Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the areo garden units for basic growing of cherry tamatos and salad growing in the shelter as a way of haveing some fresh foods here and there in the winter time ....

So i was wondering what do you think of them as a small indoor garden set up for basic use in the kitchen to grow some basic foods for to eat dureing the winter time ..

the unit is not going to replace the garden just more a way to keep a little bit of fresh greens in the house dureing the winter time..i have e-mail them about bringing out a fuit unit like strawberrys and other fuits units pack to grow in them for

So any ideas on the unit ..

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
They are cute. They are expensive. Not very productive for the size they are, and you will always be dependent on a) electricity and b) availability of their proprietary 'pods' or whatever they call them.

I don't have one, but, have, at various times, considered getting one. Always though, even before I re-adopted the 'preparer' mindset, I came to the conclusion that they were not worth the money, especially since, like many consumer products these days, they are designed to make you dependent on the company that produces them for the 'consumables'. I am sure others will disagree, of course, but, please think about the cost/benefits before you purchase.

What I do have, and am now getting rid of (because I have no room for it really, and therefore have not used it for too many years) is a LARGE (3 tiers) grow light 'stand'. So I do have some experience on which to base my appraisal - I did use that for years before I moved to a smaller place - and, would recommend that, if you want to grow indoors, you improvise your own 'grow light' area (not so 'pretty' but much cheaper and you can just plant your own seeds), perhaps in a closet or basement. Just hang a grow light from the ceiling, on a chain so you can adjust its height as the plants grow, and put your regular starter peat pots etc below it on a table. Add a timer if you want so you don't have to turn the lights on and off every day.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You can set up a grow light set in a basement on a timer (and they do need darkness to grow properly) with a hydroponic type of growing situation (self watering even if you are good) that would be better than an Aerogarden

·
I have control issues
7,110 Posts
I have 2 of them (Christmas and Anniversary gifts from my husband).

The plants tend to germinate well. Plant growth is REALLY good. As for the tomatoes...well, had LOTS of plant growth, LOTS of blossoms, but NO tomatoes (no bugs/wind to do the pollination).

So, for seed starting, they're GREAT! For "greens" (lettuce/spinach, etc) ALSO great. For herbs, absolutely fantastic. For "fruiting" type veggies...not so much.

·
I have control issues
7,110 Posts
If kept outdoors the soil dries very quickly. THere is a tendancy to over water or under water. IMHO They require much more work than planting them in the ground simply becasue of that.
There is NO SOIL in the AeroGardens. They are hydroponic/aeroponic systems. No soil at all. ou may be thinking of something else.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There is NO SOIL in the AeroGardens. They are hydroponic/aeroponic systems. No soil at all. ou may be thinking of something else.
I guess so. I am thinking of the upside down tomato plants. They require soil and the right amount of water. Usually you hang them from a stand or ceiling.

Must be something else. I'll look up aerogardens then. My bad.

Edit to add:

I looked them up. You are correct. Not what I was thinking of.

·
I have control issues
7,110 Posts
I guess so. I am thinking of the upside down tomato plants. They require soil and the right amount of water. Usually you hang them from a stand or ceiling.

Must be something else. I'll look up aerogardens then. My bad.

Edit to add:

I looked them up. You are correct. Not what I was thinking of.
Easy mistake to make. No worries. :D:

·
Rural Legend
42 Posts
cute
expensive
Not very productive
electricity dependant

I recieve 6 different farming trade journals, I routinely see them being marketed.

I do not see the benefit.
Ditto what BKeeper said.....and add Labor Intensive!

Keep your plants in soil, under good indoor grow lights. They won't grow as fast, but soil is so less forgiving of mistakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.