Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines? I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean. So I tend to move more toward the army than marines, although the army is usually well supplied compared to marines, so no need to carry as much on them. Airforce does carry survival gear, but I am not sure how helpful it would be to mirror them as they are the most well supplied.

I live about 15-20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in northern California. The area is a mild Mediterranian climate. countryside, a bit rural mixed with small cities and towns. The geography is oak/eucalyptus savannah, lots of grassland and hills. lots of open grass, with sparse oak/eucalyptus woodsy areas scattered around.

Here are some images to help you get an idea:
Natural landscape Hill Grassland Mountainous landforms Natural environment

Grassland Natural landscape Natural environment Pasture Meadow

Land lot Grassland Sport venue Natural landscape Grass

Mountainous landforms Highland Nature Natural landscape Hill

Natural landscape Sport venue Grassland Highland Hill

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I like to model my gear off insurgent and terrorist organizations as I think that is far more practical for a civilian than trying to emulate what a massive powerful high tech military with battleships, combat drones and an air-force is going to be equipped with.

·
Forum Administrator
7,026 Posts
I like to model my gear off insurgent and terrorist organizations as I think that is far more practical for a civilian than trying to emulate what a massive powerful high tech military with battleships, combat drones and an air-force is going to be equipped with.
So, grey man mixed with milsurp, with some terrain appropriate local hunting gear. Add a bit of tech savvy knowledge and I see a good place to be. :D:

Now for the OP. The military is set up to be a complimentary team. A HUGE complimentary team with differing aims and goals that lead to one end. There is no specific boot to strap into. They all have their place. I served with all branches in my Army days. I learned a lot in combat, so did those in other branches. The best thing you could do is talk to a local hunting pro and a backwoods camping person. Talk to outdoorsy local vets. They will tell you the same thing Aerindel or I did in my reply to him.
If you look like a soldier, you will die like one. They have toys of which you can never fathom. Learn your environment and choose the tool for the job. Most of the time emulating the military is going to be a negative. Go local. A local hunter will beat military cammo 99%. of the time. This is not to say military tools do not have their place. Arm yourself with ammo that they use. The rest is just a guess. I have been in 4 war theaters and my clothes and tools are better than what the military has. Most outdoors men/ vets, have found this also to be true. Feel free to keep this thread going and do it before the others kill you for such a post. hahahaha. Just playing, I see you are new"ish". Welcome to SB. Be tough, scenario playing brings out all types. ;) Beautiful pictures by the way.

·
Forum Administrator
7,026 Posts
Nailed it.
Well, I am a vet living in Montana. And not in Missoula or Bozeman. :D:

But, yeah...it is what it is. Been around for too long and have seen too much. Posting here is my only downfall. But, hey, my boss still does not have my address right after 5 years. ;)

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
But, yeah...it is what it is. Been around for too long and have seen too much. Posting here is my only downfall. But, hey, my boss still does not have my address right after 5 years.
At least 90% of the time I outright tell people my address they get lost trying to find it on the first try. It think its a normalcy bias thing. They take a look at my road and just can't believe it actually could be the right one and talk themselves into second guessing their GPS or directions and start looking for other roads even though they where right there looking at the right one in the first place.

·
Forum Administrator
7,026 Posts
At least 90% of the time I outright tell people my address they get lost trying to find it on the first try. It think its a normalcy bias thing. They take a look at my road and just can't believe it actually could be the right one and talk themselves into second guessing their GPS or directions and start looking for other roads even though they where right there looking at the right one in the first place.
I was talking w2's. hahahaha. The IRS cannot even send me a letter. They did call me once. No, I am not some tax protester. I should be but, I like my life. It is just funny.,.,... :D:

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines?
If you want to be invisible and don't want anyone anywhere thinking you're any kind of threat, then definitely Air Force gear should be your choice. :thumb:

Also no matter where you buy the gear, it will be in perfect shape and seem practically new. :D:

·
Registered
17,889 Posts
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines? I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean.
What's your favorite service? Then, go down to your favorite services' local recruiting office and enlist. They'll help you with the latest trends in gear selection.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wouldn’t mirror military kits by buying military gear. However, I do think you’re going about this intelligently by studying up on what they carry. If you can identify what needs a mil kit is built to satisfy, you can buy better and more efficient gear. They mostly include water purification, navigation, search and rescue, fire, first aid, knife, and protection from the weather. Instead of using a clunky lensatic compass, poncho, matches, uncomfortable/heavy framed backpack, etc., you could get a nice shell jacket, baseplate compass, lighters, and more from REI.

That being said, Army soldiers are the experts when it comes to pounding ground, so if that’s your local area I’d be looking at what they use.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Are you talking uniform camo? Load-carrying kit/plate carrier? Rucksack? A typical break down is usually:

Line One: Clothing / EDC
Line Two: From fighting load to a day-pack or sling-pack style
Line Three: Rucksack 72+ to Bug-Out-Bag

For clothing, I would model after the BDU style pants if you prefer them (Propper, Tru-Spec), but I would really recommend solid, drab colors that would match your area (brown, tans, coyote, etc.). With the broken up rural area, camouflage will simply stick out like a sore thumb. Same goes for your jacket. Something that is drab colored. If you have hunters in your area or if people wear a common hunting camo, that's an option...only if it's a common item worn.

Line Two gear can get tricky as you can go from gray-man Jansport pack to a full fighting loadout. I will say I've used and can really appreciate the modern "battle belt". They aren't over-loaded, but can be discrete under a larger coat or jacket from a distance.

Biggest question is what is your purpose, plan, assessed threats, or expected scenarios? That will drive the most appropriate gear and best recommendations.

ROCK6

·
Live Free or Die
3,873 Posts
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines? I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean. So I tend to move more toward the army than marines, although the army is usually well supplied compared to marines, so no need to carry as much on them. Airforce does carry survival gear, but I am not sure how helpful it would be to mirror them as they are the most well supplied.

I live about 15-20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in northern California. The area is a mild Mediterranian climate. countryside, a bit rural mixed with small cities and towns. The geography is oak/eucalyptus savannah, lots of grassland and hills. lots of open grass, with sparse oak/eucalyptus woodsy areas scattered around.

Here are some images to help you get an idea:
View attachment 285842

View attachment 285844

View attachment 285846

View attachment 285848

View attachment 285850
The best prep I can recommend to you is to get the hell out of kommiefornia; unless you are a dhimmikrat. Then, please stay there.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Army Brat. Go Army gear -- lightly. Only start with hunting gear and then add the military stuff.

Everything doesn't have to match! [Unless you want folks to think you are a rogue/deserter sort].

I'm personally going for the pleasantly plump, mid-sixties [age] country woman look.

[I do have some of my dad's old olive drab and khaki stuff about -- floppy hat and such. Don't wear them now. Might should I feel it is best. I'm talking Vietnam era things.]

I don't want anyone to think I am a threat or potential threat. And thus make myself a proper, real threat.

·
Golfer
4,964 Posts
Sometimes simpler is better

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you look like a soldier, you will die like one. They have toys of which you can never fathom. Learn your environment and choose the tool for the job. Most of the time emulating the military is going to be a negative. Go local. A local hunter will beat military camo 99% of the time. This is not to say military tools do not have their place. Arm yourself with ammo that they use. The rest is just a guess. I have been in 4 war theaters and my clothes and tools are better than what the military has. Most outdoors men/ vets, have found this also to be true.
I have read many times that during SHTF, grey man will be important, but post-SHTF everyone will see you as a threat and it will not matter. Where I am from, it's a bit rednecky, so walking around in Multicam or mossy oak is normal. I have also read that military camo is designed differently than hunting camo, that mil cam is meant to break up patterns and is much more effective against humans than animals. I am planning on going full Multicam post SHTF (not using gear specificly used by the military, but I will definitely come off as threatening, multicam head to toe, ballistic helmet plate carrier, AR in hand) During SHTF/ attempting to bug out, I always wear earth tones so it will be something dull brown/ or olive drab. Maybe keep a spare hunting camo gear as an extra leg up on evading (camo is common here so it will pass as grey man as long as its not head to toe)

Are you talking uniform camo? Load-carrying kit/plate carrier? Rucksack?ROCK6
I am talking more of the contents of my BOB like my IFAK and whatnot. I understand the military gets complete garbage gear and cheap stuff but im using it more as an outline and heavily modding and personalizing it.

What's your favorite service? Then, go down to your favorite services' local recruiting office and enlist. They'll help you with the latest trends in gear selection.
I have been trying to get into the Army, specifically in a tank like my father in nam, my grandfather in ww2, and my great grandfather in ww1 but it is difficult to find a doctor who will get me a waiver for my heart condition. I am planning on getting into ROTC since I am in college and shipping out after.

The best prep I can recommend to you is to get the hell out of kommiefornia; unless you are a dhimmikrat. Then, please stay there.
I am unfortunately still in College so it may be a while. But I plan on moving and starting a farm asap!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Honestly, if you’re looking for true SHTF gear, it would be something closer to what the locals or clandestine intelligence agents use in unstable parts of the world. Those people are living in real world SHTF hostile, lawless environments and they’re surviving anywhere from several years on an assignment to their entire life as a native. I think it’s important to note that while they may carry firearms, they’re certainly not walking around geared up like commandos.

Food for thought...

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
I think that what everybody is trying to tell you is: Consider your mission or goal.

From the looks of the photos, you live in an area that has a sort of Mediterranean climate. In other words it's pretty warm most of the time with little or no snow or ice for the most part. I imagine when it rains you sometimes get drenched but even those kinds of watery storms are few and far between. The land looks like it has a good amount of water available on it so you'll have access to creeks, ponds and so on. In other words, you live in a pretty nice area so whatever mission or goal you have in mind your type of gear won't be as important as how you do things and move. You might want to study up on how snipers move and train.

The nice thing is that almost all snipers use the same sort of gear so which ever type you pick it will reflect almost the same in the other services. About the only difference will be the color differences. White for snow and cold weather operations. Brown for desert work. Black and green for jungle warfare areas. In the area you're living in I would suggest the use of a lot of brown, flat brown coloration, to blend in with the local vegetation. You might also consider using some flat black as well for countershading purposes to act as "shadows areas."

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.