Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to move to Wisconsin and I'm planning on deer hunting this year. I can only afford to buy one long gun prior to hunting season. If anyone has any advice on why one would be better than the other, please let me know. Here are the three I'm considering:

Remington 870: I can pick one up for about $350, I can use it for pheasant hunting and home defense as well.

Ruger Mini Thirty: More expensive but I feel more comfortable taking down a deer with a rifle. Short enough overall length to use in the brush or home defense.

Remington 783 30-06: Cheaper than the Mini Thirty, comes with a scope, and I could use it for hunting big game out west. Not so great for home defense.

I'd appreciate any good advice on this, thanks.

·
Hating the new Amerika.
2,856 Posts
Are those the only choices? What is your budget? I am not a gun expert like a lot of others on here, but I have heard the Ruger Mini 30 is not that accurate. Do you have enough money to get enough ammo, an optic, and extra magazines?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,784 Posts
What are the hunting regs in Wisconsin? Some of the states in that area restrict you to shotguns or black powder only.

If allowed, I believe you would get more use out of a bolt action rifle in 270, 308, or 30-06.

If money is tight, I would buy a used commercial gun like a Ruger, Remngton, Browning, or Winchester.

Then I would save up enough for a 12 ga shotgun for the squirrles, ducks, and pheasants.

·
Registered
11,023 Posts
Savage Axis is decent and fairly cheap. Around 400. Doesn't have the really good trigger though but the stock one isn't completely horrible.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm getting ready to move to Wisconsin and I'm planning on deer hunting this year. I can only afford to buy one long gun prior to hunting season. If anyone has any advice on why one would be better than the other, please let me know. Here are the three I'm considering:

Remington 870: I can pick one up for about $350, I can use it for pheasant hunting and home defense as well.

Ruger Mini Thirty: More expensive but I feel more comfortable taking down a deer with a rifle. Short enough overall length to use in the brush or home defense.

Remington 783 30-06: Cheaper than the Mini Thirty, comes with a scope, and I could use it for hunting big game out west. Not so great for home defense.

I'd appreciate any good advice on this, thanks.
For home defense you need a pistol and a shotgun. If that's all you can afford then go with rifled slugs for deer hunting too.

·
Pig eatin' Infidel!
163 Posts
Marlin 1895G 40-70 for a long gun.
Shot gun buy a new Mossberg.
Plus everyone should own a 22 rifle and pistol. Buy a Henry lever action rifle that will shoot all lengths of 22 except magnum. Pistol I prefer revolvers.
My two cents worth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re:

The three I already listed are not the only choices, just the only ones I had any experience with (minus mini 30, a family member had one). The good news is I have a handgun and a couple of .22s, so I'm set in that department. As far as the price range, I would like to keep the rifle/shotgun purchase under $400. I don't mind paying extra for optics and ammo. It will probably be another year or two before I buy a second long gun, depends on how tight money is. Thanks for all the advice so far, good stuff.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have two of the 783s in .270.

Very accurate out to 600 yards, maybe further. Within 1 MOA.

270 is a necked down .06

No complaints about trigger. one is adjusted to 2.5lbs and the other at 2.75 lbs. 2.75 is better and the 2.5 will be adjusted up to 2.75lbs

·
survivalist
2,462 Posts
I like the 870 with slugs or buckshot for close work.
Another option I have not seen listed, A used older model marlin 336, in 30-30.
You can usually find several around the gun stores. (especially around tax time) The supply dries up a few weeks before gun season.They are fairly reliable, maneuverable and pack enough punch without being too big. Ammo is cheap, and available at damn near ever store that ever sold ammo.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,593 Posts
If money's tight and you just want to kill deer, nothing wrong with a Remington 770.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7ILmiLtsw

I have one in .243 with SS barrel and synthetic stock.
Extremely accurate. Nice beater gun. I wanted a flat shooting varmint gun.
The bolt is sticky but works. I bought mine new with scope for under $300.
Used you can find them for $200.

I would go a bit larger caliber for deer like .30-06 or .308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoI85kBsf6U

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
re:

Thanks folks, lots of good information for me to chew on. I'm heading out to a couple of gun shops to take a look at some of the suggestions and compare.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
The three I already listed are not the only choices, just the only ones I had any experience with (minus mini 30, a family member had one). The good news is I have a handgun and a couple of .22s, so I'm set in that department. As far as the price range, I would like to keep the rifle/shotgun purchase under $400. I don't mind paying extra for optics and ammo. It will probably be another year or two before I buy a second long gun, depends on how tight money is. Thanks for all the advice so far, good stuff.
ruger american in 308 is a good gun and priced very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts