Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my kid and some of his friends tell me they want to get airguns and do target practice, plinking is the term, I think, in our as well as his freinds' backyards. I heard this is safe (am I right?) so what air guns, bb guns or air rifles can they get? They might get over this activity soon so I suggest something cheap.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I heard this is safe (am I right?)
I just used to pin a piece of plywood into a tree through a nail and shoot at targets on it. Sometimes I missed and the pellets would just hit the fence 30 yards back, with no penetration. Commonly purchased cheap airguns are not capable of the power to penetrate a good thick fence from distance. So it's safe so long as the pellets or bbs aren't going over your fence or through them. If you don't have a fence then you need a bigger backstop (piece of thick plywood will do), so missing is impossible. Even if you were just surrounded by fields, it would be illegal to fire munitions into them and if the owner found some ammo he would have a legal case. Are you a US citizen? In the UK there are stricter guidelines for plinking on private property, such as a set meter distance from the highway and not firing from household windows. I could go on about that, but don't know where you are from.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I used to shoot everyday when I was a kid. It helped having lots of family owned land. But here it's legal to shoot even in town as long as it's your own property of have permission of the owner. Why not! 5 ft/lbs ain't going to do much dammage unless you aim just right. Keep it low and you are fine. Mind what is behind and you'll save yours.

Pistols are fun, but rifles are where to start. I like anything RWS, Beeman or Crossman. Daisy is OK too. RWS & Beeman are the best, but expensive. A good place to start is something around $50-75 in .177 calliber. As they progess, move up to something better. Pellet guns are getting pricey compared to when I was a kid 15 years ago. Talking 3-5x as much. But it's a great sport and teaches safety.

I'd avoid CO2 as it's going to get costly, stick with spring or pump. ;)

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
I used to shoot everyday when I was a kid. It helped having lots of family owned land. But here it's legal to shoot even in town as long as it's your own property of have permission of the owner. Why not! 5 ft/lbs ain't going to do much dammage unless you aim just right. Keep it low and you are fine. Mind what is behind and you'll save yours.

Pistols are fun, but rifles are where to start. I like anything RWS, Beeman or Crossman. Daisy is OK too. RWS & Beeman are the best, but expensive. A good place to start is something around $50-75 in .177 calliber. As they progess, move up to something better. Pellet guns are getting pricey compared to when I was a kid 15 years ago. Talking 3-5x as much. But it's a great sport and teaches safety.

I'd avoid CO2 as it's going to get costly, stick with spring or pump. ;)

Ahhh nostalgia. I remember airsofting and bb gun shooting before I could legally get a gun. Nowadays, its hard to do either unless you have a hugeass yard yourself and not in some backwoods area around the neighborhood.
I cant shoot around my house because I have a small patio and there's too many PCs in my area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you could also look at the airsoft guns, they have $20 full auto nonsense with ammo at walmart. Probably also have single shot ones as well if you don't want them to blow through things. The airsoft guns are designed to be safe to shot at each other, but eye ware is a must. If you don't want to worry about it just tell them not too. I'd think the airsoft would be safer then the bb gun, and probably a bit cheaper. I mean finish off a can of coke and there is your target, and a brick wall the back stop.

I don't think it would be useful if you plan on letting them ever hunt with them as I doubt it would doing anything but scare something off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I like to backyard-plint with a Baikal air rifle, an Umarex Smith air pistol (revolver), and a Beeman Pr air pistol. :)

Check Pyramyd Air. They have a great selection and I've always been happy with their service.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts