Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
OP, I was like you, just 12 years ago. Got 4 cheapies, 2 SBR's and a few pistols configs. Have more than enough, too many really. But you know how it is.

You should also think about a NATO, esp SBR. They will get them just from the concussion in CQB!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Somebody is going to have to explain how me and my group can hold more than one rifle and still engage....?
Now if someone is looking long term at sales, you could possibly clean up

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Somebody is going to have to explain how me and my group can hold more than one rifle and still engage....?
Now if someone is looking long term at sales, you could possibly clean up
First off having a backup ar15 makes sense. Secondly members of your group may not have a back up rifle so having extras makes sense third somebody may come to your BOL who doesn’t have a rifle or backup rifle BUT is still able bodied and you need them
On your team ( friends , family , etc ).

·
Registered
555 Posts
You need a new FFL!

Mine is a flat rate of $20 period. I could order 50 firearms and it would be $20

He must be family. Around here $15 per might be the best you get from a "outta my house" FFL. Good luck getting those guys on the phone. I think they just do it for their buddies. $20 EACH is the best for a real store. One used to do $20 then $5 additional but they stopped. This is stripped lower or full gun, no difference. Does make you have to weigh options if looking to order even when lowers were $40. Basically ends up the same price as a lgs.

Luckily I am sitting on some stripped lowers and some parts.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,821 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,290 Posts
He must be family. Around here $15 per might be the best you get from a "outta my house" FFL. Good luck getting those guys on the phone. I think they just do it for their buddies. $20 EACH is the best for a real store. One used to do $20 then $5 additional but they stopped. This is stripped lower or full gun, no difference. Does make you have to weigh options if looking to order even when lowers were $40. Basically ends up the same price as a lgs.

The indoor gun range near me does FFL's for $20/box, up to 10 serial numbers. There are guys who work out of their house that I've seen post $15 but I believe that's per S/N & all the ones I've seen that are that low are at least a 1/2 hour drive 1 way.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,698 Posts
Well, while one could argue just have a single lower with multiple uppers (scope for distance, red dot for short range, night scope for varments, 7.62 for larger game, etc) I find switching a pain at times so I just have multiple rifles. Besides, I enjoy building out 80% lowers.

What cracks me up is people who insist on having 50 different Mosin Nagants.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looking to build 8-10 .223/5.56 NATO AR-15s. They will be an addition to my suburban/rural survival properties' defensive strategy as well as for light hunting (if necessary).

I feel it's important this collection of weapons is:

Light weight (All day carry)
Resists exposure to the elements (extreme cold NOT a factor)
Shares interchangeable parts
Accurate + take-down capable up to 200 yds (human)
Can reliably eat crap ammo (Not the plan, but want the option)
Build for less than $600

Don't care about looks.
Don't care about full auto.
Don't care about competitions.
Don't care about long range sniping.
Don't care about impressing anyone.
Don't care about Uncle Sam tracking me.
Don't care about messing with 80% lowers.
Don't care about close quarters engagement.

The size of my junk is NOT directly proportional to the amount of $$$ I spend on an AR-15 and I subscribe to the possibility an inexpensive AR and the above named requirements are NOT mutually exclusive.

After building, these units will be tested with 30 rounds put through em, be cleaned and then go into long-term storage.

So far my research has led me to believe I may be successful with:
PSA upper $360 (if I can find a blem)
Anderson lower $40
Cheap-ass red dot $100
PSA Lower kit $120

I don't intend for this to turn in to a pi$$ing match of what company produces better or worse stuff. I get it, PSA and Anderson have had issues and don't exactly maintain the gold standard. Consider me informed. If you can provide and alternative that will accomplish my goal, please, by all means, you have the floor. Just rather avoid the subjective rants that have zero useful information.

Again, the basic question is, "Can I build a successful AR with the specifications mentioned above for under $600?"

What am I missing here? Tell me why I'm doing this wrong.

I'm open to the possibility of a 223 Wylde, but haven't see one at the necessary price point.

Barrel Length: 16" (middle of the road with portability, accuracy and weight)
Gas System: Midlength (Bolt velocity, gas port pressure, dwell time)
Barrel Profile: A2
Barrel Steel: 4150 Chrome-Moly Vanadium
Barrel Finish: Nitride (Just as good as chrome lined for elements in my research)
Chrome Lining: None
Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
Chamber: 5.56 NATO
Twist Rate: 1:7
Barrel Extension: M4
Diameter at Gas Block: .750
Gas Block Type: Low-profile
Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: M4
Handguard Type: PSA 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok Rail
Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
Bolt Steel: Carpenter 158
Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-auto
Charging Handle Included: Yes
Optics: Magpul MBUS Front and Rear Flip-Up Sights, Black
Fire Control Group: PSA Enhanced Polished Trigger (EPT) FCG
Overall Length: 24.5"
Weight: 4.0 lbs

So after a couple months have you decided on or done anything?

This thread started before the riots and all that. As things are now, my magic 8-ball isn't forecasting a dip in price or surge in supply before the elections. Prices are up and availability is down everywhere.
PSA has a bunch of "pistol" uppers available but the rifle ones are out of stock. Those of us who bought during the "golden years" mid-Trump presidency really made out.

AR's are still highly interchangeable/compatible but I don't know that you could even get a lot of 10 of the exact same thing anymore. Maybe if you had an "in" with a bulk buyer or something but not for the average Joe Citizen shopper.

If you're looking to outfit a squad/group/family with the exact same weapon, manual of arms, ammo, spare parts, all the way down to the details.....Nomad 2nd's idea of 2 SKS for the price of what 1 AR will cost you nowdays looks better and better.

Yeah they used to be $99. We don't live in the past, we live in the now, and now they're 1/2 price of an AR...and available.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts

Nope found him randomly a few years ago with a FFL finder online.

Fellow vet, cultivated a relationship and now we are buddies.

Brought him some deer sausage for his bday and he tossed me 6 Troy Battle Mags for free. Sent him plenty of business and take him on hog hunts.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Don't forget to buy slings and something to carry spare magazines.

I like the bandoleer option https://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/M-O-L-L-E-II-Military-Bandolier-Woodland-Camo-p/bandolier.htm

You can get them cheaper on ebay if you go with acu or desert camo patterns.

Might also want to grab a bunch of medical kits also. Tourniquets, combat bandages, quick clot.

Then if you are really going all out with this idea. Combat vest with plates.

https://www.ar500armor.com/plate-ca...ges-w-armor/ar-freeman-plate-carrier-pkg.html Probably the cheapest and basic option out there.

Also big supporter of iron sights. Batteries fail.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't forget to buy slings and something to carry spare magazines.

I like the bandoleer option https://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/M-O-L-L-E-II-Military-Bandolier-Woodland-Camo-p/bandolier.htm

You can get them cheaper on ebay if you go with acu or desert camo patterns.

Might also want to grab a bunch of medical kits also. Tourniquets, combat bandages, quick clot.

Then if you are really going all out with this idea. Combat vest with plates.

https://www.ar500armor.com/plate-ca...ges-w-armor/ar-freeman-plate-carrier-pkg.html Probably the cheapest and basic option out there.

Also big supporter of iron sights. Batteries fail.
Also good points.
Medical, supply, logistics, and general day to day needs often get overlooked and are the Achilles heel of any group.

There's a reason there are several people taking care of things behind the scenes for every one trigger puller there is up front.
It's because that's the only way you can SUSTAIN whatever action it is you're embarking on in the first place. Even if it's just effectively manning defensive positions.

People need to eat, people need to sleep, equipment needs to be taken care of, supplies need to be obtained and delivered, and a whole bunch of other things need to happen in order for the pointy end to do what it does.

You gotta be able to support them in what they do else you leaving them hanging. Don't do that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes you can build a gun for just under or around $600 if you shop around for parts and buy in bulk. Buying parts in bulk might be a good idea for building spare parts kits. Brownells, Midway, Stag Arms are good sources of parts in my experience. I personally wouldn't put a red dot optic on a cache AR15 and leave it at a carry handle or some other field adjustable A1 fixed rear sight. A sling, mags (and a way to carry them) and a cleaning kit are probably in order an I am sure you thought about that already since you're talking long term storage).

You have lots of options to build from completely from parts or buy uppers and complete cheap lowers.

You could also shop around at some of the online places and see if you can get a quote for uppers or lowers since your looking at 8-10 of them. Maybe this will reduce your cost on the guns and leave extra for accessories or spares, etc since the seller will be dealing in a larger order.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The holosun 403s r very nice for the price. I think up you can find the, now for $129 as far as the AR builds, I would try to go with the CHF PSA uppers on at least a couple of your builds.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
The OP should have bought when he first asked, as there was NO "dip" and won't be for the foreseeable future.

What was a $400 gun is now a $600 and climbing.

·
Registered
34,379 Posts
The OP should have bought when he first asked, as there was NO "dip" and won't be for the foreseeable future.

What was a $400 gun is now a $600 and climbing.
I think Trump will be our next president and prices will start falling in January.

I traded an AR for a S&W 19 4" + cash earlier this week.
Literally got paid to take a classic Smith.:thumb:

This panic has been SOOOO NICE for my collection. AR's make GREAT (inflated price) trade bait!

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
I think Trump will be our next president and prices will start falling in January.

I traded an AR for a S&W 19 4" + cash earlier this week.
Literally got paid to take a classic Smith.:thumb:

This panic has been SOOOO NICE for my collection. AR's make GREAT (inflated price) trade bait!
Prices falling greatly depends on how the left reacts to a Trump win.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts