Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good air rifle for hunting squirrels and birds?

I am wondering what fps is needed for a kill?

I am also wondering what caliber (.177 or .22)?

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Both .177 and .22 pellets will take down small birds and squirrels. .22 pellets tend to be heavier and travel slower, which might make them better suited for larger game. .177 pellets are usually lighter and travel faster, making them better suited for longer distance shooting because they have less drop.

Velocities greater than 1100fps will produce a "crack" because the pellet will break the sound barrier. Velocities less than 1100fps are therefore more stealthy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Doubt an air pellet would break the sound barrier, rimfires only just start to do it. Rimfires are shooting are I think and this is a guestimation around 65 feet per pounds (thats 22LR) where as air rifles here in the uk have to be below 12 feet per pound or you need a licence.

These 12 fpp rifle are more than capable of making kills on rabbits, squirrels and birds!
Although depending on where your from mate Id really recommend a 22lr, much better gun and really good fun! :D

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Doubt an air pellet would break the sound barrier, rimfires only just start to do it. Rimfires are shooting are I think and this is a guestimation around 65 feet per pounds (thats 22LR) where as air rifles here in the uk have to be below 12 feet per pound or you need a licence.

These 12 fpp rifle are more than capable of making kills on rabbits, squirrels and birds!
Although depending on where your from mate Id really recommend a 22lr, much better gun and really good fun! :D
Anything that travels faster than 1100fps WILL beak the sound barrier. My Gamo Whisper will shoot a .177 light pellet 1200fps and it will make a loud "crack". Heaver pellets, traveling slower won't.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Doubt an air pellet would break the sound barrier, rimfires only just start to do it.

air rifles here in the uk have to be below 12 feet per pound or you need a licence.
FAC air rifles may break the sound barrier, those .177s firing over 12 ft lbs. Don't know of a .22 doing it but maybe they are out there. I don't think most US states care a toss for this regulation so even their standard kids air rifles may well do it.
True, but ultimately at a closer range than what the weapon technology is capable of. The 12ft lbs limit is so arbitary it's untrue. Why not 11 or 13? Sigh.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i've killed squierrls with one of those crossman pump pistols i think it was the 1300 but not sure it was 11years ago i got if off a drunk for 10 bucks, so he could get beer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I own a Germen RWS it's a 177 is available in 22 also mine is like 1200 fps and with a good shot will kill rabbit, squirrel, birds quite easily I'd opt for the 22 if was to buy one now. With a scope and rest easily shoot AA battery out to 60 yds ,if wind is calm even further

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
I own a Germen RWS it's a 177 is available in 22 also mine is like 1200 fps and with a good shot will kill rabbit, squirrel, birds quite easily I'd opt for the 22 if was to buy one now. With a scope and rest easily shoot AA battery out to 60 yds ,if wind is calm even further
I agree. I own a .177 and like it fine but if I were doing it again, I'd get the .22 instead.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
I own a 22 jackel,rabbit,squirral,duck,geese and munkjak deer have been taken with it no problem.:thumb:

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts
Got a Sheriden 392. .22 cal. Took an adult racoon with one shot at about 20yds. Some don't like the multi pump guns... But for the money.. It's hard to beat!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Doubt an air pellet would break the sound barrier, rimfires only just start to do it. :D

Any projectile traveling faster than the speed of sound (around 1100 feet per second) will produce a sonic crack. Some air rifles go as much as 1500 fps! Some rimfires exceed 2000 fps.

Jim

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
RWS will not only break the sound barrier, and make lots of noise, but you can feel some kick to them too. The RWS 460 Magnum does 1350 fps in 177. Never heard of a supersonic 22 pellet gun. 22lr is up to 204 ft/lbs and up to 1750 fps FWIW.

To answer the question, anything should get a rabbit or squirrel if you can hit it in the right spot. As far as caliber, 177 is actually not a bad start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will always suggest to anyone considering of buying an air rifle to go with GAMO. I have owned three products by them over the years and they are still in use today. I recieved my first air rifle when I was 12. It was a Daisy Powerline. Although it was decently accurate and had a good bit of power. The stock broke on it after a small fall on concrete.

Gamo Air Rifles are solid. You won't have to worry about dropping it or getting it wet. Gamo Rifles are deadly accurate for small game. The average .22 Long Rifle trajectory travels at 1125+ FPS. Gamo makes an Air Rifle that can do 1600 FPS! That is pretty killer for an air rifle.

Now days most Air rifles made for accuracy are break barrel. One pump = Full power. Anything under 1000 FPS is a waste of money in my opinion. That is the lowest FPS for killing power.

.177 Cal or .22 cal?
My suggestion is the .177 cal. It's easy to find ammo for. Shoots faster and further. I have claimed quite a few birds with my Gamo .177. Gamo is not a cheap Air Rifle by any means. They start at $100-$400 price range. You can find a good gamo air rifle for $100-$150.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I prefer the Chinese single stroke 117 guns. They shoot very hard and are very inexpensive. I have seen them lately at gun shows for $25.00. Bargain! Very accurate and built like a tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any of tghe good "single stroke" air rifles, .177, .22 , or even the .25 cal will do excellent on small game. Want to see some impressive air rifle shooting go to youtube and do a search on "air rifle hunting". I have both a .177 and .25 cal and a large variety of pellets (amazon is a great source).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts