Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Learning more each day
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across this http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-talk_moneydec03,0,2902061.story

Something like this might be the way a community comes back to life after a major economic meltdown. I personally see bartering as an initial form of exchanging goods and services but this maybe the next step after that, or a way a community could survive. The part that was most shocking to me was that it is legal. While the dollar still has value I have been converting it into durable goods I need now and for the future b/c I feel one day soon it will not be worth the paper it is printed on.

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Just ran across this http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-talk_moneydec03,0,2902061.story

Something like this might be the way a community comes back to life after a major economic meltdown. I personally see bartering as an initial form of exchanging goods and services but this maybe the next step after that, or a way a community could survive. The part that was most shocking to me was that it is legal. While the dollar still has value I have been converting it into durable goods I need now and for the future b/c I feel one day soon it will not be worth the paper it is printed on.
Soon.........how about now.....hasn't been for years.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Good Morning America| World News| 20/20| Primetime| Nightline| This Week| ABC News Now| i-Caught| ABC.com
Friday, December 05, 2008
Register | Sign In Home| World| U.S.| Investigative| Politics| Polls| Money| Health| Entertainment| ESPN Sports| SciTech| Law| Travel| On Campus Home > WNT
New England Town Prints Up Its Own Currency
'Berkshares' Are Intended to Encourage Local Commerce
By STEPHANIE SY
SOUTHERN BERKSHIRE, Mass., Feb. 25, 2007
2 comments FONT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
RSS Susan Witt is an unassuming middle-aged woman who drives a Volvo around her quaint Rockwell-esque town and has somehow managed to foment a small revolution.

Berkshares are available in five denominations. The bills are printed on high-quality paper and feature local heroes and landscapes of Southern Berkshire. $835,000-worth of Berkshares have been printed.
(ABC News)
After years of planning, Witt started printing her own money and spending it around town.

She is not a counterfeiter. She is the founder of Berkshares, a local currency that was introduced last fall in Southern Berkshire, Mass. (where Normal Rockwell lived out his later years).

"The Berkshares are pretty simple to operate," she said. "You walk into a local bank, put down $90 federal and get 100 Berkshares, and then those Berkshares are spent at full value at regional stores."

$835,000-worth of notes were printed on fine-grain paper and distributed to banks that agreed to participate. The notes are now accepted at 225 businesses in the area, and the program continues to grow.

Berkshares were created to stimulate the local economy by giving people incentive to shop in their own neighborhood, rather than drive the distance to large chain stores.

"We want to encourage everybody to do their business locally rather than going to a mall or shopping online," said Sharon Palma, executive director of the Southern Berkshire Chamber of Commerce. "Using Berkshares, you have to do business locally, and the other really nice piece of that is it's face-to-face business."

Several communities across the U.S., Canada and Europe have developed similar programs, but only Berkshares are fully-backed by the U.S. dollar. Several banks in Southern Berkshire have agreed to exchange Berkshares for dollars.

Ursula Cliff was spotted using Berkshares at Guido's grocery store, a 27-year-old family business in the town of Great Barrington.

"I don't think that whether or not a merchant accepts Berkshares really affects my decision if it's something I really want to buy," she said. "On the other hand, almost everywhere I go the stores use Berkshares, and I do certainly have a warmer feeling for them when they do that."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4NEXT >
Read 2 Comments and Post Your Own
Next Story: Oops, Clinton Did It Again: Facts Questioned

DIGG
DELICIOUS
FACEBOOK
PRINT
EMAIL
RSS
UPLOAD

Comment & ContributeIf you would like to tell us more facts about this story, please click here to send the editors of ABC News a separate email with the information you have.
Member Comments (2)
I just read this article about local private money for your community. I think it is a FANTASTIC idea and a great way for the smaller communities which are somewhat old fashioned and dying to revitalize their town. Ours is one of them which I believe could benefit from such a program and wish they would try it. Our country really needs local revitalization in many areas. Thank you for your courage and initiative in starting such a program. May others be as bold.
polllyyd47 3/18/08 I recently heard of private currencies from a friend and thought he was crazy. However, after reading this article and seeing the movie I conducted my own research and found over 40 private currencies in the US alone. The most interesting project is the "The United Cities Private Dollars" currency project created by TUC - The United Cities. This project is not only providing immediate benefits to the local community but, is launching this project nationwide. Some of the benefits offered are incredible!! Such as: guaranteed employment for 30 yrs, transportation, 100% healthcare, retirement plan, 28 basic services paid for by your employer through a TUC grant program.I'm hoping you can look into this for the benefit of the general public like myself.Thank you,Daniel
provenperformer 6/15/07
View All Comments (2)
Watch Video

WATCH: Webcast: The Best of 2007
WATCH: Christmas Credit Crunch
WATCH: City Of Angels Cuts Murder Rate

WNT News
Oops, Clinton Did It Again: Facts QuestionedClinton backs off from another stump story after it is challenged.

Oops, Clinton Did It Again: Facts Questioned
Katrina Fraud Backlog Swamps Feds
'Cellywood': Movies Hit the Tiny Screen
Town Flattened by Tornado Combs Rubble for Survivors; Bush: 'We'll Help'
'Ever Heard of a Dead President?': Student Held After Alleged Hillary Threat

Slideshows

PHOTOS: 75 Years Since Prohibition
PHOTOS: Affleck's Signs of Aging
PHOTOS: Barbara's Most Fascinating of 2008

Top Stories

Short on Votes, Dems Demand Bush Pay for Auto Bailouts
Wall Street Braces for Jobless Numbers
Indian Official Admits Gov't. Shortcomings

ABC News to Go RSS Feeds
Podcasts E-mail Newsletters
ABC News Mobile Most Popular ViewedCommentedEmailedTV Anchors Murder Probe Cracks Cold CaseMother Goes Undercover to Help SonBarbara Walters' 10 Most Fascinating, 2008WATCH: Woman Found Being Eaten AliveWATCH: Over-the-Head Basket Wins GameWATCH: 'View' Gets Loud About LimbaughPHOTOS: Sexy Stars Rock New Hairstyles PHOTOS: Barbara's Most Fascinating of 2008PHOTOS: Stars Battle It OutMore Popular News »

ADVERTISER LINK
The New York Times
Get home delivery of The New York Times for as low as $3.15 a week.

ABC News Features
ABC News

The NoteABC News

Special Section: Fueling AngerGMA

Send Us Your Video: How Do You Say GMA? ABC News

Earth 2100: Play the Game and Participate!ABC News

OnCall+ Allergies

Feedback| Wireless| E-mails & News Alerts| Message Boards| RSS Headlines| Podcasts| ABC News Store
Contact Us| Site Map| Advertising Info| Terms of Use| Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights
External links are provided for reference purposes. ABC News is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
Copyright © 2008 ABCNews Internet Ventures
Content

1 - 4 of 4 Posts