Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I have been using work boots provided to me by an old workplace, but they are starting to fall apart. I have snow boots, hiking boots, dress shoes, and sandals; but unless I'm doing something that'd require those I usually just wear my work boots. Style wise I would like to stick with boots that have mostly plain black appearance to them that way it doesn't look too out of place with jeans and a dress shirt and the like, and I need them to be somewhat water proof and good in all four seasons. Additionally, anti slip, steel toes, and electrical shot resistance would be nice but not required.

I saw a pair of boots the other day on sportsman's guide for below 40$, anybody know if they are any good? Under $40 sounds great, though I'm worried they'd be poor quality. Regardless, I'm open to plenty of suggestions. Ideally, the cheaper the better, though I'm not totally closed off to the idea of spending a fair bit for an exceptional pair.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Unless I were planning on wading with them, I’d never buy “jungle boots”. They aren’t “valves”...they are holes with screens. They let water go both ways.
They serve a purpose, in conditions where you are GOING to get water in your boot, and you don’t need insulation nor long service life...they are one answer.

What exactly were your old work boots? Can’t you get them on the open market?

·
Learning
6,734 Posts
Those jungle boots won't last. You have to spend over $100 to get something that is comfortable and decent quality. Carolina is my current workboot, but I hear good things about Jim Green and Silverado.

My next boot might be a $500 pair of handmade JK boots though

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Nicks is the right answer for REAL work boots. And they do “everyday boots” But you’re looking at $450-$600. Hand made. Completely rebuildable

Casual Work Boots - Light Duty Leather Work Boots | Nicks Boots

A lot of people like Merrill Moab boots. Waterproof, composite work toe, under $200. 4” up to 8”, black, brown sand and a few other colors.
Moab 2 8" Tactical Waterproof Boot

Their Vertex is another look
Moab Vertex Mid Waterproof Comp Toe Work Boot Wide Width

I honestly can’t recommend a boot for under $100. There LOTS of $50 “boots”, but they’re really just cheap tennis shoes with lugged soles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been wearing Merrell Phaserbound for 4 years now, in both tall and mid height. I love them. They are a bit heavy if you're not accustomed to wearing cap toe boots, but the hike and backpack VERY well. They have great flexibility during scrambles. They perform well in town and on road. They are EH rated, cap toe. I've put probably 2500 miles on each of my current 2 pairs and the tread is still good enough that I did a hike in 3" of ice/snow 2 days ago without issue. They claim to be waterproof, but I'm skeptical, maybe a good water resistant at best, but even in deep snow there is no water intrusion. I wear an 11 medium width, and the fit is perfect, they wear comfortable in thin socks in summer and thick wool in winter. I don't think I'll ever find another pair of boots that I like this much, honestly.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,535 Posts
If you want a decent pair of boots at a good
price, go to some outlets.

Once a year I go to Clarks outlet and ask for
water resistant boots. I take my wife and
they always have large discounts. Last
time it was buy one pair get a second of
any boot for 20 dollars. Sometimes the
water resistant models are not on display,
in my size, thats why I ask for them.

As Ajole said, I also like Merrill Moab Boots,
but their outlet does not discount them much
if at all.

Boots are a prepping item for me, I buy more
every year and wear several pair every week.
This keeps my feet happy, and fungus free,
ever since the Army taught me to rotate my
boots.

In the long run, rotating 5 pair of boots will
save you money because they last longer
when you only wear them after you have
completely dried them.

People who wear one pair of boots 5
days a week, have more blisters,
fungus, and on average can't hike
as far (in a emergency) without
foot problems.

·
Adventurer
1,404 Posts
I am always storing up cheap boots for SHTF and every day usage. The "Magnum" brand are awesome boots....and budget priced.

I have also had good luck the "LABO" brand of boots.....Also budget priced.

Any boots sold on The Sportsmans Guide at really low prices are going to be junk for sure..... I speak from past experience with them.

I know they are not cheap, but good old Timberland boots are really good..... You can find them for 80-90 bucks on sale sometimes. I own a pair and they hold up really well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am always storing up cheap boots for SHTF and every day usage. The "Magnum" brand are awesome boots....and budget priced.
I am on my first pair of Magnums...really surprised at how comfortable they are, and durable so far...all for $70 (for the 8" tall). I will definitely buy more. Rather have several pairs of a comfortable boot than one pair that isn't quite right.

I also have a 'cowboy style' boot that is like wearing slippers. Made by Ariat. I just got lucky with them, you'll need to try on a lot to find the right pair....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am on my first pair of Magnums...really surprised at how comfortable they are, and durable so far...all for $70 (for the 8" tall). I will definitely buy more. Rather have several pairs of a comfortable boot than one pair that isn't quite right.

I also have a 'cowboy style' boot that is like wearing slippers. Made by Ariat. I just got lucky with them, you'll need to try on a lot to find the right pair....
Ariat are good work boots. I work with livestock, and gravitate toward Justin boots also. Can't say enough good things about a quality pair or two of boots that are well out of the $40 range. I used to buy cheap footwear, and had to replace pairs several times a year. It took me awhile to realize that the quality, pricier boots save me money in the long run.

·
Indefatigable
22,052 Posts
Boots are such a personal decesion. You might have to try 10 pair before you find the right ones. I have worn Wolverine and Red Wing for decades. Hubby hates them and won't wear anything but Ariat.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Here's a great video that compares inexpensive to expensive boots. Might help you make a decision.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
For the longest time I have been using work boots provided to me by an old workplace, but they are starting to fall apart. I have snow boots, hiking boots, dress shoes, and sandals; but unless I'm doing something that'd require those I usually just wear my work boots. Style wise I would like to stick with boots that have mostly plain black appearance to them that way it doesn't look too out of place with jeans and a dress shirt and the like, and I need them to be somewhat water proof and good in all four seasons. Additionally, anti slip, steel toes, and electrical shot resistance would be nice but not required.

I saw a pair of boots the other day on sportsman's guide for below 40$, anybody know if they are any good? Under $40 sounds great, though I'm worried they'd be poor quality. Regardless, I'm open to plenty of suggestions. Ideally, the cheaper the better, though I'm not totally closed off to the idea of spending a fair bit for an exceptional pair.

Being an older man [ me ] I have too much time & shekels on my hands.

That 'allows' me to buy & try FAR too many boots for all uses.

Hunting,shooting,motorcycling,walking,and if the moment should arrive while I can still move = then also for SHTF moments.

I own FAR too many pretty high end boots,and my best advice to you is.

Go to a LARGE supplied store where you can try on MANY brands and then actually waste your time in the store to walk around for at least 15 minutes in the few you have finally chosen.

As I found a too often ,that when I got home and wore the boots I had purchased ---- they pooped the bed.

I own & wear L.L.Beans,Red Wings,Thorogood,Irish setter,Danner.Sketchers,

Good luck.

·
reluctant sinner
18,876 Posts
I suggest you get 2 pair of boots made for your feet. Yes they will cost more and they will last for decades if you take care of them and IF made by a good company so it will only be pennies a day to have good boots. What happens when your cheap boots fall apart and there is no resupply or you don't have the mark of the beast so you can't buy or sell.

Learn to sew by hand. A Speedy Stitcher is a good tool. Tandy Leather's artificial sinew is good stuff. A big needle and carbide jaw needle driver's or your multitool plyers will work at keeping your boots together for a while. ShoeGoo is good stuff but it needs to dry for day and it doesn't stick good to oiled leather.

·
reluctant sinner
18,876 Posts
I have White SmokeJumpers myself. I went to the factory and had them measure my feet and then make my boots.

This outfit makes good boots in the same fashion, there are others such as Nick's

·
Registered
53 Posts
Being an older man [ me ] I have too much time & shekels on my hands.

That 'allows' me to buy & try FAR too many boots for all uses.

Hunting,shooting,motorcycling,walking,and if the moment should arrive while I can still move = then also for SHTF moments.

I own FAR too many pretty high end boots,and my best advice to you is.

Go to a LARGE supplied store where you can try on MANY brands and then actually waste your time in the store to walk around for at least 15 minutes in the few you have finally chosen.

As I found a too often ,that when I got home and wore the boots I had purchased ---- they pooped the bed.

I own & wear L.L.Beans,Red Wings,Thorogood,Irish setter,Danner.Sketchers,

Good luck.
agree 100%. This summer I knew I needed to upgrade my shoes, so I went to a local camping and hiking store, and walked around picking out 14 different pairs of boots and shoes that I liked. Then I tried them on and quickly discarded a bunch. Got down to 5 pair, tried them on again in quick succession and walked around in them. Got down to the last two and walked around for longer and just those two.

Landed on a pair of Keens that are great. If I had just gone with the brand I was thinking about when I came in, I would’ve gotten “good but not great” shoes for my feet. Really makes a difference to take your time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts