Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a friends HK 91 he has for sale. I dont know a lot about them and have done some research but want some first hand experience. Reliable? Accurate? Robust? I need to know some things before I plunk down an amount of cash. It is built on a Hesse receiver with green furniture. Im going to go shoot it this evening but was wondering what anyones experience with one was. Good or bad. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I had a hesse 91. It was fairly reliable but the accuracy was really lacking. I do like the way they recoil--they seem to come straight back instead of raising, makes it easier to regain sight picture.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The HK91 is probably the best 7.62X54 rifle that was introduced.

Accurate enough to get the job done, low recoil, and sturdy as anything.

Don't get the Blackthorne/Hesse/Vulcan "HK91", as anything that comes out of that facility is NOT safe to shoot...They don't abide by any spec sheet, and slap them together any way they can...

Save up, and get the real German HK91 - you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've owned an original HK and currently own a PTR-91. A real Hk-91 is very reliable, robust and fairly accurate. What your friend has is a clone built with a notoriously low quality reciever. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have a real HK 91 and love it. Bought it in the 80s when you could get them for under $500. Tough enough to drive railroad spikes and pretty good on accuracy. Parts and accessories have come way down over the years but the guns have gone way up. My only complaints are the weight and the location of the mag release. They also take quite allot of strength to ****, but I solved that by putting a large diameter key ring through the hole in the cocking handle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their advice. Using the info I found here and a little heavier research I founf out that this is indeed a clone. And as mentioned not a great one at that. My .308 rifle search continues....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let's put it in its simplest terms. The hesse receiver is even worse than the Century. If you feel lucky you will buy it and get a mediocre rifle. If your luck is average you will get a piece of garbage.
Some of the better builds are of course the HK and FMP. There is one made in Pakastan also that is very good but I don't recall the name. An obscure one that is great in the INDEP which is actually an FMP but was made in the munitions building and not in the regular shop. Then there is the PTR which I have not seen but has very good reviews.
Pay a few bucks more and get something worthwhile. If you plan to depend on it for your life a good one is the only way to go.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
The HK91 is probably the best 7.62X54 rifle that was introduced.
Hold on - there are NO hk91 or clones in 7.62x54R. They are 7.62x51 or 308 Winchester.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice. Using the info I found here and a little heavier research I founf out that this is indeed a clone. And as mentioned not a great one at that. My .308 rifle search continues....
Good call. If you bought a Hesse receivered clone - it would be a parts kit that you just bought to put a new receiver into....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had my HK91 since the early 1980's. They will only shoot about a 2 inch group at 100 yards. The only time mine did not fire in all these years was with a cheap aluminum surplus mag. Never use cheap mags with anything. Heavy and having a strong recoil they are not the best close quarter combat weapon. With a scope and on some kind of rest platform they would make a great rifle taking on waves of attackers from 50 to 400 yards.

If you live in crowded area buy a .223 AR rifle.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Im looking at a friends HK 91 he has for sale.
I suggest you go with either a PTR-91, M1A or DS Arms SA58 FN/FAL.

The PTR-91 probably has the lowest cost of ownership of any 308 / 7.62 nato rifle on the market. A buddy of mine finds PTR-91 magazines on sale for less then $5 each,,,,,, sometimes as low as $1 each.

If you go with a PTR-91, I doubt you will regret it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
www.cheaperthandirt.com has aluminum G3 magazines on sale for 97-cents apiece. I went with the CETME's initially for the price. I did shoot all three before I bought them. Total cost was around $400 cash money for the first two, the last one was one of the ones built in Bloomington, Ind. Under $300 with five magazines.

The Mailman brought me sixty of the magazines last week. About 2/3rds worked and ejected well. The others just needed a little "personal attention" from a Dremel tool.

I am pleased...

ISS

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have a Cetme and dispite the crappy trigger (I would do a trigger job myself if I ever get the time and a diagram), it's a nice shooting rifle. Really a swing or a miss, I got a good one, other people have bad ones. It has ugly welds, but runs like a champ with acceptable accuracy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.