Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a new to me vehicle.

What are your thoughts on a 1985 AMC Eagle 4x4 wagon with 170K miles on it?
Seems in good condition but they are asking $4k for it.

Are they reliable?
Any issues to look out for?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a very old AMC car, how can it not have issues! :cool: seriously impressed it made 170. Those were 100k life engines in those days at best.

·
Registered
264 Posts
and please , before some AMC fan starts griping about how wrong I am. If they were reliable wouldn't you see them more than unicorns? This is just my opinion and observation, worth what ya paid for it :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
When i was in Tech school on my Auto degree, we put a comm. system into an Eagle for Campus Security.
the comm system worked fine, but the vehicle lasted only a year.

They held together but were not very popular and parts are a headache.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.

I just don't like the newer computerized cars and am looking for something that I would be able to work on if the need arose.

Ant suggestions? It needs to be 4x4.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
If you're looking for a car instead of a truck, look at Subaru.
I owned three Subarus. I bought one the first year they started selling them, I think it was 1974. Man, that thing was a POS. I did got a Brat next and that was much better; that was a 1979. But it was largely not a real vehicle as much as it was a toy if you know what I mean. I dumped that when I got married and had a kid in the family. My last one was newer and had a computer in it. Like others have posted, I am not a fan of that crap in my vehicles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Look at old Ford or Chevy. Plan on spending several thousand $ on parts and pieces, unless it’s been overhauled in the past few years. Could think about things like engine, transmission, shocks/struts/suspension, tires, brakes, etc.
But, you’d have a nice, recently rebuilt truck that may be more dependable than modern trucks and easier to work on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I personally like the mechanics on the AMCs as I am a fan of the old Jeeps when they were made by AMC. I had several friend who had the 4X4 Eagles in the 80s and the cars generally fell apart around the drivetrain. The electric windows stopped working and the interior components seemed to come loose, break, and severely rattle around.

While new parts are virtually non-existent. Wrecking yards and U-Pull salvage yards are full of them.

If you like to tinker on cars and do ALL of your own maintenance, it could be something interesting. If you pay others to do you vehicle work, I would look for something with more parts availability as it will likely get expensive.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 68 f250 with a built 390 and transmission, but it is only 2wd.

I was looking to spend up to 10k and figured I could fix up the Eagle with the extra cash.
But don't want it to be a money pit at the same time.
Broncos are like hens teeth around here, either restored for big bucks, $40 to 60k, or completely trashed for too much money.
I have been looking for 4runners but finding one with less than 250k miles in price range is almost impossible.
I will only pay cash.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,085 Posts
I've got a '95 F150 Ford Pickup that I bought at an auction 10 years ago for $2500.00. I've done some work to it (replaced rear end from a salvage yard) had a problem with the TBI and that set me back a bit. I've got a Gem Top Steel canopy over the bed and I've pretty much made the backend a camper with a portapotty, 12v/120v cooler, storage under the benches hold quite a bit. Parts are readilty available and the 302 engine is bulletproof.

I've also got a 95 27' RV that sleeps 8 but, it's just me, the wife, dogs cats and parakeets so I'm thinking the back room will be a shop or office, the overhead part of the RV I'm going to convert to storage. I tow my 92 YJ Jeep with it and that RV gets 10mpg with or without the Jeep back there. 460 Ford motor in the rv, 2.5l 4 cyl in the Jeep..

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'll come out of left field here and suggest an Astro or Safair van AWD. Haven't been made seen 2005 but if you look around awhile you can find a good one at a decent price IMO. Recently picked up a 2005 Safari AWD pretty much rust free.for $4500. Take a look at the specs of these vehicles..you'd be hard pressed to find any other vehicle that can check off the boxes that these can..even anything made today. Few downsides are mileage and more of a truck like ride, although you can improve the latter. JMO..YMMV.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The core issue here is the computer controls.

If you can at least stomach the basic level OBEII slap on sensors, then a 82 Cherokee is in order.

But if you want total old school, another very real and good option are Internationals.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,300 Posts
and please , before some AMC fan starts griping about how wrong I am. If they were reliable wouldn't you see them more than unicorns? This is just my opinion and observation, worth what ya paid for it :)

They were low production cars to start with. Then Cash for Clunkers came along.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Unless you want a garage queen you have to completely rebuild, its a 35 year old classic with extremely high milage for that era. Black book evaluation time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts