Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On the way to the gallows
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting here pondering about SHTF scenarios and I think they've been well discussed here. There are a lot of pragmatic theories that sound frighteningly real but I do get a comforting feeling by preparing the best I know how and that there are many that share the same concerns. I've been at this for more years than I care to admit and it really wasn't until the popularity of the internet that we could communicate with each other and know how just many of us there are.

One thing that crossed my mind, and I think it is a realistic thought, is what would happen to our country of someone touched off a nuclear device at the nation's capitol when it was in session? Let's say the President and all of congress disappeared in a fraction of a second leaving the U.S. without any form of federal government, just the local militia, etc.? Would that single act bring about a total collapse of our society, or would our citizenry rise to reform law and order, or would there be total chaos?

Also, why do we find it necessary to contemplate these scenarios? For a early 1960's genre film, "Panic in the Year Zero" was very enlightening and left an indelible mark on my psyche as a 10-year-old kid. I now know that it was a good thing.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Why would it all collapse?

Those folks are out of touch as it is and their stuff hits us later. It's not like we look toward the Federal government for leadership. How would a nuke in DC make people forget what to do in most state capitols and county seats?

Ever work in a place with 24/7 operations? What happens when the Adminstrative staff and management leave?

There's less interference, no stupid busy work or complying with things irrelevant to the task at hand, while others who aren't where the rubber meets the road have to justify their existence. We get REAL work done when the brass are gone.

Heck, efficiency would go up.

·
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Those folks are out of touch as it is and their stuff hits us later. It's not like we look toward the Federal government for leadership. How would a nuke in DC make people forget what to do in most state capitols and county seats?
Why do most people vote for a president and representatives? They perceive all is well in life when someone they elect is at the helm. What if there's no helm? How about when the welfare and SS checks stop and there's no one to call about it? A nuke in DC might be enough for people to say the hell with the state capitol since they are also now without subsidy.

·
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

There's less interference, no stupid busy work or complying with things irrelevant to the task at hand, while others who aren't where the rubber meets the road have to justify their existence. We get REAL work done when the brass are gone.

Heck, efficiency would go up.
You're right about that. :thumb:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
The Government has backup plans for if this exact scenario takes place. It would certainly be exciting for a while no doubt. If you were a child of the Cold War you would know of the many redundant systems that were thought of and implemented. Many have been abandoned as the game of Empire has changed but you can bet that new ones are constantly being put into place. Heck, the IRS had plans to tax people after all out nuclear war had happened. :(

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
Given the current political situation, there would probably be partying in the streets.

But seriously, the country would run fine on local and state government until new fed "lords and masters" could be elected. Yeah, it would be a disruption, but one that we'd get through without too much problem.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As long as there are positions of political power, there will be men (and women) vying for them. So there will be plenty of replacement candidates to step up and take over the reins.

There would be political chaos for a while, but that would not be nearly enough to end our country as we know it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
One thing that crossed my mind, and I think it is a realistic thought, is what would happen to our country of someone touched off a nuclear device at the nation's capitol when it was in session? Let's say the President and all of congress disappeared in a fraction of a second leaving the U.S. without any form of federal government, just the local militia, etc.?
If that happened I have no doubt the republic would survive, possibly even emerge stronger after a few years. The important thing is the state a local governments remaining intact, including police and national guard. There are enough 3 star generals with their fingers on nukes, not to mention the boomers which would keep any foreign aggressors at bay, they wouldn't want to anger a wounded bear anyway. Who knows, this time we might get the senate right and not have them elected by the popular vote.

·
A bad, bad man
215 Posts
They already have plans for it. "They" meaning interservice military, federal law enforcement, and national intelligence agencies. My brother, who stayed in the military, attends a yearly conference with the aformentioned groups and discuss this stuff. He is a logistical officer and covers supply, resupply and evacuation to said agencies and yes, civillians are included. He cuurently writes doctrine at a Virginia military post, so he really knows his/this stuff. Funny how he doesn't prep though...

And a Nuke in DC was the scenario two years ago.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I initial reaction to the scenario is that it could be comparable to a surgery, painful and you loose a bit but are better for it.

I don't think a collapse would follow a strike on dc when it's in session, there is too much structure left.

Russ

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
If we turned off the TV and radio for a week, you'd never know any of those a-holes ever even existed.

However, it would still probably create panic and hysteria. However, it would be an opportunity to actually fix the problems we have. It would come with some instant hurtles, but I would say the military would step in and take over until a new government was established.

All that said, we would be in better shape.

·
Registered
697 Posts
what would happen to our country of someone touched off a nuclear device at the nation's capitol when it was in session? Let's say the President and all of congress disappeared in a fraction of a second . . . . Would that single act bring about a total collapse of our society
We would recover. County government would react first, then State government. Eventually the Federal government would re-constitute. Probably have a military 4 star in control temporarily.

The only question I have is: Given that "the President and all of congress disappeared in a fraction of a second", is the celebration party pot-luck or do we pay for catering. . .

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
The only question I have is: Given that "the President and all of congress disappeared in a fraction of a second", is the celebration party pot-luck or do we pay for catering. . .
Either is acceptable according to Ms. Manners, but sending "Thank you" notes to the people responsible for the bombing would be considered in poor taste. :cool:

·
Future Codgers of America
218 Posts
I think (or at least hope) we would go back to a more Constitutional form of State's Rights federal government and that would be a very VERY good thing.

+N

1 - 18 of 18 Posts