Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following several threads on here about recoil impulse.

The question I have is this:

Let's say I have an M16 bcg and was to drill and tap a hole under the bolt at the back of the bcg so that I could insert weight and lock it in with a set screw. I could then play with the amount of weight inside the BCG in order to adjust it to perfection for my particular gun and load.

What do some of you guys think of this idea? Would a heavier bolt cause damage or early wear?

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I think it will probably cause more wear and tear on the bolt itself, it was designed with the M16 BCG in mind adding more reciprocating mass doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

You could try it and it may work out.

Reactions: rikisarahdennis

·
Barbaric and dishonorable
747 Posts
I've read before about people ordering an h3 buffer and trading weights out. This way you could set up an h and an h2 to carry to the range and try out.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
I have been following several threads on here about recoil impulse.

The question I have is this:

Let's say I have an M16 bcg and was to drill and tap a hole under the bolt at the back of the bcg so that I could insert weight and lock it in with a set screw. I could then play with the amount of weight inside the BCG in order to adjust it to perfection for my particular gun and load.

What do some of you guys think of this idea? Would a heavier bolt cause damage or early wear?
So in your other thread you wanted advice on the Best AR and then dressed down people for posting in your thread.

So now your a AR engineer??? What are you after here?

HH54r

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So in your other thread you wanted advice on the Best AR and then dressed down people for posting in your thread.

So now your a AR engineer??? What are you after here?

HH54r
I was merely asking questions because of my own ignorance. I am a bit of an engineer and am always looking to improve everything. I am fascinated with anything mechanical and it's performance.

The thread you mentioned was to obtain information. There is so much conflicting information about who is better and which companies have issues and then you find out that while everyone likes one company and hates another, that the parts are built by the same manufacturer.

I am honestly trying to get down to the root of the issue.

If I rubbed anyone wrong, I am sorry, I had no intentions of doing so. I really am just trying to learn everything that I can.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am thinking that if the weight of the bolt was increased, you could slow down the rate of fire for one. Also you could adjust that for different loads. Finding the right combination of bolt weight, spring tension and buffer weight, I am thinking that a person could fiddle with it to get the most out of the system.

Now for the .223 this is ok and I may not find that much benefit to it, but I am in the middle of building 2 new AR's one in 300 whisper and the other in 6.5 Grendel. Depending on the loads for the 300 whisper, this could help quite a bit. For the 6.5 Grendel, I am positive it would help.

I was hoping that others on here might have some ideas about it as well. If you do great if you don't no big deal. Just trying to do a little brainstorming with others.

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
So I am thinking that if the weight of the bolt was increased, you could slow down the rate of fire for one. Also you could adjust that for different loads. Finding the right combination of bolt weight, spring tension and buffer weight, I am thinking that a person could fiddle with it to get the most out of the system.

Now for the .223 this is ok and I may not find that much benefit to it, but I am in the middle of building 2 new AR's one in 300 whisper and the other in 6.5 Grendel. Depending on the loads for the 300 whisper, this could help quite a bit. For the 6.5 Grendel, I am positive it would help.

I was hoping that others on here might have some ideas about it as well. If you do great if you don't no big deal. Just trying to do a little brainstorming with others.
As others have stated before, this specific reason is why there are different weight buffers as well as stiffer springs.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what are the specific part #'s for the buffer and springs for the 6.5 Grendel and the 300 whisper in each of their loadings?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts