Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding recurve to a bow stave does several things to enhance it. I'm not going to delve into what recurve does, as most people who are familiar with a bow will already know. If not, the WWW is you friend.

There are many methods to placing recurve on a bow stave. Unfortunately, most of these methods are pertaining to laminated bows and call for a bent piece of wood to set the recurve. While this is practical for modern bows, I have yet to find any information on placing recurve to a bow in a primitive manner.

This gets my noodle turning, and I believe I may have a simple solution to this, which can be done using simple tools. Keep in mind that I have not experimented with this type of recurve addition to a bow, but have used similar methods. I do not see why this will not work, but there may be something I have overlooked. If this is the case, please let me know so that I can update.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, gather the required materials:
- a green bow stave (unseasoned)
- a straight piece of something that is less flexible than the bow stave (wood, pipe, etc)
- strong string
- clamps, strong tape, etc
- peg

Begin by marking the center of the straight material. For the purpose of this article, it will be a board. In the direct center, place a hole through it that has the same diameter as the peg.

Tie the string in one big loop. When the loop is stretched taunt, it should be tight on the bow stave without bending it. In other words, it should be just a tad bit shorter than the bow.

Secure this string to the bow stave at its ends. Place the back of the bow stave (the portion of the bow that will be away from the shooter) onto the board, bringing the string on the opposite side of the board. The board will be sandwitched between the bow stave and the string.

Tightly clamp the bow stave to the board, leaving the string unclamped. The entire bow stave should be clamped.

There should appear to be two strings running down the length of the board on the opposite side of the bow stave. Place the peg in between these two strings. Begin twisting the peg. This will twist the strings, and will shorten the length of the strings. As the strings are shortened, the tips of the bow stave should begin to curve around the board. Continue to slowly adjust the string until the desired angle of tip recurve is achieved. If, at any time, it appears as if too much stress is being applied to the tips, place the peg into the board to hold the recurve in place at this point and allow the machine to rest. Continue this process until the desired angle is achieved.

Once the desired angle of recurve is achieved, tighten the machine a bit more to compensate for the bounce back that will be obtained when complete. Insert the peg into the hole in the board to hold the recurve in place.

Set the whole unit aside and allow the bow stave to season. When removed from the recurve machine, the tips may flex back slightly, but will yield recurve tips.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an image of the side view and back view of the rig. It demonstrates what the machine should look like when the recurve is complete and waiting on the bow stave to season. The top image is a side view and the bottom image is a back view.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts