Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all. I stumbled upon this site while looking up information for a KA-BAR which I received as a gift from a friend. Don't get me wrong; I am an Eagle Scout and have had my fair share of using knives in an outdoor setting. However, scout knives do not come close to the level of qualify of combat knives that I'm sure you guys are familiar with. As I mentioned, I have a Becker Eskbar that came with cord, a fairly large sheath, and a handle (???)

I'm presuming that the object on the right is a handle for the knife (I've been told by a friend that it's referred to as a "scale") but I am unsure on how to attach it to the knife. Should I get a hex screwdriver and simply unhinge the them?

Most combat knives that I've seen use cords as the handles as oppose to this "scale" so I have been unable to find any information about this scale.

In addition, come someone recommend a good sharpening rock for a novice?

With all that said, I look forward to being a part of this community even with my limited experience.

PS Please excuse my basic vocabulary regarding knives and such :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You should be able to take the two halves apart and then fit them on the knife. They just give you a different option. You can use cord to make a more comfortable grip or go with or without the scales.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Use the correct wrench to take the scales apart and then sandwich the handle between them and tighten them up. Welcome, Im an eagle too.

·
Ready
307 Posts
Not wanting to sound like a jerk but, you're an eagle scout and can't figure that out? Nuts and bolts bro, try first then ask for help when you can't figure it out. Try first, then ask for help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the world of knife enthusiasm hehee, well first off i heard that the eskabar doesn't have exact form fitting scales yet (dunno if they have made ones for it yet, i heard this a long time ago) , so you most likely bought the Izula scales, however they say that those can fit the eskabar with slight modifications to it. Basically you just unscrew the hex screws, you will need 2 hex keys, 1 for each screw to fully tighten them though. Do not over-tighten because you can strip the base. As for a stone, have you used a sharpening stone before? I'd recommend a lansky puck, Because it is very versatile, you can use it without lubrication, you can lay it down and sharpen small blades like the eskabar in the same manner of a traditional stone, and if you aren't good with keeping angles perfectly like me, then you can just hold the puck in your hand and use it in circular motions to sharpen the edge. It comes with 2 sided medium grit and fine grit. Also can be used for axes machetes etc etc. Compact too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts