Survivalist Forum banner

Advice for everyday boots?

8K views 70 replies 52 participants last post by  para54 
#1 ·
For the longest time I have been using work boots provided to me by an old workplace, but they are starting to fall apart. I have snow boots, hiking boots, dress shoes, and sandals; but unless I'm doing something that'd require those I usually just wear my work boots. Style wise I would like to stick with boots that have mostly plain black appearance to them that way it doesn't look too out of place with jeans and a dress shirt and the like, and I need them to be somewhat water proof and good in all four seasons. Additionally, anti slip, steel toes, and electrical shot resistance would be nice but not required.

I saw a pair of boots the other day on sportsman's guide for below 40$, anybody know if they are any good? Under $40 sounds great, though I'm worried they'd be poor quality. Regardless, I'm open to plenty of suggestions. Ideally, the cheaper the better, though I'm not totally closed off to the idea of spending a fair bit for an exceptional pair.

#33 ·
Have a Redwing store close by? They have a good array of boots to choose from. I got a pair of safety toe boots fro work before I left, they gave us a $130 credit plus the store gave us an additional discount. The list price was $169 and they are comfy, broke in easily.

Now they are $189.

#34 ·
The boots I wear every day to work are some Justins. They look like cowboy boots, but have knobby vibram soles, insulated, waterproof for about 5 hours, and have a steel tow option. This model comes either black or brown.

I wear them every day here in Western Montana, from 98 degree July afternoons to -25 degree February mornings. They get beat to hell every day, since my job as a septic pumper can be rather strenuous. They’re on my feet as I type.

Another guy that I work with has Carolina boots. He’s had this pair for about 4 years.

#35 ·
I stay away from the china boots.
There are American companies making boots for reasonable prices.
Thorogood, Carolina, and Revolt, are made here using primarily USA made components
Georgia Boot, Danner, Keen, Chippewa, Justin, and Wolverine are also made here but use mostly non USA manufactured parts.
As already stated, boots are a personal decision. That said, I have been using Thorogood products for over 25 yrs.

#36 ·
Go to your local Red Wing store. You might have to take a drive to another city, but totally worth it. Tell em what you want the boot for and try on a few pairs. Spend between $200-300 dollars. I'm partial to the Irish Setters because I hike, The Elk Hunters are sweet nice too if you want a higher boot for snow or combat. and when you wear them out you can get them resoled. Laces replaced and if anything breaks they repair it in their store.

#37 ·
This is a very broad topic, even for “everyday” boots as it depends on your occupation, lifestyle, seasonal changes, and environment.

I have gone the minimalist route for myself. I still have a dozen plus military issued and self-purchased boots, a lot of backpacking boots and shoes; some higher end Danner, Zamberlan, and Wellco combat hiking boots for off-trail terrain, and a variety of decent, “work-casual” boots.

If I had to choose every day wear, I would probably go with my Belleville Mini-Mil boots. Kind of a thinner sole, very low heel rise jungle boot. Light, comfortable, tactile, good ground feel with little foot fatigue. If I’m not in minimalist sandals working around the house, I’m likely in a pair of my Mini-Mils. I have a black pair that doesn’t get used a ton, but if I did more traveling away from home and had to choose a pair of boots, that would be it.

All that said above, if I wanted heavier duty boot, I would be looking a good pair of stitch-welted, Vibram-soled boots. Heavy boots suck, tall heels suck (for me), most people really don't "walk" far with heavy boots. I want fast and light...the best foot protection is fast feet! ;)

ROCK6

#40 ·
I know this thread might be trying to find the holy grail of boots….but there isn’t such a thing IMHO.

get the right boots/shoes for the job. Here is what I prefer.

1. For hiking and hunts in the back-country under decent weather conditions: Lowa Alpine or Kenetrek Boots
2. For general garden or yard work, calf high Muck Boots.
3. For sub 20F temps and snow, shoveling,etc, high Cut Arctic Muck Boots.
4. for General work around the garage; Merrel or Keene Boots/shoes.
5. for House shoes, Birkenstock (don’t judge).
6. Sailing, barefoot.
7. Beach, Sandels Or flip flops.
8. for everyday casual and work wear, Ariat Boots.

If you have different pairs for the job, your boot/shoe wardrobe should last you a long time. Quality matters.

#41 ·
Definitely going to look into the Redwings, Seira, Ariat & Bramah boots as well. As for the steel toed boots I work at a desk most of the time so I don't have a huge need for them, but I'm still wearing steel toed boots from a previous job and have come to like the safety of not having my toes crushed. I do currently get some exposure to heavy stuff in areas with large amounts of electricity, and anti-slip is nice for ice and water, so I do still like the idea of having those qualities even if they aren't as necessary for me anymore. Though since they're no longer a requirement for me I'm still okay overlooking some of those features if the trade off is decent.

#45 ·
I like Keen boots with a composite toe option. Maybe check them out. You will be spending close to $200 a pair though. I learned many years ago that when I find a pair of shoes I like buy a couple extra pairs as they usually get changed or discontinued. I'm working on my second pair of boots that I bought in 2016 right now. Very glad I bought them now but at the time I was questioning spending the extra money.

#47 ·
How about a good quality pair of cowboy style boots? There are ones that come with thicker, work style soles but still look a bit "dressier" than the other style of boots. Except for when we are actually out working, cutting wood or something, we seldom ever wear any type of footwear besides cowboy style boots.

#48 ·
My everyday boots dont have to look nice, but must be capable of withstanding all day abuse in steep mountains that I live in. That includes all season wear. On my property your always on steep terrain and walking on the side of your soles. Takes a good boot to do that. I've got some $200.00 + Redwings that have flat out failed on a trail. As in any personal choice, your needs come 1st, looks ? Well I don't care about that.

#50 ·
I currently have Merrill Moabs in wide width, and like them for the toe room.

I see a lot of people wearing Keen hikers in the grocery store.

People say the comfort of Reebok Rapid Response or Sublite boots, is like wearing running shoes.

Both my sons wear Rocky Aztec wellington boots, and love them.

Hope you find a pair that feels good in your feet.

#51 ·
While not anti-slip, cowboy boots have served me well for years. I have used the Ariat brand for many years and they hold up well. There are workwear cowboy boots with aggressive tread for outdoor use, however I personally don't wear those. Another pair that I've used is my standard issue hot weather Army combat boots, however mine began to crack midway through the soles.

#53 ·
I have a pair of Rocky hunting boots that someone gave me. They are probably my favorite pair. I have had them at least 5 years now.
I have recently switched to Merrill’s at work and I have been happy. The Rocky boots are my wear around boots mostly. Got a nice pair of Merrells for wearing and switching between those and the rockys. I have three or four pairs of merrells now because they are great boots.
I have had rocky alphas and I am really hard on boats. The shorter the boot the better they have lasted for me.
Keen makes some nice boots.
I have had pretty good luck with Skechers boots. They are comfortable and pretty durable. Price is affordable.
I see a lot of people wear the new style military boots. I have never worn them so I can’t say how they are but I see many people wearing them.

#54 ·
My husband rotates 70/30 between Wolverine work boots ($100 range) and Frye engineer boots ($300 range). He is hard on shoes. Gets 2 years out of the Wolverines, and closer to 10 out of the Frye. Wolverines generally need new laces halfway through, so I always keep a few spares in case.

#55 ·
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but speaking of cowboy style work boots, what do y'all like? I'm about finished with my last pair of Ariats...they were great but I found they have discontinued them (of course).
I'm having trouble finding anything without the new square toe look...I don't like the look and it's not great for riding either.
Any thoughts...?

#65 ·
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but speaking of cowboy style work boots, what do y'all like? I'm about finished with my last pair of Ariats...they were great but I found they have discontinued them (of course).

I'm having trouble finding anything without the new square toe look...I don't like the look and it's not great for riding either.

Any thoughts...?
Personally, the best (pointed toe) cowboy boots I've owned have been Tacovas. Now, I don't ride horses but my wife and I do a lot of country swing dancing 😁 They are very much the most comfortable cowboy boots for my feet. I avoid most heeled footwear (as close to zero-degree rise as I can), but aside from the heel, they feel like moccasins. Their leather soles don't last long with hard use, but they are now making some synthetic sole versions.

Big, heavy, all leather, 8 inch logger style boots. Definitely the best pair of steel toes I ever had.
Much depends on your work environment, but man, I can’t imagine wearing eight-inch, heavy, all-leather logger boots all day! And yes, I grew up in the middle of the logging industry in the PNW. I’ve always seen those as short duration work boots on real steep, uneven terrain with a lot of ankle-biters. Heck, I hated wearing all-leather combat boots for most of my career and when the minimalist boots came out meeting regulations, I jumped all over them. Again, I conceded footwear needs to be adequate for the environment they’re needed for. I was in a combat environment as an advisor; some advisors even wore ties. My attire was combat casual, yet I still wanted boots that could hold up to walking long flight lines, rocky helo-pads, in and out of up-armored vehicles, short durations in weather extremes, etc. It wasn't hard-boot wear, but typical office shoes would get destroyed in that environment after a couple months. Looks actually mattered when the flag officers were around...again, that was a particular environment I was in at the time and it influenced my footwear.

My everyday boots are Danner Vicious 4.5" with composite safety toe. I can't think of a boot that makes me feel more securely planted when walking and they don't look like hardcore workboots either. Can blend in with casual clothes no problem.
Those aren’t bad. I’ve never had to wear reinforced-toe boots, so I’m a little ambivalent about their need for “everyday-use" outside of working with heavy equipment. I have a pair of Danner Jack II boots I used in Afghanistan, for that “combat casual”, but I’ve worn them on more casual days in a corporate-type of work environment (three-star command HQs). They fit in pretty decently except with dress slacks; they’re great with jeans, khakis, heavier dress pants, etc.

Defining “everyday” is pretty vast. My current office-type environment is a poor example to assess quality footwear. If I can walk 4-5 miles on a trail in my footwear without causing too many issues, they get a temporary pass. If they hold up for a few years, I’ll give them a full pass. The biggest challenge with footwear is that as soon as you find a pair that fit your environment, are comfortable for your feet and activities, and are durable enough to last multiple years for your lifestyle and activities….and then buy a second pair before they’re discontinued!

The only way around this (and avoid a room full of boots and shoes), is find a good, reputable boot maker and once you work the measurements and fitment, save your pennies and order a second pair. Break both in over time and rotate for longevity or just keep the other pair as a backup when you send your first pair back for new soles.

ROCK6

#59 ·
I usually wear Danner and Chippewa but I'm trying a pair of tractor supply brand ridge cut have had them a couple of months so far hunting , working around the farm and they've held up well so far. I will give my final review after a year. Cleaned up all my Danners and Chips beeswax and polish put them in the foot locker. Except for one pair of Danners which after cleaning kept them out for dress casual wear out.

#63 ·
The company I used to work for bought managers one pair of steel toes every year. Even the managers who never, ever went out on the production floor. Anywho, the last pair I bought before I retired were Chippewa. Big, heavy, all leather, 8 inch logger style boots. Definitely the best pair of steel toes I ever had. Even better than my Danner steel toes. Pretty much zero break in period needed. I need to try some of their hunting boots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.