Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into functional air tight containers for around the kitchen use. I'm not talking about 10gallon buckets lined up with gamma lids (Useful for some things, less so for others) but small containers that would extend the shelf life of often used items that are best kept at the ready. In my house those items would be pancake mix, cinnamon, sugar, flour, salt, powdered milk, open packs of pasta, rice, etc...

I have been looking around and found this site which sells airtight glass containers in various sizes. Its pretty much what I wanted since long term storage is not the goal here (use 10gal buckets for your LTS) but a simple quality container that will extend the shelf life of often used things.

I will look around little bit longer before placing an order. If anyone has used products like this drop me a line as to how they held up. Other airtight container recommendations are welcome too as I'm not set in stone on this particular line/style.

http://www.kitchenconservatory.com/Airtight-Containers-C520.aspx

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While looking into air tight containers some more I stumbled onto food grade clear plastic stackable containers. The glass containers would be nice for a counter top while these containers would better fit a pantry. I may have to try both out. Plus the price of these plastic containers isn't much (if they last).
http://allbrightideas.com/click_clack_containers.htm

I bought a OXO brand plastic airtight container several months ago to try it out. OXO make some very good and very pricey kitchen items. Its been working out just fine but two things bothered me about it. I had to sort through the containers on the store shelf to find one that didn't have the rubber gasket already falling apart. The price was easy double what other containers go for. I don't mind the paying for quality but piece of mind is priceless and after seeing the ones on the shelf falling apart I just don't feel comfortable dropping that much money into redoing my pantry storage system to rely on that brand.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Canning jars come in the following sizes:
1/2 pint
pint
quart
1/2 gallon
Topped with the white plastic lids they are air tight and rust proof.
I've been using them for years.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be starting canning this year. I have some canning books coming from Amazon that the wife will be getting as one of her Christmas gifts. I'm looking forward to this.

From what I understand the canning process is not a simple on/off lid system. Do you use those type of cans (glass jars actually) for things you use on a daily basis?

Something like coffee grounds are used everyday in my home. And its used in a morning rush out the door. Would those suggested jars work? How do you keep them sealed?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Canning jars can be used for all types of food storage.
Leftovers that need to be refrigerated.
Dry foods/items that need protection from moisture, air or insects
In addition to the metal lids and bands that are used in the canning process, they make the white plastic lids in both regular and wide mouth sizes,.......they are durable, washable and last forever.
I even use the qt jars for drinking glasses for iced tea.:D:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts