewhere that SG was actually pawning off some knock-off crap as Hungarians (American Magazine,I think the company was called), so i called SG to double-check before they shipped, and I was assured these were the real deal, but when they arrived they turned out to be some thin-walled,lightweight garbage, (which had me seething mad:mad:) and I returned them. I most likely got my real tankers from Aim or Copes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts