Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In a rifted Pangea...
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month a buddy and I took a short flight on Delta. We arrived at different times and also had different check-in agents. Both of us were checked-in handguns within our checked baggage. He arrived first, declared the firearm, got a "special handling" tag, signed the unloaded firearm declaration, the card was placed in the case, re-locked, and was asked to wait while TSA scanned his bag. He was given the thumbs up and headed to the gate.

15 mins later, I checked in, declared the firearm, signed the form, showed the locked case etc, and the declaration was put in the bag, atop the case. No tag. then was asked to wait while TSA green-lighted it.

When we arrived at our destination, my bag was in the general population and unmarked, while his was detained at the ticket counter awaiting for him to retrieve.

On the return flight, we checked in at the same time and got both bags tagged. I protested up until the point that I thought I might be pushing my luck. I asked why it was tagged for all to see and why the process has been different "every" time (....ok so i never usually fly Delta but I thought it might help my argument). One ticket agent said that there were "new policies...and everyone was learning." So then both of us had a nice wait to get our "special handling" tagged bags from the luggage counter. What a PITA.

I have traveled more with United while declaring firearms and have never had an issue like this. So, are the polices TSA or company driven? Or both?

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
Its too much of a hassle to bring a firearm when flying, haven't done it in years, used bring a rifle if hunting in another state. After doing that ONCE I just drove to the state we were going to hunt...
wow you either had a monster bad experience or have a very low tolerance for hassle

it's one of the biggest non-events I've been through

·
In a rifted Pangea...
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other interesting point was that, upon the return flight, the kiosk only printed out a slip instructing us to take our firearms to the counter. So it means our itineraries were flagged as having taken a firearm on the outbound flight and automatically assumed that we were returning with it. I wonder what the conversation would have included if I didn't have anything to declare on the return flight. I guess I would've had a long list of "not your business" statements to follow.

Anyways, it wasn't a big hassle. The inconsistencies are simply frustrating. And getting my "special" bag from the luggage isn't really convenient.

·
In a rifted Pangea...
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TSA policies in the U.S., but as with every job, not everyone interprets policy the same way, or does what is expected. ♫ let it go, let it go...♫
Is there a link or source that states the TSA policy dictates the airline's procedure? I'd like nothing more than to have it printed. :D:

The "special handling" tag more/less makes it a target, as I have heard of stole firearms by baggage handlers.

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
Is there a link or source that states the TSA policy dictates the airline's procedure? I'd like nothing more than to have it printed. :D:

The "special handling" tag more/less makes it a target, as I have heard of stole firearms by baggage handlers.
This seems to change with the temperature.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Keep in mind this is the MINIMUM and airlines are free to add more rules onto this. Some local TSA agents will add more onto this as well.

I simply drive now, easier all around. :thumb:

·
In a rifted Pangea...
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - so it IS both. The TSA standards don't require "special handling" (aka""steal me"") tags etc. I have been on that site a while back.
Driving is convenient, but not always practical.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Each airline can make their own policy about their internal procedures for passengers traveling with firearms.

These individual airline policies have to align with TSA policies for flying with firearms. And in all cases that I am aware of do.

Many of the airline Ticketing Agents / Customer Service Agents however do not know either their own airlines, or TSA policies. That creates 90+% of the problems encountered while flying with guns :)

My advise for anyone flying with guns - print out the TSA policy and also print out the individual airlines policy. Have those with you at check in. And be flexible when things go wrong or not as planned.

Regards,

Rob

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
My advise for anyone flying with guns - print out the TSA policy and also print out the individual airlines policy. Have those with you at check in. And be flexible when things go wrong or not as planned.

Regards,

Rob
This. If nothing else, shoving a stack of papers at someone tends to make them shut up and do it your way because they really don't want to get that involved in it.

I would never, ever let them tag the outside of the case. I would request a manager and explain the situation. Tagging the case is just asking for a stolen weapon.

Az

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.