Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty excited. I've pulled the $ trigger on the pieces to start learning long range shooting.

Savage Axis in .308 - most bang for the buck in a starter-rifle IMO

Review: http://www.snipercentral.com/bushtact.htm
Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x with target turrets and mil-spec reticule

Also ordered:
EGW one piece scope base http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-edge/axis-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/
Harris Bipod S-BRM Swivel Bipod-Leg Notch 6"- 9"

I'm going to have my smith mount and bore-sight it as well as give it a good action/trigger smoothing down to maybe 3 pounds.

This is intended to be a starter rifle to allow me to teach myself long-range shooting. Will probably spend around $700 after all the goodies, and I want to try a multicam spray-paint job just for kicks.

My goal is to be cold-bore dead-on accurate to 600 yards in whatever conditions I encounter. After that, I will drop a good $2000-3000 on a really nice sniper rifle and this one will live in the truck.

Comments/Suggestions?

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
Geez, I hate you. Couldn't you post your great news somewhere gun addicts can't see?
And of course the pictures. Are you a sadist?

Don't forget to give a range report with pictures of the obliterated 10 ring from 600 yards, that'll help.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I wouldn't have bought the Edge/Axis because unlike other Savages...the Edge/Axis you cannot upgrade. That is the best thing about the Savage/Stevens 200 is that you can upgrade to a better barrel and stock when money permits, but the Edge/Axis does not allow one to do that...you would have to sell that rifle in order to upgrade.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't have bought the Edge/Axis because unlike other Savages...the Edge/Axis you cannot upgrade. That is the best thing about the Savage/Stevens 200 is that you can upgrade to a better barrel and stock when money permits, but the Edge/Axis does not allow one to do that...you would have to sell that rifle in order to upgrade.
As I stated, I chose this rifle as a starter/learning rifle. I researched and can/will add what I want on this model. When I upgrade later, I will purchase an entire new setup and this whole package will become a truck gun.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
So I'm pretty excited. I've pulled the $ trigger on the pieces to start learning long range shooting.

Also ordered:
EGW one piece scope base http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-edge/axis-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/

I'm going to have my smith mount and bore-sight it as well as give it a good action/trigger smoothing down to maybe 3 pounds.

This is intended to be a starter rifle to allow me to teach myself long-range shooting. Will probably spend around $700 after all the goodies, and I want to try a multicam spray-paint job just for kicks.

My goal is to be cold-bore dead-on accurate to 600 yards in whatever conditions I encounter. After that, I will drop a good $2000-3000 on a really nice sniper rifle and this one will live in the truck.

Comments/Suggestions?
Buy lots and lots of ammo. If you are going to shoot out ot 600 yards you have a long learning curve ahead of you.

Good Luck

HH54r

Reactions: Grevlin

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But lots and lots of ammo. If you are going to shoot out ot 600 yards you have a long learning cruve ahead of you.

Good Luck

HH54r
I hear you...I've been reading up a bit with a few books and researching aspects of long range shooting for a few months now (besides researching weapons and gear.)

I'm looking forward to the humbling experience of actually sending some lead down range.

Ammo will be expensive because I've decided to find a good quality round that the rifle (and I) like and stock just that ammo- not the usual cheap = practice, quality = carry method I use for handguns. I do have some sort of cheap Remington ammo that I will use to break in the barrel during the first range visit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks like a good start - weapon, scope, and more importantly - attitude. :thumb: If I may suggest, keep reading everything you can find on long range shooting, before you pull a trigger. Get a basic feel for what is required to hit a "faraway" target.
I was lucky to have been taught by some of the finest instructors around (thanks to Uncle Sam). :D: If at all possible, try to find someone in your area that shoots long range - Then, ask questions - pick their brain for all you can - most shooters will be happy to share their knowledge with you.

You seem to good sense - you're starting off slowly, doing the needed research, willing to learn...keep it up!!! You'll really enjoy the challenge of long range shooting. And please, keep us advised as you progress. Thanks, Dan3

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
I'm a fan of the 168g Federal gold match ammo out to 600yds.
Your biggest challenge is learning windage adjustments. Once you get out past 400yds or so, the wind really starts to make a big difference.
Keep a data book record that includes wind conditions and load used.

·
Registered
965 Posts
thats awesome, ive been talking about getting a 30-06 or .308 setup for a while now and i just dont ever seem to have to extra cash to do it. Good luck with the long range shooting im jealous

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think you forgot rings and a sling.

So your going to get good with this rifle, then move to a different platform and have to completely re-learn your gun?

Good luck.
I've ordered some other gear including rings and a sling along with some other goodies. I'll post pics as it gets put together.

And, yup, the next rifle will be a serious rig and I will learn that one also - part of the process for me.

I just can't see myself learning on a $3000 setup - seems silly.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Nice rifle

Zero @ 100 w/168 match bullets. Group at 1" or less.

Then click roughly 60 up and take a 600 yd shot. You should be high and can come down from there. Adjust to zero for your rifle and load. I bet you'll be on 5" steel in no time.

Enjoy

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice rifle

Zero @ 100 w/168 match bullets. Group at 1" or less.

Then click roughly 60 up and take a 600 yd shot. You should be high and can come down from there. Adjust to zero for your rifle and load. I bet you'll be on 5" steel in no time.

Enjoy
Just that easy :D:

The harder part might be to find a 600 yard range in North Carolina :eek:
(Might have to drive out to the "sticks")

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'd return the aluminum scope base and get some steel ones. Aluminum is soft and your scope rings can come loose. Warne makes great bases.

I agree on the rifle choice. I'd go right off the bat and buy a bull barrel gun. If you're going to learn to shoot at 600 yards, you need a gun that can handle heat well. Good hunting rifles start to open up after 3-5 shots. A bull barreled rifle will give you more shots per range session.

A starter rifle can be a lifelong rifle if selected wisely. I know little of custom rifles. However, an affordable choice is the savage 110 action. I'd buy a nice used 110 savage, maybe look round for custom mausers, or used 700's. You can buy tons of parts for an affordable price.

Overall, an excellent start package is a .223 bolt action rifle. If you can hit a coyote at 500 yards, you know what your doing with a rifle. Also, back again to heat. .223 burns 25 grains of powder, .308 burns 50 grains. Which one is going to heat up first?

This is why I like the lower power cartirdges. I just can shoot more rounds and still have good results than other rifles.

when you sell a rifle, you loose money. Just keep saving up a bit more for the right setup. You must also consider the ammunition costs lost with selling a good rifle. Now you must spend the money again learning what the gun likes. That can easily be a few hundred dollars right there.

Once you start shooting alot, the price of the equipment is pale in comparison to the ammunition. Start with the keeper.

Also, not too many folks in the USA have places than can readily shoot 600 yards. I learned a ton trying to shoot a .30-30 at 300 yards. Your building skills and considering the equipment temporary, that sounds to me like you should get a .223 rifle.

·
Banned
3,508 Posts

Also ordered:

Comments/Suggestions?
You did well. I have a total of 3 Savage bolt actions set up with the Bushnell 3200 Tactical scopes. A Model 10-FP, a Model 12-FT/R both in .308, and a model 110-FCP/K in .300 Win. Mag. All of them are very accurate weapons.

My choice was the Bushnell 3200 5-15X. I have a total of 5 of them mounted on my Savages, as well as a Kimber 8400 Police Tactical, and my Bushmaster BA-50, .50 BMG rifle. I can easily reach to 1,000 yards with both .300 Win. Mags., as well as the .50 BMG. These scopes offer IMHO the most brightness and clarity for the money. They out perform several of my Leupolds in both of those categories. Bill T.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
I hear you...I've been reading up a bit with a few books and researching aspects of long range shooting for a few months now (besides researching weapons and gear.)

I'm looking forward to the humbling experience of actually sending some lead down range.

Ammo will be expensive because I've decided to find a good quality round that the rifle (and I) like and stock just that ammo- not the usual cheap = practice, quality = carry method I use for handguns. I do have some sort of cheap Remington ammo that I will use to break in the barrel during the first range visit.
Billt260, I too like Savage, I have a 12FVSS in .308. One fine rifle

OK brother, he's my run down:
1) Once you get the rifle from your gunsmith. Take it to your range and site it in. Never let anyone else work with the scope or the rifle past this. If you have issues, repair them yourself. This way, you will know ALWAYS what to expect from this rifle.

2) Keep a very good log book. Put EVERYTHING in it. The break-in process, how many rounds you will ever shoot. Scope adjustments, as well as your wind dope and range information. Shooting information for any given day...

3) Ammo is a must. Find a round you and the rifle like and stick with it. Chrony it for that data. I use Hornady 169gr AMAX out to 600 yards. You will need a heavier bullet for better distance. Buy what you can afford and stock.

4) Watch as much as you can when other distance shooters shoot. Try and make friends and ask questions once you have shot for a while. Distance shooters can be hard to befriend but once you do. You will be in their click.

5) Read as much about the subject as you can. Get videos pertaining to this subject.

6) Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice...

7) Choose different days to shoot. Some cold, some high wind, some rainy. Shoot on them all.

8) Have fun. After all this is what it is all about. Even if you never learn to shoot past 300 yards and you do that well. Be pround of that.

HH54r

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Why the 600 meter first round cold bore shot? Is there something specific here that you're trying to do? And are you talking about a human sized silhouette target? I so, why not get a scope that will range better for you? With the Leatherman scope system below you sight in on an 18 inch area and that gives you the ballistic shot factor you need/want for any shot. Just curious...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leather...rt-m1000-2-5-10x44-riflescope-art2510x44.html

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why the 600 meter first round cold bore shot? Is there something specific here that you're trying to do? And are you talking about a human sized silhouette target? I so, why not get a scope that will range better for you? With the Leatherman scope system below you sight in on an 18 inch area and that gives you the ballistic shot factor you need/want for any shot. Just curious...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leather...rt-m1000-2-5-10x44-riflescope-art2510x44.html
I'm trying to learn as much about sniper skills as possible. Besides the other skills like camo, stalking, and terrain observation, I'm also working on general fitness and hiking. (Not really talking about all that in this thread)

For my first "learner" rifle, I wanted something with the basic features like target turrets and mil-spec reticule. 600 yards cold-bore seems like sort of a borderline for shooters and rifles, with 600+ being pretty advanced and would likely require an advanced rig.

I'm setting up this rifle like a field rifle and not a bench shooter.

Now, that scope you linked to seems VERY cool - I'd consider that later on after I learn all the basics. Maybe even as an upgrade to this rifle after I've moved on to a more advanced rig.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts