Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the issue of preparedness/ survivalism I’ve come across two issues that have stumped me and would appreciate any feedback on the following scenarios from people who’ve experienced/thought through these types of situations or enjoy thinking through the decision making process in these types of issues.

First issue: I own and live in a home in Las Vegas with my wife, son and daughter. I have a business located 1.50 miles from our home that has three offices (rented). I rent a storage space 1.0 miles in the other direction. Although I still have work to do in my home in getting prepared I have the following questions: 1. Would you store back up items (water, firearms, food, clothing…) at the office and storage space in case we were forced from our home. 2. Would you store back up items at both the office and the storage location or just one (if one back up location, which one and why). Whether you stored back up items at one location or two locations, how would you allocate items either by percentage of total or by time (10% of total food or one week’s supply of food). 3. Would you concentrate on certain back up items (food and water, or would you include back up firearms, clothing…)?

Second issue: I’ve thought about buying property outside of Las Vegas in case we need to leave the city and have considered the following: 1. Buying inexpensive acreage either in Northwest Arizona or Northern/Central Nevada (my concern is that people would get there before me and take my supplies/property). 2. Buying a home in a small town in Nevada/Arizona where people know each other but is close enough to get to if I needed to. (people would know their neighbors and might help band together in the short term if there was a major problem) 3. Buying a home in central Iowa where I have a lot of family (my concern is that someone I know could watch/live in the house but how would I get there when everything is falling apart).

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
501 Posts
In your second issue you bring up some great points; I'm looking forward to what others have to say. I'm a bit stumped as to what I would do.....but I'd probably buy a house in a small community and store my goods there and bunker down. How is the overall area you are in for gardening without a constant supply of water? Can you get by if the services are turned off? If you cant do those things by Las Vegas, maybe buying a property in Iowa might be better but harder to get to....

As for issue one, I wouldnt store my supplies in a rented space.....you never know if your renter comes in for a surprise visit when you're not around.....

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
IMHO, if you have the dosh stocking supplies in both places would be a good. You should hide anything you do store. your co-workers are likely to vulture when TSHTF.

Are any of the three places likely to be effected by the natural disasters in your area? For example, if you think the office is likely to be under water in a flood then it is probably not worth stocking much there.

I would start with water (extra, it is hot in LA) and food for three days plus a change of clothes and personal/sanitary needs for everyone. if your kids are young then a couple games might be nice. As you learn more about preparedness and about your needs for your area the further preps will become apparent to you and you can expand as time and resources permit.

At the office I would want a get home bag. Even though it is only 1.5 miles that might be hard in an emergency. a hat and sun screen would be a must in LA... and water too. do you wear dress shoes at the office? if so put some tennies or hikers in your bag.

I would be very careful about guns though. make sure no one knows about them and that they are locked and hidden. the last thing you want is for someone to steal your gun and use it for a crime.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Let me start by saying this is just my opinion. This is how I did it.

I stocked my house first and once I had a sufficient amount I stocked my work area as much as I could. In your case your work area is very close to your house, I'd go with a GHB (get home bag) instead of stocking your office. Your rental storage space shouldn't be used to store your supplies. First off most storage spaces aren't temperature controlled but even if it is it's so close to your house that I don't see the advantage of using it as a supply depot.

Think about what scenarios would cause you to evacuate your house w/o your supplies. Outside of a fire most are likely to involve a violent encounter, if they ran you out of your house they'd probably follow you the short distance to your office or storage space.

I would suggest spending the money on well equipped BOB's (Bug Out Bags) for you and your wife. Another option is having a well stocked trailer you can tow if you have to leave. A lot of areas to run to in the hills and mountains outside of Vegas. I've hiked in the Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon, also along Lake Meade, all have potential as bug out areas.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i think if i had the money, i would get some land (5-50acres) within 1hrs drive from your house perfered there to be alot of trees.make a cellar and put a small hunting cabin or large shed over it and make a secret door that must be opened a certain way.you could even put a steel door at the bottom of the stairs with a dead bolt or 2 just to make sure.if you hide it right NO1 will even know its there. at home i would have 1-2 5gallon gas cans filled so you will have the gas to get to the cabin it may not be a question of money to get gas, but a question of where can you get gas.and i would set up the cabin so you can survive in it water/a wood burnning stove for heat and to cook from...ect.
i would stock up some food (1 years worth)and 1-2 pistols/ammo and a shotgun at the house. my main stockpile would be at the cellar.

i wouldnt put anything in the storage place unless it has AC, heat will make every thing go bad fast.at the most a weapon and a box or 2 of ammo is the most id keep there. i wouldnt put anything at the office accept a loaded pistol you may need it inorder to get home.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We are going through that same planning right now. Our particular situation is like this: I work about 4 hours by foot from work if for some reason I can't drive anymore. An easy hike about 1/3rd urban and 2/3rd rural. I keep a GHB in my truck and have a change of clothes. I have to wear a suit for work, so especially in the rain or winter walking in a suit just wouldn't be comfortable if I had to walk. We have bottled water at work, so no reason to lug it along in the car.

All of our preparations and stockpiles are on the farm where we live. It's in a small town which would be relatively secure when SHTF. This is a good place for long term living. Unfortunately we are not off the grid just yet - but in terms of food we can be self sufficient
Since we have full time jobs that take up a lot of our time we are not farming just yet. So we stocked up on three fronts. Security, Food and Farming

Security: No guns allowed over here without jumping through many hoops it is mostly non-lethal. Batons, Knives, Hunting Bow. Home security is super easy only some barbed wire needed in our situation.

Food: Enough grains, canned goods, etc. to last us 1 year until the farm is running

Farming Stuff: Buying everything we need... equipment,garden tools, chicken wire, etc as we see good prices come up. Oh and stocking up on seeds of course.

There really is no reason for us to have stockpiles anywhere else. We do keep stocked Bug out Bags for all humans and pets within easy reach if we do need leave in a hurry. One thing we do keep in the bug out bag, as well as in my get home bag is a encrypted memory stick with scans of all important information - insurance policies, passports, marriage certificate, proof of ownerships etc. That stuff is your life in 99% of emergency situation where society still functions.

Currently we are looking for a remote cabin within 1 tank of gas drive (maximum 1 tank + 1 canister) as a place of last resort. We plan to have a liveable cabin there with wood burning stove and solar power. We don't think we need to keep too much inventory there - since most likely it will only be used for the quick getaway type of threat. If you get a piece of land like that make sure to resist telling anyone about it for maximum security. So, no 4th of July BBQ with family and friends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts