Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems everytime I fly with my handgun in my baggage they change the rules.

First time - Lock hard case that is inside luggage, put tag outside hard case but inside outer luggage no lock needed on outer bag

Next time - Lock hard case that is inside luggage put tag inside hardcase, no lock needed on outer bag

Next time - Lock hard case that is inside luggage put tag outside case inside outer bag must lock outer bag as well with TSA lock

And various versions of the above....all on the same airline

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
What kind of hard case do you need? Can you use the cheap hard case that the weapon came with?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Which airline? And when was this change? I'm flying at the end of the month and taking a pistol with.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Airtran, I use the case that came with my Springfield. I use a cable lock that goes around the main support brace of my folding bag to lock it and secure it in place.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,354 Posts
When I fly with my M4 and 9mm, the only thing that matters is a locked hard case. Neither needs to be in any other kind of covering (like outer luggage) unless I want to for OPSEC purposes. Pretty sure that's the only TSA standard...but that doesn't mean the guy at the counter knows that.

·
Proud Conservative
494 Posts
Talking with my wife who has worked for the airlines for 18+ years, she just told me that the current rules are, unloaded, in a lockable hardside case. The unloaded firearm tag goes inside, not outside the case. You may put the firearm case inside your checked bag, or, if you want it stolen, check it all by itself. The firearms tag cannot be visible anytime, that is the law that the TSA follows. Now as far as ammunition, that is totally up to the airline. My wifes is that there can be no loose ammo, it must either be in a factory box, plastic aftermarket box, and can be in the bag seperate from the weapon. If you choose to carry loaded magazines, they must be in a magazine pouch that prevents the ammuntion from coming out of the mag. They do not have to be in the case with the weapon, they can be in your bag all by themselves. Also according to TSA regulations, you do not have to have your weapon in a lockable hardside gun case IF your suitcase is, yes, you guessed it, a hardside lockable suitcase.
To further complicate matters, if the local FSD (Field security director) so chooses, he/she can change things as they see fit depending on the size of their egos. So they can say no ammo in mags, period, etc. But as far as checking the weapon goes, there is only ONE standard that all TSA and airlines must follow. My wife being a GSC(Ground security coordinator) has to be up on all of the rules and regs for this so I assume she is purrty close to being right, I would never tell her that though.

Hopefully this has helped some, probably made some mad, and others didnt finish the entire post, but it is what it is. If you are unsure about any of the rules, you can always go to the TSA website for a list of complete and confusing rules. You also can get a local listing for your TSA at the airport you use to make sure they are following the laws that they are suppose to be following.

Final note: When the TSA agent inspects your firearm, which has to happen everytime you check one, and you cop an attitude with them, all of the things that are/may be allowed at your particular airport go out the door, they can tell you, no mags, no ammo, no anything like that. That is an instant change for the entire airport...until you are gone, then he can change it back to the way it has always been. You can still take your weapon, but they can make life hard on you.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Well I stopped using Airlines totally. I figure I don't want a little geek touching my junk or feeling up my wife and kids. So they can go feel up others who don't care to protest the way they are taking away or rights.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately driving is not an option. Each airline implements their own version of the TSA ruling, so you better review what the airline site says or plan on arguing and missing your flight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts