Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the stock market took a pretty big pounding today on this Coronavirus thing.

I'm not a paranoid prepper but it did get me thinking to buy an Air Purifier for the house in case things go south.

What should I be looking at in an air purifier

HK

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have 4 of the large Germgaurdian. They have a carbon filter for smoke and a blue light for
Virus... i don’t know how efficient they are.

I also have the sharper image ones with the washable filters. 1 of them has the Virus light. Also, don’t know how efficient they are.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Filters, in one part, are only as good as the maintenance done on the filters How often do they have to be cleaned or changed? Also can the filter actually prevent the virus from passing through? I think your first line of defense is to keep suspected people OUT of your house and OFF of your property. Keeping your respiratory tract well hydrated (drinking a lot of water, using saline solution, etc) will go a long way to keeping your bodies natural defenses up.

·
Live Free or Die
3,872 Posts
Ultraviolet will almost certainly kill the virus. Unfortunately, most homes do not have a singular air inlet that can be protected with ultraviolet lights. Same with filtration. The main problem with filtration, aside from multipoint air ingress, is that you eventually run out of filters. Or, you have to clean contaminated filters.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a couple of Ionic Breeze units from Sharper Image, but they are no longer available. They clean the air with an electric grid and sanitize the effluent with ultraviolet light. Some smokers blamed them for causing their lung disease and won their lawsuit. I blame climate change for their ills. Polar bear farts caused their lung disease. Climate change is making polar bears fart more. AOC - can you help us out here? We need to stop polar bear farts.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use this https://austinair.com/our-credentials/

Sunlight goes a long way in killing viruses and bacteria.

I question whether ultra violet bulbs in you HVAC are effective as the air passes by to quick.
Now many are on the ac coil which makes sense as that could be a breading ground.

If a filter was fine enough to capture bacteria or viruses you probably couldn't push air through it.

There are plenty of other things that can weaken your immune system so you can't effectively fight off viruses and bacteria and this is where filters shine.

Open your curtains and let as much sunshine into your home as posssible ....sunshine is cheap but effective.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
If you are concerned about airborne viruses traveling in from outside, you may want to change your landscaping a bit. Bushes and plants will not force viruses out but they will make an obstacle course for them to get in. You say you want to filter out viruses but what do you think the source of them will be?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would suggest an ozone generator. The powerful ones from Amazon for $75 or so. You cant stay in the house while it runs.
agree. Love mine.

they don't filter the air but will kill bacteria and viruses. but keep in mind you treat a whole house or open floor for hours, then it takes hours to dissipate before it is safe to enter.

with a filter you hope to trap it until it dies naturally. with UV you don't kill it, you mutate it so it can't reproduce. Ozone will kill when it permeates the cells membrane.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want to defend against viruses, ordinary HEPA purifiers cannot be used, then you need military NBC air filtration system.Of course it's expensiv,I think you just need to disinfect with alcohol when you return home.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Filters do not kill squat. They hold them in the outer perimeter of the filter.
Positive ventilation is the key.
Learn how to in your hood. Different areas have different things to do.
You make the pressure in your home higher than the outside, and nuttin gets in.
Thats how the 9th Chemical does it at Ft Lewis

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,728 Posts
Filters do not kill squat. They hold them in the outer perimeter of the filter.
Positive ventilation is the key.
Learn how to in your hood. Different areas have different things to do.
You make the pressure in your home higher than the outside, and nuttin gets in.
Thats how the 9th Chemical does it at Ft Lewis
Hmmmm, filters do no good yet you recommend positive ventilation. Where is that extra air pressure coming from? A bottle? You need filters on the intake .

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Hmmmm, filters do no good yet you recommend positive ventilation. Where is that extra air pressure coming from? A bottle? You need filters on the intake .

Yes having positive pressure in your home helps keep outside air from leaking in.
But a strong wind can overcome the positive pressure, and leak in anyway.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,915 Posts
Open your curtains and let as much sunshine into your home as posssible ....sunshine is cheap but effective.
Doesn't glass block UVB?

Reactions: bilmac

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
If you want to defend against viruses, ordinary HEPA purifiers cannot be used, then you need military NBC air filtration system.Of course it's expensiv,I think you just need to disinfect with alcohol when you return home.
If a virus has been weaponized, it may get through a Hepa filter
but a hepa filter should catch airborne virus carried by a sneeze or cough.
Also air recirculates through a filter, so the filter does not have to capture all the partials the first time through.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,728 Posts
Yes having positive pressure in your home helps keep outside air from leaking in.

But a strong wind can overcome the positive pressure, and leak in anyway.
That is obvious. It is done on construction jobs in hospitals. I have done so in my own home on a bathroom remodel. But, it requires filtered air, and Trip Wire claims air filters are ineffective while at same time promoting positive pressure.

It's like claiming water is poison and advising drinking vodka on ice.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
viruses are not going to float in from the outside so you dont need to worry about that. If you have a sick person in your house a hepa filter could help. The pore size is about .3 microns which is about the same as an n95 mask.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
The key words you want to see on a filter is organic vapors.

In southern CA and any other warm climates. Seal all doors and windows with duct tape (what it was made for). Install barometric gauges on the front and rear windows (in side and out). Turn the air con up until the inside numbers are higher than the outside numbers. My bud outside of LA has already done this.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.