Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
The worst part is he will probably get a second term and a chance to wreck further havoc!
Unless the Republocrats get their house in order.. I mean, Bachmann or Romney? Obama, say hi to four more years.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
It's worse than that. Many of the jobs that have been lost are NEVER coming back. There simply are not enough jobs for the amount of people looking for work.

Jobs were eliminated because of robotics and computers now doing the work that used to be done by people. Add in companies moving offshore or to other countries, and the future prospects are really looking grim for employment.

Every year, the schools and colleges graduate another group of young people looking for jobs. Older people are working longer, because they don't have enough saved to retire on. The only category of job that is really growing is working for the government. And we all know what kind of financial shape the federal and state governments are presently in.

This simply cannot continue. The numbers of unemployed people grow larger, every year.

There is something very ugly waiting to happen down at the end of this road.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Sandcrab, I think you are missing the point. This is a permanent contraction (loss) of US jobs. At least 50% of the jobs lost in the past 4 years will never, ever come back in our lifetime. The US manufacturing industry has passed the plateau and is now on the decline. That means, permanent decline=fewer mfg jobs. The mfg jobs that do come back to the US will pay less. This is the equalization that is required that has been building up for decades, since the 1980s.

You simply cannot pay a high school grad, right out of school, more than a 4 year college grad. That cannot last forever.

UAW new hire with HS degree was: $56,000 per year
Detroit public school teacher with 4 year degree: $17,000 per year

The auto companies are trying to get the UAW to agree to a lower pay scale, so new hires with a HS degree would start at about $34,000 per year.

Compare this to a new City of Grand Rapids police officer with a college degree: $25,000 per year.

(These are actual numbers I have read in various news articles.)

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Sandcrab, I think you are missing the point. This is a permanent contraction (loss) of US jobs. At least 50% of the jobs lost in the past 4 years will never, ever come back in our lifetime. The US manufacturing industry has passed the plateau and is now on the decline. That means, permanent decline=fewer mfg jobs. The mfg jobs that do come back to the US will pay less. This is the equalization that is required that has been building up for decades, since the 1980s.
And a lot of what has been left has been gobbled up as slave labor in the form of illegal aliens.

You simply cannot pay a high school grad, right out of school, more than a 4 year college grad. That cannot last forever.
The answer to that might be that not everyone should be going to college then. Let's face it, there are so many things people are getting degrees in that amount to four years of expensive thumb-sucking. Colleges are a business. When you see your doctor's office, a hospital or a college, you should just see some golden arches because that's all it is.

UAW new hire with HS degree was: $56,000 per year
Detroit public school teacher with 4 year degree: $17,000 per year
And people that work as school teachers in poverty-stricken areas have a lot of their student loans written off.

It is an otherwise unfair comparison to start with because a UAW employee is making something that is sold, there is a profit involved there and the union is there for a reason. I don't think they should get more money and benefits for less work, however. Public school teachers have the market cornered on that line of thought.

The auto companies are trying to get the UAW to agree to a lower pay scale, so new hires with a HS degree would start at about $34,000 per year.

Compare this to a new City of Grand Rapids police officer with a college degree: $25,000 per year.

(These are actual numbers I have read in various news articles.)
Let the teachers and police officers build cars then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts