Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build 8-10 .223/5.56 NATO AR-15s. They will be an addition to my suburban/rural survival properties' defensive strategy as well as for light hunting (if necessary).

I feel it's important this collection of weapons is:

Light weight (All day carry)
Resists exposure to the elements (extreme cold NOT a factor)
Shares interchangeable parts
Accurate + take-down capable up to 200 yds (human)
Can reliably eat crap ammo (Not the plan, but want the option)
Build for less than $600

Don't care about looks.
Don't care about full auto.
Don't care about competitions.
Don't care about long range sniping.
Don't care about impressing anyone.
Don't care about Uncle Sam tracking me.
Don't care about messing with 80% lowers.
Don't care about close quarters engagement.

The size of my junk is NOT directly proportional to the amount of $$$ I spend on an AR-15 and I subscribe to the possibility an inexpensive AR and the above named requirements are NOT mutually exclusive.

After building, these units will be tested with 30 rounds put through em, be cleaned and then go into long-term storage.

So far my research has led me to believe I may be successful with:
PSA upper $360 (if I can find a blem)
Anderson lower $40
Cheap-ass red dot $100
PSA Lower kit $120

I don't intend for this to turn in to a pi$$ing match of what company produces better or worse stuff. I get it, PSA and Anderson have had issues and don't exactly maintain the gold standard. Consider me informed. If you can provide and alternative that will accomplish my goal, please, by all means, you have the floor. Just rather avoid the subjective rants that have zero useful information.

Again, the basic question is, "Can I build a successful AR with the specifications mentioned above for under $600?"

What am I missing here? Tell me why I'm doing this wrong.

I'm open to the possibility of a 223 Wylde, but haven't see one at the necessary price point.

Barrel Length: 16" (middle of the road with portability, accuracy and weight)
Gas System: Midlength (Bolt velocity, gas port pressure, dwell time)
Barrel Profile: A2
Barrel Steel: 4150 Chrome-Moly Vanadium
Barrel Finish: Nitride (Just as good as chrome lined for elements in my research)
Chrome Lining: None
Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
Chamber: 5.56 NATO
Twist Rate: 1:7
Barrel Extension: M4
Diameter at Gas Block: .750
Gas Block Type: Low-profile
Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: M4
Handguard Type: PSA 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok Rail
Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
Bolt Steel: Carpenter 158
Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-auto
Charging Handle Included: Yes
Optics: Magpul MBUS Front and Rear Flip-Up Sights, Black
Fire Control Group: PSA Enhanced Polished Trigger (EPT) FCG
Overall Length: 24.5"
Weight: 4.0 lbs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would wait and buy on the dip.

Prices are up currently, and I believe it likely there will be a small window between "PANDEMIC" AND "ELECTIONS"

I put 22 "together" (unasembled, but complete) in Feb for right at $300 per.

Picked up 200 magazines @$5/pop in Dec or Jan.

Oh hell yes I’m waiting for the dip. Just getting my ducks in a row so I can be ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you are ok building from scratch....

$370 shipped. Then you need a lower and RD. So $510

https://www.22mods4all.com/5-56-nat...ride-builder-kit-1-8-twist-12-mlok-handguard/

Now in your list I don't see a LPK, stock, buffer, tube, etc. Also some of the prices are before shipping and tax. Does that need to be a factor?Above has everything but the stripped lower including the BCG and CH and no cheap plastic handguards.

Before everything blew up, you could get some of their cheaper kits tgat were about $50 less but they stay Sold out.

Also here are 2 stripped lowers for $66, $12 flat rate shipping, so 10 for $342...

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=143766&avad=211021_c1ae9ee59

If you are planning on 8-10, Then it might not be a bad idea to pick up a couple extra rifle kits above to have a complete set of parts. If not at least buy some LPKs and buffer springs.

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
Without trying to look up every possible part since you're apparently too lazy to do it yourself, I will say that these kits when in stock run $340-$500 (prices shown in pic below) depending if on sale or not. https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-...per_barrel_length=1380&upper_gas_length=1377#

I'd opt for the CHF version for a bit more. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-heavy-rifle-kit.html

Better still since your requirement for a human target is 200 yard capable this kit will be more than enough. The 5.5" over a 16" isn't going to lose you much, especially at 200 yards. It will be lighter & easier to maneuver include getting in & out of vehicles.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-chf-5-56-nato-1-7-classic-shockwave-pistol-kit-black.html

That's the CHF kit the non CHF kits are less & have a few more options. https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/pistol-kits.html?caliber_multi=2304,2477&dir=asc&order=price

Attachments

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
I don't know what your red dot budget is, but I tried cheap red dots and was not at all satisfied with either their durability, ability to hold zero or reliability to turn on after setting in the closet for some time.

Maybe an inexpensive scope? (not cheap, inexpensive)
I've had good relatively luck with red dots under $120, even under $100. But when these get back in stock, I'm hoping to grab a couple, not 8-10 but at least 2 would be nice.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-rotary-knob-25mm-microdot-with-2-moa-dot-reticle

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
I'd also say if you're good with putting them together & especially doing 80% lowers you can get bulk packs of them, or 100% lower bulk packs too, but no FFL fees on the lowers or complete firearms. If you get charged $25 per lower & get 8 lowers or complete rifles that's an extra $200 right there, $250 for 10. That pretty much pays for the jig. I've used this one & works great. Usually if you wait till a big sale, like Memorial day 4th of July, etc. You can get even better deals. I got mine on the 4th of July a few years back the jig was on sale & also got the tool kit thrown in for free, usually about $65.

https://www.5dtactical.com/ar-15-80-lower-jig-p/5d-jig15.htm

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
2 thougjts:

I'd do irons over a $100 red dot.

You should be able to pick up 2 SKS'S under $600, and you'd just need strippers, not mags.
This^^^^^^^

And if he went with a combination front sight/gas block he would only need a rear sight.

You could go even cheaper and buy surplus detached carry handles with rear sights built in.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I’d wait. Before the pandemic you could get ruger and M&P sports for less than 600. And You can prolly get a few PSA complete rifles for that too. Why build ?

If you check out zeroed in armory from Houston they will assemble rifles from whatever parts you want for very good prices.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,875 Posts
"Can I build a successful AR with the specifications mentioned above for under $600?"

Sure, but why bother? I see 4 reasons to build vs buy factory

1) you enjoy it
2) you want something different, better, or more tailored than you can buy
3) you want the understanding and skills to repair the platform
4) "80%"

I don't hear any of that in your post. You want 8-10 basic units to stash for a rainy day. You're PSA's target customer.

Eating crap ammo.... a carbine length gas system will eat stuff a middy won't. At the expense of recoil and high round count parts wear. A broken in rifle will eat stuff a new one won't and it will perform better. Reconsider your 30 round plan.

"Don't care about close quarters". Your call I reckon, but if that's how it is then something magnified or an A2 rear sight would make more sense than a 1X optic.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts