Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking,
what's a good alternative for lamp oil and candles once you run out?
you can only store so much eventually you will run out, but what then?

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Then go to you local general store and get some more or just get a few crank flashlights and forget it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have some handcrank flashlights
but knowing more then just the regular ways is always better,
animal fat burns for a long time that's true

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,697 Posts
If you're a beekeeper, you can make candles. If not, grow an oil crop and use oil lamps. Sunflowers are probably the easiest since they grow pretty much everywhere and make a lot of oil. But there are a lot of choices in oil crops. I was growing castor at my last house.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's a interesting thing once i move out,
im gonna try to do that, that's a double by the way, since you can eat sunflower seeds,

·
hunter-gatherer
126 Posts
Splints of fir was still used by my grand parents, in northern europe ,it works well but you must change it frequently, it was work of children to seat near and change splints. i never tried rushlights but it looks very interesting

Peermen and Rushlights belong to the same family. Both are of very ancient design and serve about the same purpose but work in slightly different ways. The essential difference between them being the purpose of the peerman is to burn candle fir or fatwood as it was often was called in early America while the rushlight burns prepared rushes collected in the countryside. Fir candles are long splints of wood stripped along the grain of fallen fir trees. These were once commonplace in the pine forested countries of Northern Europe. In the U.K. they only existed in Scotland and to a lesser extent in Northern Ireland. Unlike the meadow rushes used for illumination, fir candles require no preparation and due to their high natural oil content burn quicker. They are therefore burned in the vertical position. Nearly all peermen incorporate a spring but very few rushlights do because pressure can crush the rush. Despite the fact that the candle tax was abolished in 1831 in the UK, rushlights continued to be produced well into the Victorian era. Almost all of the later ones incorporate a candle socket so that more than one type of light could be used. Some early ones also incorporated this feature as well. Peerman likewise sometimes have a socket for a tallow candle. Once these devices progressed from the 18th Century into the machine age they became more refined and are very difficult to date. No one has established when they became obsolete for certain. They may well have carried on for al lot longer than historians once commonly thought. After all, when common folk had a source of good bright light which was completely free, why would they want to change and start buying expensive tallow candles? Scotland consisted largely of rural communities often very isolated from one another. It is quite possible that the nearest chandler 's shop was a days walk away. New England was very much the same. Many fine examples of early lighting devices have been discovered in Maine. It is still one of the best places to find early iron work in the USA.

for more check here http://www.ramshornstudio.com/early_lighting_1.htm

also i forgot, fir splints you must fix almost horizontally and find optimal equilibrium between speed of burning and light

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've bought a number of the solar powered yard lights. When things go bad, my plan is to put them out in the back yard during the day, then bring them in at night. About ten or fifteen will light up a room, and the kids can take one to bed or the bathroom and have enough light to give them comfort, and I won't worry about burns or fire.

They last a long time (my neighbors have had theirs in their yard for over seven years) and at $2-$5 each, it's extremely cost effective. Add to that, no batteries, oil, or wax and it's a must have for any prepared home.

·
Taoist
2,023 Posts
Well, if you live in an area with a lot of pine trees, you can boil the needles for pine oil...and this guy has a good idea;

However, we have a lot of clay on our property...I was going to try his bush lamp with a ceramic bowl, and pine needle oil. I am also going to plant sunflowers...got to figure out a way to get the oil out of them, though...the oil expellers I've seen on the 'Net are spendy.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Candles are pretty easy to make from a variety of materials, wax, fat, etc. Same with oil lamps, there are several vegetable oils, saps and pitches that burn well, and also animal fat. No need to run out.
Solar powered yard lights, security lights, etc. may be good for a time, but they have batteries that eventually will not take or hold a charge. Same with the crank lights and radios, eventually they will stop holding the charge no matter how much you crank. They sure are great while they last, though, and would serve to extend your candles and oil supplies. the solar powered motion activiated security lights are really great to have around camp in bear country, good security devices.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There is another site I had on my desktop called journeytoforever I believe. Desktop comp has not been unpacked from moving. That site has loads of simple homemade devices that are useful for a homestead or post shtf.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Do you have any idea what your asking

First off if the SHTF you wont be up all night on the computer or watching TV. You will be sleeping becase you will be tired from working. Up with the sun and asleep soon after dark. We do that for the most part right now and dont use hardly any night lights.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,697 Posts
that's a interesting thing once i move out,
im gonna try to do that, that's a double by the way, since you can eat sunflower seeds,
Yep. And you can still eat them after you press the oil out also. It makes a nice, high protein feed cake that can be used in cooking or as animal feed.

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
First off if the SHTF you wont be up all night on the computer or watching TV. You will be sleeping becase you will be tired from working. Up with the sun and asleep soon after dark. We do that for the most part right now and dont use hardly any night lights.
You beat me to it.

People without lights go to bed early.

Problem solved.

elgin:thumb:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts