Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Plinker
746 Posts
I not an Aussie, but seeing the catalog, they are Sporterized versions of the old Enfields. The British Jungle Carbine originally was the .303 cartridge and have been converted to take the AK-47/AKM rounds. The Rifle versions now take the 7.62x51 NATO (308 Winchester). They look like nice rifles, but seem too pricey for my taste. For that kind of dough you can get an awful nice rifle from any one of our major manufacturers here in the US.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ive been looking for another rifle chambered in 7.62x39...thanks for the post im gonna see what info i can dig up on this beautiful rifle!

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
i think a bolt gun for the 7.62x39 is kindof worthless because the bullet itself limits its range and accuracy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
i think a bolt gun for the 7.62x39 is kindof worthless because the bullet itself limits its range and accuracy.
Depends on whether you're interested in punching paper or punching bad guys; '39 will make "minute of thug" accuracy out past 200 yards easily from a gun like that.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Depends on whether you're interested in punching paper or punching bad guys; '39 will make "minute of thug" accuracy out past 200 yards easily from a gun like that.
that is true. but to get consistant results it would take handloads

Then again i can hit a cinderblock 9/10 times at 150 yards with my SKS so i'd guess a human size target would be possible at 200 yards...and its a simi. With the price of ammo climbing rapidly and the 7.62x54R ammo being more than the .308, it would be hard for me to buy any bolt rifle in anything less than .270. It kinda defeats the purpous IMHO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My intrest in a bolt action 7.62x39 stems from the fact that i live in a country with some pretty daft gun laws (7.62 semiautos are not legal) so a bolt gun fireing the ak round is very interesting indeed, to me at least this rifle/ammo combination seems like a winner :)

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
My intrest in a bolt action 7.62x39 stems from the fact that i live in a country with some pretty daft gun laws (7.62 semiautos are not legal) so a bolt gun fireing the ak round is very interesting indeed, to me at least this rifle/ammo combination seems like a winner :)

...well that changes things a bit lol... get it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=405210

Single shot kill on a doe at 278 yards with a 7.62x39 AR-15. Krochus has other threads about factory ammo and hand loads for the 7.62x39. All of his factory ammo groups are under 2" with Remington producing 1" at 100 yards thats right, MOA accuracy with 7.62x39.

A 7.62x39 bolt action would be potent medicine for deer, or 2 legged varmints out to 250 yards no problem.

here is another thread that has a picture of his bench rest gun in 7.62x39: he claims to have shot a .258" group. He has an extremely good reputation in the THR community, and there is no reason to doubt his credibility.

It can be found here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=325545

MYTH BUSTED. THE 7.62X39 M43 CARTRIDGE IS JUST AS ACCURATE AS ANY OTHER ROUND. END OF STORY. DISCUSSION OVER.

·
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
256 Posts
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=405210

Single shot kill on a doe at 278 yards with a 7.62x39 AR-15. Krochus has other threads about factory ammo and hand loads for the 7.62x39. All of his factory ammo groups are under 2" with Remington producing 1" at 100 yards thats right, MOA accuracy with 7.62x39.

A 7.62x39 bolt action would be potent medicine for deer, or 2 legged varmints out to 250 yards no problem.

here is another thread that has a picture of his bench rest gun in 7.62x39: he claims to have shot a .258" group. He has an extremely good reputation in the THR community, and there is no reason to doubt his credibility.

It can be found here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=325545

MYTH BUSTED. THE 7.62X39 M43 CARTRIDGE IS JUST AS ACCURATE AS ANY OTHER ROUND. END OF STORY. DISCUSSION OVER.
No, he has proven that his special 7.62x39 handloads in a built rifle are accurate, and the AR-15 is also an accurate rifle with his handloads. There is no proof of him making those shots with the standard M43 cartridge.

Unfortunately, regular 7.62x39 ammo fired from the AK-47 is not a very accurate combination when compared to an AR-15 in 5.56/.223. Most ARs will shoot close to 2 minutes at 100 yards right out of the box with no mods. AKs will shoot at 3-4 MOA at 100 yards, if you get a good one.

The .223 bas a ballistic coefficient of .237, while the 7.62x39 has a BC of around .275. The .223 round is always going to have an advantage in accuracy over the AK round when you get over 200 yards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think your confused. Ballistic coeficients have nothing to do with accuracy. They are simply an mathmatical quantification of how aerodynamic something is. Nor is this number a blanket statement for a caliber; it fluctuates wildly depending on bullet style and weight within every caliber.

A higher ballistic coeficient will give you a flatter trajectory, but it wont effect the size of your groups one bit.

Krochus experiments DO prove that the 7.62x39 is just as accurate as any other cartridge. Cheap ammunition is not loaded consistantly, but thats not the fault of the cartridge design, its the fault of the manufacutor and their poor quality control.

If you shot wolf .223 through a bolt action, you wouldn't get good groups, and you wouldn't expect to. Even if many people did this on regular basis, it wouldn't stop people from praising the "inherant accuracy" of the .223 cartridge.

Thats exactly what your doing to the 7.62x39 though; your shooting poorly constructed and inconsistantly loaded ammunition though rifles with loose tollerances and BLAMING THE CARTRIDGE DESIGN.

Thats illogical, hypocritical, and it perpetuates one of the great myths of the firearms community.

When you shoot good ammunition through a good rifle, you get good groups. This is true for ALL CALIBERS. And thus the notion of the 7.62x39 as an "inacurate cartridge", is complete BS.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I think your confused. Ballistic coeficients have nothing to do with accuracy. They are simply an mathmatical quantification of how aerodynamic something is. Nor is this number a blanket statement for a caliber; it fluctuates wildly depending on bullet style and weight within every caliber.

A higher ballistic coeficient will give you a flatter trajectory, but it wont effect the size of your groups one bit.

Krochus experiments DO prove that the 7.62x39 is just as accurate as any other cartridge. Cheap ammunition is not loaded consistantly, but thats not the fault of the cartridge design, its the fault of the manufacutor and their poor quality control.

If you shot wolf .223 through a bolt action, you wouldn't get good groups, and you wouldn't expect to. Even if many people did this on regular basis, it wouldn't stop people from praising the "inherant accuracy" of the .223 cartridge.

Thats exactly what your doing to the 7.62x39 though; your shooting poorly constructed and inconsistantly loaded ammunition though rifles with loose tollerances and BLAMING THE CARTRIDGE DESIGN.

Thats illogical, hypocritical, and it perpetuates one of the great myths of the firearms community.

When you shoot good ammunition through a good rifle, you get good groups. This is true for ALL CALIBERS. And thus the notion of the 7.62x39 as an "inacurate cartridge", is complete BS.
Not entirely true......there are certain cartrige/caliber combos that are INHERENTLY more accurate than others at a given distance. For example, benchrest competition shooters are all about their 6mmBR and other 6-6.5mm loads. The 6.5 Swede(6.5X55) is an inherently accurate cartrige. The 7.62X39 is not. Throughout history, certain chamberings have been found to be inherently accurate, others have not.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have 4 enfields of various makes. They are great weapons, but the ammo is not overly cheap. On the plus side when they hit something it will stay down.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
HOpe the don't shoot like a Jungle Carbine. THe original Jungle Carbine was a disaster in that it had a wandering center. For some reason the round tending not to stay on center after a shot or two. I have shot and owned several of them. Nice looking gun you have there. Most of the others are number 4 varients and really nice looking. DOwn under you have to go for what you can get.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not entirely true......there are certain cartrige/caliber combos that are INHERENTLY more accurate than others at a given distance. For example, benchrest competition shooters are all about their 6mmBR and other 6-6.5mm loads. The 6.5 Swede(6.5X55) is an inherently accurate cartrige. The 7.62X39 is not. Throughout history, certain chamberings have been found to be inherently accurate, others have not.
Then how do you explain the PPC series of cartridges? They are highly accurate DIRECT descendants of the M43 cartridge with a clear lineage and clear line of development. These cartridges are also hand loaded and fired from built rifles in the bench rest competitions you mentioned; I was told you that hand loads and built rifles DON'T COUNT, so you cant use those examples either. ;)

A FAIR analogy is a Swedish Mauser (quality surplus gun) shooting military surplus ammunition ("inherently accurate" cartridge). I own one, and it shoots about MOA at 100 yards with surplus ammunition. Guess what, thats the same kind of accuracy you get with a 7.62x39 bolt gun and decent brass ammunition.

Cartridges like the 6mm Bench Rest and 6.5 swede are ONLY more accurate on average because higher quality brass is available for them, and more attention is payed during the construction of the rifles that shoot them. When you take a rifle of equal quality in 7.62x39 and shoot ammunition of equal quality, you get MOA groups just like you do with everything else. If you build a rifle and shoot hand loads, then you get itty-bitty groups just like everything else.

Just because most of the cartridges loaded for the 7.62x39 are low quality does not make it any more or less "inherently accurate" than anything else. We have seen again and again, now with links from multiple posters, that when rifle quality and ammo quality are the same, groups for the 7.62x39 are just as good as anything else.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts