Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yesterday (thursday) my cousin asked me if I wanted to go hunting rabbit.....I said sure I would tag along.....I met him at his house and he loaded his pellet gun (.177 cal) into my jeep and off we went to my property......we were out for 4 hours and managed 3 rabbits...with an air rifle, I was amazed......he got two and i got one....

so.....

today I went out and bought myself my x-mas gift to me from my wife :)

I picked up a BEEMAN model 1040 and some pellets...

this afternoon we went again and after some sighting in I managed another rabbit......so this weekend is "rabbit stew" weekend lol

I couldnt beleive it and was rather impressed....

being as I have stated many times before I only own 2 303's one of which I inherited from my grandfather.

This was no good for this type of hunting and I am quite happy with air rifle purchase.....

so for some of you who may be to young or have strict fire arms laws...this may be an alternative.....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I spent many hours at a farm when I was growing up in England. I used an old BSA 22 calibre air rifle and took my fair share of rabbit, hare, pheasant, pigeon, and squirrel.

The air rifle is an cheap easy way to hunt small game and they are just plain fun to shoot.

I still hunt with my old BSA! :thumb:

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I have a .20 Beeman R9 Goldfinger ( though the stock Bushnell scope screwed up and I upgraded considerably). For most of this past year, this has been my VERY FAVORITE rifle !!! My brother has a RWS 34 Diana in .22. We can consistently hit and bust entirely through coke cans and plastic vodka bottles at 80+ yards !!
I can't recommend enough a quality pellet rifle. These things are NOT the toys we grew up with, they are rock-solid,German quality,bad ass units, and loads of fun !!

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Very nice.
Never tried a beeman. I mainly use crosman tho.

i love air rifles.
Pellets come cheap, mainly the .177 lead ones, though.
I may get a break barrel after I get a .22 just because of the easy use of air rifles :)

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Yes, get a break barrel, they're fantastic. Check out PyramydAir,or even better, Craig and Kevin at Straightshooters. These are two of the premier airgun dealers out there. Pryamydair, last I checked had the RWS 34 for under $200. My Beeman is sweet,for sure, but at half the money, I recommend the RWS 34.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out Crosman's 1077 and 2260. No good in cold weather because of the Co2 but otherwise very good guns for under $100. Serious hunting should be done with a PCP though. I'm glad some people understand the value of an air gun.

·
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These things are NOT the toys we grew up with, they are rock-solid,German quality,bad ass units, and loads of fun !!
I agree 100%, when I was younger I had a Daisy BB gun ( lever action) and I also had an old (model unknown) break barrel pellet but they were nothing compared to the air rifles of today.

I would have loved a 22 cal air rifle but could not find one at the time...
on a side note I beleive that Beeman makes one rifle that accepts two different barrels, 1 for .177 and 1 for 22 cal.

all in all this is a fun way to hunt small game or just have fun.

·
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have my old Daisy BB lever action. LOL.

I'm jealous....my mother wouldn't allow me to take it when we moved to the city back in 1985...its since been long gone......I dont know how many times I pretended I was "the rifleman" when I was a kid with that gun lol

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Don't bother with the dual barrel beeman. The barrels never realign the same way twize, so you have to redial the scope each time. Unless you put loctite or sufficient torqe on the barrel nut it will come loose.

Air rifles are great, and I consider mine as my smallest hunting rifle... Certainly not a toy.

·
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't bother with the dual barrel beeman. The barrels never realign the same way twize, so you have to redial the scope each time. Unless you put loctite or sufficient torqe on the barrel nut it will come loose.

Air rifles are great, and I consider mine as my smallest hunting rifle... Certainly not a toy.
Thanks for the tip on the dual barrel Beeman....

the .177 did okay on friday as I was able to take 1 rabbit and we wernt out for very long.

overall I'm pleased, a 22 cal one may have been nicer but I have never even seen any ammo for it our area

·
Registered
405 Posts
Straight Shooters is an excellent place to buy.
http://straightshooters.com/

I think the best buys on the market are the Beeman R7, R9 and the HWS50s. They are almost identical except for size and power. The R7 being the smallest and least powerful is the easiest to shoot accurately. The HW50s is made by the same company and is only slightly larger and more powerful and is an excellent size gun. The R9 is more powerful and a bit more difficult to shoot accurately. If you can't shoot a gun accurately you might as well not have a gun.

I have had many airguns and found that you don't want the really powerful ones as they are too hard to shoot accurately. Stick with the guns around the 800fps range. My favorite is the HWS50s. Also the only thing you need to know about pellets is to buy the JSB pellets. They are the best and will save you lots of grief and money in the end.

The guns I have mentioned above are the best buy for the money of anything on the market. There are a few acceptable guns for less money buy DON'T buy a cheap airgun. One way to determine that is to not buy any airgun that Straight Shooters doesn't offer.

The great thing about air rifles is that you can shoot them anywhere (sometimes you not are allowed to in certain areas but if you can't be seen or heard go for it). Within reason you don't have to worry about what direction you are shooting as they aren't going very far. I never dreamed I would enjoy them as much as I do since they are so short ranged. Their ideal range is from about 25 to 35 yards which is where you will be doing most of your small game hunting. A few fellows are effective at the 50 to 80 yard range but you have to be good and really work hard at it to be consistent at those ranges.

Straight Shooters also has an excellent forum and Kevin and Craig keep it clean and civil.

In certain situations and localities a good air rifle can be the very best gun you can own.

Good air rifles are so accurate that they justify a good scope. Most scopes used on them are variables that run from 4 or 6 to 18 and 20 power. You need a scope with an adjustable objective lens that will go down to about 25 feet which regular rifle scopes won't do. Although most scopes now are being made strong a scope has to be rated for an air rifle because they recoil both directions and will dislodge the glass in them if it isn't braced both directions.

I found that in general use I keep my scopes set from 9 to 12 power. You don't need a really powerful scope. I thought it was silly that they were using powerful scopes on air rifles until I saw how accurate they are. I shoot in my basement at about 14 yards and if I am not keeping them in the same hole I'm not happy.

A good scope will run around $200 and the mounts are expensive but try to stay away from the adjustable mounts as they can be an aggravation.

If you will start out with a good outfit you will never be unhappy with it but if you try a cheap and/or too powerful an outfit you will never be happy with it.

BEWARE-airguns can be addictive, it's kind of like trying to eat only one piece of peanut brittle, you might end up like a lot of us with way too many airguns. I have gotten myself down to 2 now, the R7 and the HWS50s. I could easily get by with the HW50s as my only gun except that the R7 is so accurate and so much fun to shoot that I will never be without one. The R7 is the absolute best to start the ladies and kids out with. It is easy to cock and hold.

The problem with shooting air rifles is that they have very powerful springs and when you pull the trigger the gun recoils backwards like a standard gun BUT before the pellet leaves the barrel the gun recoils forward when the spring hits the end of it's travel. The more powerful the gun the more recoil you have and the more consistent you have to hold the gun for a longer time. A few guys claim to be able to shoot them accurately but I can't and I have shot in competition where I had to shoot good.

Hope this helps and you can learn about everything you need to know on the Straight Shooter forum.

·
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Shootmor very imformative, I will go check out the straight shooter forum this evening...

any in put on the Beeman 1040 that I bought.....its nowhere near 800 fps but does state 495 fps. The way we were hunting was we were on a set rabbit run and had cleared the snow from a small patch of mossy grass, when they would stop we would get a head shot, we were no more than 20 yards from the patch..

again thanks for the info

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
first rifle i got was a Benjamin pump air rifle, 22 cal

when my dad gave it to me i looked at it and said
"dad, it only shoots once"

"yep" he replied "means yer gonna have ta git good"

glad he did it too -- cause it worked -- a lot of tree rats however i'm sure didnt share in appreciation of his gift

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I got a Daisy 880 as a young teen. It fires .177 pellets and BB's.

To this day, it's never been rebuilt, has seen pumps of 14 or more and still fires like new.

$100.00 worth of ammo will last your entire life.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Hey, speaking of ammo, has anyone tried the gameshots from gamo? Little 22cal shotgun shells for an air rifle. Not sure I want to risk my barrel trying them, but seems like a neat idea.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the Gamo break barrel .177 with scope, over 1000 fps with their gold pellets they claim. Shoots great and under $200 bucks at wally world.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got a Daisy 880 as a young teen. It fires .177 pellets and BB's.

To this day, it's never been rebuilt, has seen pumps of 14 or more and still fires like new.
I love the Daisy 880’s even the newer plastic 880 shoot good. I’ve successfully hunted rabbits, squirrels, opossum and raccoon with an 880. I also really like my Winchester 1000X springer. UPS dropped it off one afternoon and as I was standing in the kitchen opening the box I saw a opossum out by one of the sheds about 40 feet from the house; I literally took the 1000X out of the box, cocked it, put in a Crossman wad cutter pellet and aimed right between the eyes a shot it. The pellet broke the inside of the right eye socket and went out the back; less than ½ an inch from where I was aiming.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm looking at the Ruger air rifles. They are only about $110.00 for the standard model and about $180.00 for the fancier one with the thumbhole stock. They get great reviews from owners. I've never owned an air rifle before, but they look like they would have their uses.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I love the Daisy 880’s even the newer plastic 880 shoot good. I’ve successfully hunted rabbits, squirrels, opossum and raccoon with an 880. I also really like my Winchester 1000X springer. UPS dropped it off one afternoon and as I was standing in the kitchen opening the box I saw a opossum out by one of the sheds about 40 feet from the house; I literally took the 1000X out of the box, cocked it, put in a Crossman wad cutter pellet and aimed right between the eyes a shot it. The pellet broke the inside of the right eye socket and went out the back; less than ½ an inch from where I was aiming.
Reply]
880s are PLASTIC now? Wow, that sux!! That means mine is a real gun by todays standards!

Mine is very old, and was used when I got it at age 15 (think that is how old I was, could be 14 or 16, don't remember anymore). It is metal except for the stock. That looks like plastic of some sort.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts