Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Adventurer
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of people know that ammo will be a good form of currency once money is worthless. But I also think there is an opportunity for water and food to be a currency. Many preppers say they will keep all their food and water to themselves and for good reason! I get it. But what if you prepped for way more than you could ever need, and were able to use that food, water, and ammo as currency to make you the new king? Or the new Walmart of the post-SHTF world? Security concerns are very high with a plan like this but if you could make it work you could be the Bill Gates of the afterworld. Just thinking out loud...

Oh, and to add a little humor to this post, you know you would be a freaking God if you had a few semis worth of beer to barter with. :D:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think that would be a very dangerous situation. If a person, or family, was able to have supplies that vast, you would have great difficulty defending it. The more you have and the more people that know you have it, the harder it would be to defend. Once word got out that you had all these extra supplies, you'd have your hands full. As for being a king, I think I'd rather stay under the radar. As history has shown, there have been a lot of kings overthrown and killed over power. And being a king in that situation, you'd have a slew of people looking to take what you have by any means necessary. I would prefer to not draw anymore attention to myself than absolutely necessary. So while it's a novel idea, no thanks. :)

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
There is a place relatively near to me that was the old "general store" for this area and will\would be again.

I have an active plan In place to make it so.

Using it as a central distribution point for food will kick start it.
(Locally grown, given away will provide stabalization to the area as well as kickstart cooperation.

I have various denominations of PM's to use which I will help their usage by accepting.

I have been making fruit juices, a friend who will bug out here is an award winning brewer, I have the equipment (I've helped him brew, but won't do it on my own till next year.)
And in addition to bulk grain storage I've planted lots of fruit trees.

I plan to wholesale, not retail.
Let others take the risk.

But between booze, excess food, and PM's I do not expect a lack of "currency"
I WILL use ammo, but only within a select group.

·
Adventurer
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that would be a very dangerous situation. If a person, or family, was able to have supplies that vast, you would have great difficulty defending it. The more you have and the more people that know you have it, the harder it would be to defend. Once word got out that you had all these extra supplies, you'd have your hands full. As for being a king, I think I'd rather stay under the radar. As history has shown, there have been a lot of kings overthrown and killed over power. And being a king in that situation, you'd have a slew of people looking to take what you have by any means necessary. I would prefer to not draw anymore attention to myself than absolutely necessary. So while it's a novel idea, no thanks. :)
I agree with you, very dangerous. But with enough people securing the compound it could be done. I personally don't think I would do it, but just thought I would throw the idea out there.

·
Semper Fi
10,625 Posts
I don't really see any of that becoming "currency" per se. More of a barter material that the value of which will be more situational then a hard and fast "x# of this gets you y# of that".

·
Adventurer
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really see any of that becoming "currency" per se. More of a barter material that the value of which will be more situational then a hard and fast "x# of this gets you y# of that".
Well none of us has lived in a Mad Max world so none of us knows. I am just trying to look at possible things I may need to deal with.

·
It's science.
15 Posts
I've reconsidered, and I believe now, that ammo won't be as valuable as first thought.

The few stashes I've seen, have a month's worth of food and ten years' worth of ammunition. As I read this forum, it looks like everyone has cartons of the stuff.

I'm thinking that folks simply love to buy ammo. It feels good (literally!) to own 500 lbs of 5.56mm .

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,798 Posts
You need not worry about currency........your regional warlord and the regional warlords enforcers will handle that for you. Just do what you are told. And be quick about doing it.

Life will not be like the silly fantasy's people daydream about.

Study Somalia as it is today......Really, if you want to know what a super serious "Post-SHTF" will be like. If your to lazy to study Somalia, just Re-watch "Blackhawk Down".

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I've reconsidered, and I believe now, that ammo won't be as valuable as first thought.

The few stashes I've seen, have a month's worth of food and ten years' worth of ammunition. As I read this forum, it looks like everyone has cartons of the stuff.

I'm thinking that folks simply love to buy ammo. It feels good (literally!) to own 500 lbs of 5.56mm .
This forum's population isn't 1\1,000 of the general pubic

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,225 Posts
A currency is something that facilitates trade. We here in the US accept dollars as payment because we know we can trade them for almost anything we want.

Things like food and water and ammo are much more in the realm of barter items than a "currency." For these things to be valuable in trade we have to find someone else who wants them, PLUS has things we want to "buy" with those items.

This is setting aside your assertion that "Lots of people know that ammo will be a good form of currency once money is worthless." I don't know that, and I doubt anyone does. They may believe it, or think it, but anyone who believes they know what's going to happen when TSHTF is, IMO, a fool. And that's setting aside the idea that ammo will be or is a good trade item. You may trust the person you trade it to, but do you trust the person they trade it to?

You don't have to struggle to imagine what might work as a currency post-SHTF. Junk silver coins fill that void admirably. Recognizable, divisible, relatively compact--IMO, if you don't have at least some junk silver coin, you're taking some fairly large chances.

Since I do not know what will happen, or be perceived as valuable, post-SHTF, I have a lot of items I believe may be valuable and worth stocking as barter or trade items. That includes feminine hygiene products, buckets and water filters, salt, batteries (including rechargeable batteries that may be "lent" out and brought back to be recharged...at a price), toilet paper....

I do not know what might be in demand and valuable. I don't know that I have prepped everything I'm going to need. So I have laid in some supplies of things that may be valuable post-SHTF.

Anyone who says they know what will be valuable is scenario-planning. There are a billion possible scenarios--who's to say which will occur? Since that is the case, I prep capabilities, not for scenarios.

·
Registered
7 Posts
... But what if you prepped for way more than you could ever need, and were able to use that food, water, and ammo as currency to make you the new king?...
I like this comment because we can put it in perspective. In the war-torn (I consider these to be one SHTF scenario) locations I've been in, most of the people are knocked back a few decades. Electricity is unavailable, food is harder to come by, running water has shut down, etc.

In our modern day, we truly live better than kings did 100 years ago in many ways. We have endless entertainment from TV and Internet, pretty easy access to food, and not just running water, but hot water whenever we want it.

In my mind, living like a king would mean maintaining these modern benefits as much as possible. You may not have Netflix in a grid-down scenario, but maybe you have a handful of movies saved and a generator to run your computer/tv. It sounds like easy access to food and clean water are taken care of, so maybe keeping that hot water heater going. Climate control with an A/C or heater?

If living like a king means being able to boss people around, I don't know that I'd want it. Sure, it would be nice in any situation to have a dozen people working for me, but I think I'd rather be a real leader than a king in that situation.

If you're simply looking at controlling the markets, having a ton of supplies that you can use would be beneficial. As others have pointed out, you may be putting yourself at risk. But there are people doing it right now, we call them drug dealers. Unless you're in the drug dealing business, you likely won't meet the top dog. Setting up a network of distributors may be a solution, but I'd stick with people you knew you could trust pre-SHTF rather than attempting to build that network afterward.

Ultimately, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to barter or use excess food as a currency. Goose3 makes some good points about understanding that currencies are transferable, meaning that it has value to you because you know you can spend it. Salt has served this purpose in the past and I don't see why certain food items, particularly durable ones like rice or beans, couldn't serve that purpose in a true SHTF situation. But each situation is different and rice and beans may not be readily accepted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anybody knows a real life example from any period of history when ammo (in any form) actually was a currency? I mean not just an item to barter, but an actual currency?
I don't think we're going to find one. The truth is that ammo, at least in its modern transferable form, is relatively new. The other issue is that most of the nations that have had economic collapses since the common use of modern ammo have been countries where firearms were strictly prohibited/monitored.

So I think a U.S. collapse would really be the first time in history it has ever had a chance to play a role as a currency.

But I think the person who asked the question used the term "currency" to mean a reliable barter option more than meeting all of the requirements of a real currency. I could be wrong on that though.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Does anybody knows a real life example from any period of history when ammo (in any form) actually was a currency? I mean not just an item to barter, but an actual currency?
any period of history?

I think ammo was the primary currency from 1300-1450 in central Europe.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,798 Posts
I am not worried about currency.........I will be giddy happy to still be alive after the first six months. I'll bring a bundle of trapped furs to trade at that point.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts