Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still scratching my head after reading this article, on the front page of the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/invisible-child/#/?chapt=1

It is a very long, 5-part article detailing one family living in the shelters and off the dole. The parents do not seem to have any pride or shame or any desire for independence. They take no responsibility for themselves. They are parasites and the perspective of the author seems to be that they should be getting more resources. Aside from my questions about how the heck we got here as a society, I was thinking about a SHTF situation, or a TEOTWAWKI scenario. As it seems like more and more people are becoming like this, are there advantages to that for survivalists? (ex., when resources are scarce these people will die off quick) However I can see disadvantages as well, especially in some type of Red Dawn situation.

Thoughts?

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
There are absolutely no advantages to having people like that in this country. It's like a disease. There are however people that are now homeless because our new economic plan is to wipe out the middle class.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
people like this will either die or step up to the plate and fend for themselves, however they will very likely find it much easier to join a group of raiders than actually obtain things honestly. as would be the case for a large majority of the population I think.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Are these folks not living off the land?

Sadly, many of them might survive a SHTF.
No, they are living off of the kindness of strangers and the benevolence of our leftist government using other peoples money. (mine and yours)

Al

p.s. OP, the link didn't work for me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
people like this will either die or step up to the plate and fend for themselves, however they will very likely find it much easier to join a group of raiders than actually obtain things honestly. as would be the case for a large majority of the population I think.
Their idea of fending for themselves is stealing from you and me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry

For some reason the link is not working. The name of the story is the"Invisible Child". It was published in the NY Times on December 9, 2013.

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
Think about it like this... We already have people and families in desperate straits. If things get much worse we will have more people and families in desperate straits. Eventually that crowd will become a mob. It will not be a nice group of people but a mob that will be run on the fuel of desperation looking for a meal. And that meal might include you. Don't count out cannibalism with a truly hungry and desperate mob. Think about that one for a minute.

Their EBT cards don't work in the machines. They need something to eat. You're not one of them. They can't find any cats, rats or stray dogs because those have long since disappeared and now YOU come be-bopping along the street looking all fat and sassy. You're all alone and there's about 20 of them. Besides if you kill or seriously wound any of them they can finish those off later or use them for food as well. That's when you sense them starting to head out after you.

Somewhere through this attack it dawns on you, "Dang! I wish I had watched more of the Walking Dead t.v. series. I could use their adventures like a training film right now. Note to self: Study Walking Dead series of shows." This is why some of us refer to bad guys as being like zombies. Zombies is just another word for "bad guys." But in a survival situation, in a large urban area, zombies can also mean cannibals too.

During WW2 in Stalingrad, there were reports of some people bringing dead people into their homes, butchering them, cooking them and eating the dead people. Rumor had it that Russian military police units, I believe that they were called NKVD troops, had orders to automatically shoot any and all cannibals that they caught or discovered. They also supposedly had orders to shoot any civilians who were also found "in the immediate area" just to make sure that nobody would spread the word about cannibalism happening in Stalingrad. But that was an urban area inside of a war zone, you know, sort of like being in a large American urban area after the dollar collapses and/or financial collapse occurs here. I guess that such evil could happen here and we did have Jeffery Dahlmer operating in a larger American city, didn't we? How long did he get away with his cannibalism? Just something to think about and make you more aware of situational awareness.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This sort of family nearby can be quite usefull!
Any bad stuff happening in the area will automaticly be blamed on them
if they did it or not!
That can be used to your advantage!

·
Officer Friendly
1,158 Posts
Hunger is the best motivator. Ever fed a stray cat or dog? They keep coming back because they know you will feed them. If you don't feed them, they will go hunt or starve to death. Most of these useless people would be productive to some degree without the government coddling them.

·
Rational Being
1,976 Posts
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/post-editorial-times-homeless/2013/12/10/id/540954

A spokesman said: “New York City provides families in need, including this one, with subsidized health care, child care, shelter, job-training, counseling and placement services.” The spokesman also revealed to the Post that the family receives cash assistance as well.

"For this family, shelter, rental assistance and food stamps alone have added up to nearly half a million dollars since 2000," said the editorial. "In addition, Medicaid covers health care.

Yeah. The author of that story seems to have engaged in a lot of creative writing that was easy to pick apart. Lots of response articles out there already.

That family alone has received more aid and assistance than I could imagine. They need to stop the pity party and get real.

Screw SHTF scenarios. I want these peoples' hands out of our pockets NOW.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I was thinking about a SHTF situation, or a TEOTWAWKI scenario.
At the start of WWII, Hitler used such people. He scared them away from the battlefield/his advancing troops towards his enemy to slow them down and eat up their resources.

I don't know how you could use that trick today.

·
Rational Being
1,976 Posts

I couldn't figure out how to link to the original picture, so I'm just posting a copy of it here. This is directly from the article. This is the family's 540 sq ft living space. What do you see?

Here's what I see. I see a home. I see protection from the elements and from people who would do them harm. I see more clothes (clean!) than I own, myself. I see clean beds. I see a television. A large television that is either hooked up to cable or a dvd player. I see that they take no pride in their home, that they don't fold their clothes or make their beds or clean the floors.

They live so much better than the homeless and poor in other countries. And there is no thanks, whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts